Ubis Hot End Dimensions

Ubis Hot End Dimensions

Postby PaulRac » 2012-Apr-Thu-18-Apr

One of my main questions for quite a while before I received the kit is what mount the extruder needed to mount it. From what I could find there were at least 2 that looked like the Ubis but they each had different dimensions. It's pretty much the same mount as a J-head hot end. It fits in correctly. I do have a bit of an issue with the 2 screws that pin it in place, but that could just be caused by the parts I had printed.
Here are the dimensions of it if anyone else is interested:

PaulRac
Waiting for extruder temp...

Ubis Hot End Dimensions

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ubis Hot End Dimensions

Postby drmatrix » 2013-Feb-Tue-13-Feb

I have been having some issue w/my Ubis hot end - can't extrude -
have tried all the suggestions I could find in this wiki / board

Have ordered a replacement but considering replacing with a different hot end. Any suggestions??

Also I measured (or attempted to) the channel in the Ubis hot end as 3.47mm (will insert an image when I figure out how)

Walker

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drmatrix on 2013-Mar-Fri-14-Mar, edited 1 time in total.
"the plastic must flow"
drmatrix
I'm an end stop.

Postby jgunn » 2013-Feb-Thu-16-Feb

What sort of issue are you having specifically? Is the hot end getting hot? Can you manually push filament through?

jgunn
Loading filament...

Postby drmatrix » 2013-Feb-Fri-15-Feb

A filament feeding issue

Will feed for about 2 - 3 cm and then will not feed any further, some will slowly "drip" out - but it just stops. And, it can not be pushed through by hand - even with considerable force.

see this thread
http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2465

I have a new hot end coming from PB - guess I got lucky went to the sight and there was one so just ordered it! :D

Will let you know
Walker

"the plastic must flow"
drmatrix
I'm an end stop.

Postby scantrontb » 2013-Mar-Thu-00-Mar

that sounds more like the heater is not up to the proper melting temp and you are trying to force UN-melted 3.0mm filament thru a 0.5mm hole... what does your thermistor say the temp of the extruder is?... and whatever it is set to, bump it up by about 5 degrees and try again... ABS needs to be around 225-235 deg C and PLA around 185 if i recall, (i don't use it so i forgot.) if you have the capability, get an independent temperature reading from both your nozzle and bed heaters and compare them to the whatever they were set to in PF... a few deg difference is good, but if you are off by like 20+ deg, there is something else wrong... we can troubleshoot this later if that's the case. also, if you still need help after these suggestions, go ahead and start a NEW THREAD in the troubleshooting forum and not go any further OT than we have already in THIS thread...

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby drmatrix » 2013-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

I checked that -
Got an IR thermoter and checked the temp on the IR vs what Pronterface; and were in aggrement -
Bumped the temp to 240 - 245 and no joy --
disassembled - cleaned - reassembled - multiple time - no joy

Got a new hot end from PB and PRINTING !!!!!

It was a BAD hotend - kept it for parts - ie the Thermister and the 0.4mm port and the insulation and ? the Ceramic etc. -

But now all is good w/the world (at least my printing world) and birds are cherping - and sky is blue (well excpet for the dust - we are in our Spring dust storms from March though April - that is our Spring - Desert Rats)

Thanks for the help

Walker

"the plastic must flow"
drmatrix
I'm an end stop.

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Fri-11-Mar

IR guns are in inaccurate and especially for small things like the extruder. please do not quote temperatures for the extruder you measured with the IR gun - fine for your own use, but extruder temps are somewhat critical and if you say "I printed that at 230C" and you are referring the temp you read on your IR gun, you might as well say "i printed that at somewhere between 180C and 250C". for the extruder either use the temp reported in your host software (which is also going to be inaccurate, mine is out at most my 20C" or better yet get a decent digital thermometer and temp sensor. but definitely IR gun on the extruder - bad.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Tdeagan » 2013-Jun-Thu-11-Jun

I know this post is old, but it's still useful! I used the dimensions at the top to create an OpenSCAD model of the Ubis at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:103189.

Tim Deagan
KC5QFG
(optional Dual Extrusion) Printrbot Plus V1 [3/2013]
bed stabilizers, bed levelers, Y & X belt tensioners,
50mm fan mount, LED ring light, Z-axis screw Isolators,
Z-shaft stabilizers,optional Bowden conversion, GT2 belts/pulleys,
M8x1.25 Z Screws, Flex. Z-couplers,
RAMPS 1.4 w/ LCD,
Quick Change Extruders:
Option 1- Dual hybrid geared Wade's/Bowden w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis,
Option 2 - Dual direct geared Wade's w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis
Option 3 - Single geared Wade's w/ 3mm or 1.75mm Ubis