What would you replace your Printrbot with

Postby jweaver » 2017-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

Hi all.

I am a proud owner of a Printrbot Simple Metal. Its been faultless and never failed me... I have an E3D extruder (which has always been a little disappointing, especially the top surface) and a heated bed and it does everything I want.

Oh yes.. I also use the old version of CURA (direct via USB) and it does everything I want.

For the pass few months I have been mass producing a little part which I have been selling, and have now made over 2000.. And I just think that its too much for my Printrbot and perhaps its time to think about upgrading.. No particular reason, but I with some of the profits, it would be nice to buy something a bit more substantial.

That said, I don't want to spend 1000s on something like an Ultimaker, would but like something good.

If you were looking at upgrading (or perhaps you already did), what would you buy?

Ideally I would like:

- The same or larger bed (Perhaps 200x200x200)
- Heated bed with the ability to realistically print ABS (My printrbot heated bead is amazing for PLA, but I gave up with ABS).
- Direct USB printing from CURA.. I am sure there is better software out there, but I am happy with CURA.. I know that the majority are happy printing from SD, but I would prefer to continue with USB printing.

The Flashforge Creator pro has been recommended, but I am not convinced it can print directly from CURA which puts me off.. The Wanhao i3 Plus looks interesting, but I wonder if its a bit too much of a budget solution.

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon

jweaver
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What would you replace your Printrbot with

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jul-Tue-12-Jul

Printrbot Plus or Simple Pro? Make parts with both. Since it's the same part just put it on an SD card and run both printers without a USB connection.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Tue-18-Jul

You really can't go wrong with the Prusa I3 MK2S. Prusa has been refining it nicely, from the Original Prusa I3 -> Prusa I3 MK2 -> Prusa I3 MK2S. Build it as a kit to save a bit and learn how it all works together. It's easy to build with a great build guide, just be patient and take your time.

The only drawback to the Prusa is that it comes from the EU and because of huge demand they are back-ordered. They have been adding to their print farm, so the backlog should be going down. One fun thing is that they ship a package of Haribo candy with each order.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby AZBotr » 2017-Jul-Tue-20-Jul

I'm kinda like you - have the Simple Metal, been using it for a few years now, done some upgrades (bigger bed, heated), love it to death. And lately I've been wondering if it died what would I replace it with? Until two weeks ago hands down it would have been the Prusa i3 mk2. Lately however I've got my eyes on the Creality CR-10. Huge build volume, heated bed, outstanding print quality - oh, and priced in line with what we paid originally for our Metals (actually a lot less) Look into it on YouTube. Printing from SD on a Simple Metal is a PITA unless you get an SD "extension cord" If it's the pain of trying to align the mini-SD card into your printer that keeps you from printing via SD card seriously look into the extender. My printing life with the Metal has gotten so much better since using it.

AZBotr
Loading filament...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Tue-22-Jul

Yeah, the Creality seems to do real well for what it is, a cost-conscious implementation of existing designs, so I wouldn't fault anyone for going that route. I just wouldn't expect Creality to make earth shattering improvements to it though.

Prusa on the other hand is pushing the technology forward both in hardware and software and making upgrade kits available to customers as they improve the design. When you buy Prusa you are really investing in Joseph Prusa and he has a track record of improvements and innovation. Slic3r would be stagnant without Prusa's involvement. The MK42 heated bed that they developed is pretty much the best you can get. Prusa uses top notch components, not cheap Chinese knock-offs.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby jweaver » 2017-Jul-Wed-03-Jul

Cheers all. Really good info..

If/when I upgrade I really want something that will serve me well, and be as reliable as my Simple

A kit is fine (thats how I got my Printrbot) and I have made countless upgrades to it over the years.. But I think now the technology has matured, its time to buy something a little more robust.

I am from the UK, so perhaps a Prusa is a good plan, if they are based over here? Thats been one of my issues with the Printrbot, as they are based in the USA. Luckily I have a friend who moved to Atlanta, so he has bought a few things over for me.. But its not ideal.

The only thing that scares me is SD printing.. I just hate the idea, after having 2 years of faultless prints, going directly from the PC via USB.. I just can't imagine dumping my G-Code to SD and then kicking off each print directly on the printer..

I will have a good read on the Prusa.. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply.

Jon

jweaver

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Wed-05-Jul

Octoprint runs fine on the Prusa, as it does on the PrintrBot. So really the ideal setup is to do OctoPrint/PiCam. There are some really nice 3d printed Pi cases that mount directly on the MK2 frame as well as some Pi camera mounts that mount to the bed. It makes a tidy setup.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jul-Wed-06-Jul

Just curious - I don't quite understand the work flow with some of these printers.

I've never looked in detail at how Octoprint works. But here's the impression I have: You have a WiFi-enabled Raspberry Pi card - running Octoprint software - that's connected to your printer somehow (USB? some other connection method?). You would copy your .gcode file from your computer to the R-Pi via the WiFi. And then once the .gcode is on the Pi, you could use a computer anywhere in the world to log onto the Pi, see a User Interface for the printer, and start or control a print from there. The camera is an option to let you see the printer's progress.

Do I have that scenario correct? How large a .gcode file can the R-Pi absorb at one time? My biggest file is about 38Meg.

I guess tons of people start prints without directly interacting with the printer, but I don't understand how. The materials that I print with (T-Glase, nylon, and NinjaFlex) all ooze a fairly significant blob on the end of the extruder while it's warming up to temperature, and when it reaches temperature the chamber is near empty. So what I do is extrude about 20mm of plastic and pull the accumulated scrap aside with a pair of pliers while I give the Print command on Repetier. How do other people who run from SD card or run remotely get rid of that blob of scrap? How do they get the extrusion chamber filled again? Lots of brim around the outside of the part and hope for the best?

-RJ

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2017-Jul-Wed-12-Jul

RetireeJay wrote:
I've never looked in detail at how Octoprint works. But here's the impression I have: You have a WiFi-enabled Raspberry Pi card - running Octoprint software - that's connected to your printer somehow (USB? some other connection method?). You would copy your .gcode file from your computer to the R-Pi via the WiFi. And then once the .gcode is on the Pi, you could use a computer anywhere in the world to log onto the Pi, see a User Interface for the printer, and start or control a print from there. The camera is an option to let you see the printer's progress.

Do I have that scenario correct? How large a .gcode file can the R-Pi absorb at one time? My biggest file is about 38Meg.

That's pretty much it. Your printer is connected via USB to the rpi and Octoprint has a web ui that you can access through your web browser. The storage on the rpi is controlled by the size of SD card you choose. I'm pretty sure I've uploaded gcode files that are in the 30-40MB range, probably even larger. slic3r even provides an option to upload the gcode directly from slic3r to octoprint, so you can bypass the step of having to save it locally and upload through the browser. That's a real time saver.

For me, the number one benefit of octoprint is to have a way to run a printer w/o having to keep it connected to my laptop the entire time.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Wed-15-Jul

RetireeJay wrote:How do they get the extrusion chamber filled again? Lots of brim around the outside of the part and hope for the best?

-RJ

My printers are configured with a small -Y area. My start gcode primes the hot-end by going to negative Y and extruding a nice fat strip so the printer is ready prior to it even getting to the brim. That fat strip is something I borrowed from the Prusa start gcode.

For me the biggest advantage of OctoPrint is being able to keep an eye on my printers (they are downstairs) from my notebook and tablet. I like knowing that my prints are going well. For my Linux PC's wrote a QT app that has a small control/monitor window so I can keep watch while I'm doing other things. OctoPrint has an add-on called TouchUI that creates a nice interface on tablets.

There really is no limit to file size other than the size of the SD card that you have in your R-Pi.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby ktfergus » 2017-Jul-Wed-18-Jul

Just stumbled upon this on the PB website...their new "Printrbelt." Glad I don't have to figure out the software.

Here's a video of a comparable machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQY0iIToW0&t=0s

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
Latest Project: Flux Capacitor
ktfergus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby jweaver » 2017-Jul-Sun-08-Jul

After a fair bit of reading. I think i will go for the Prusa MK2S at some point.

I like the fact its a kit. And like that they are in Europe..

My other choice was the Flashforge Creator Pro, but i have read so many good things about the Prusa, it would be stupid to overlook it.

jweaver

Return to General