Upgrade paths for Plus V1

Postby tgfisher » 2017-Apr-Mon-16-Apr

Hello, I've been out of the game for a while. I have a Printrbot V1 (the old laser cut one), and I was getting it back into operation.

Lots has changed since I last printed (~2014) I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a new extruder/hot end, or if it was possible to add autoleveling without too much hassle.
Currently it is the old stock printed gears, and 3mm filament extruder with a 0.5mm nozzle.

Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks!

tgfisher
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Upgrade paths for Plus V1

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Apr-Mon-17-Apr

I found the E3D V5 to be a worthwhile upgrade. If you get the V6, you'll have to make an adapter because it's too short to work with the original extruder/hot end geometry.

I recommend bracing the Y table with aluminum angle irons to prevent it warping with heat, humidity, and pressure from the Y belt tension. There are posts about doing that.

I don't use and don't want an auto-leveling probe, but I did change the way the Z zero is sensed; that hidden screw with the jam nuts is nearly impossible to work with. You won't want to do what I did, but there are some other old threads about better Z adjustment (see Plexus, for example). It's really not that hard on a Plus to shim the bed so it's parallel to the X-Y plane, and once you have it, the geometry stays stable for months at a time - so there's no need for the auto-leveling probe. Also, doing this allows you to use glass on your bed, which is very flat.

I'm not sure if you can find injection-molded gears, or maybe metal gears; those old herringbone printed gears are pretty rough. Printrbot sold injection-molded gears for a short while and I got lucky enough to buy one set when they were available. You might ask them if they have any old unsold stock.

I'm perfectly happy with using 3mm filament. I have several nozzles, but the 0.4mm one is my workhorse.

My Rev D board died, and I'm on a Rev F4. At the moment, I'd say keep away from the Rev G board because it's not as well supported. Partisans say it can run faster and smoother, but the same can be said of a Jaguar versus a Toyota; did you ever hear the one about Jaguar owners needing two cars because one would always be in the shop?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby tgfisher » 2017-Apr-Mon-20-Apr

My old herringbone gears are looking a bit more than rough. I'll check on the extruder, thanks for the head's up on the V6.
I'd kind of like to stay with the 3mm filament, since I have a couple kilos of it (though I'll have to see if it is any good any more). I have some extra nozzles if I can find them here...
Good point on the leveling probe. I do have glass, binder clips and kapton, so I should be square there. I did get the platform leveling upgrade back in the day, but I never installed it since I already had it shimmed. If I'm out of wack, I'll try to find/install that.
My 1st print today reminded me on the need for constant Z endstop adjustment... I'll look into posts on that.

Thanks for the ideas,
Cheers.

tgfisher
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Apr-Mon-21-Apr

Drawcut's spur gears are still available on thingiverse. If you're not sure you can print a decent copy one of the printing services can do it for you.

Like RJ I snagged PB's molded gears and have been very happy with them

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby tgfisher » 2017-Apr-Tue-00-Apr

Got some gears on their way. Good to see some familiar usernames, Mooselake.
Cheers,
T

tgfisher
I'm an end stop.

Return to General