"0.1" mm layer height

"0.1" mm layer height

Postby david_isr » 2016-Sep-Wed-08-Sep

hey everyone! a while ago i saw a post somewhere on the internet, that stated the exact layer height jumps for the simple metal . for the "0.2" mm layer height I'm using 0.1984 mm, so what value should i use for "0.1" mm layer height ? and also what is the minimal layer height that anyone had ever experienced with ?

david_isr
Levelling print bed...

"0.1" mm layer height

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: "0.1" mm layer height

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

Use 0.1mm, forget about trying to calculate the "best" layer thickness. You're talking about 0.8% differences with a device that uses steppers that are +/- 5% and microstepping that might be +/- 20%.

It's like the old days, when I was finishing engineering school and affordable calculators were just becoming available and driving slyde drool companies out of business. Just because you can get all those digits doesn't mean they are relevant to anything. You won't be able the see the difference when an odd less than 1% thickness extra unprecise microstep occurs in the layer. Besides, since the default Printrbot firmware turns off the z motors between uses the motor will "cog" to the nearest real step anyway. Z wobble and lunar tides will have more effect than that .008mm difference.

The whole calculate the layer thickness to umpteen decimal places is an urban myth. Don't believe it? Try 0.2 and 0.1984 (a scary value to Mr. Orwell) on the same object.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

Agree with Kirk: it is a myth that you need to use layer heights that are an exact multiple of the single-step height; the benefit of doing this is basically imperceptible. You can just go ahead and specify 0.1mm
See this post about why exact layer height doesn't matter: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8195&p=52807#p52811
See this thread for pushing the limits of printing small (using small nozzles): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2755&p=39360

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Wed-17-Sep

I've printed at 0.05mm layers, Plexus has gone smaller. These are with highly tuned original Kickstarter plywood bots.

The best way is to try. You might waste some plastic, but you won't hurt anything. You'll need to slow down, and a smaller nozzle would be a good idea.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to General