Heated Bed Makeup:

Heated Bed Makeup:

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Tue-02-Sep

So I deicide to do a search on Heated Bed and got 3572 responses.
Not wanting to read that many I decided to simply start a new thread. Yes I took the lazy way out.

The only type of filament I have ever used is PLA. This is of course a little short sited, time for a change.
In order to do this I have to change my printing bed. So far I have only used an aluminum plate, no heater.

After much reading and some discussion I have decided to use glass for my next printing surface.
The primary reason for this decision is simple, on the average glass it is flatter than metal.
This means I will no longer be able to use the inductive probe to adjust the bed or does it?

The bed I am using now is 12" x 12". With a little modification of the screw holes to use a beveled head
I could then use a 12" x 12" piece of glass. Then for the heater use a 10" x 10" heading bed.
This would leave me a 1" perimeter to put some aluminum tape or perhaps metal flake spray paint down so that
I could still use the inductive probe.

If this works I would just have to remember to center my prints and not print anything bigger than 10".

Right now I am thinking of layering the following to make up the bed.
Glass, heater, Baking Mat, aluminum foil (reflective side up) and finally the existing bed.

I had originally considered using cork as an insulator so I did a little checking.
I sent out 4 inquires about the temperature range of cork. Of the 4 inquires I only got 1 reply.
I was told that the temperature range was from -200C to +130C. I feel that this was specific to what
this vendor was offering, but I'm not sure. For me this was a deal breaker.
I feel that +130c is not enough comfort room for between the hotbed temperature and the cork max.

I had remembered reading on here (somewhere) where someone (my apologies for not remembering who)
had use a baking mat for the heat barrier. I did a quick search and looked at 6 or 7 different baking mats
and found that they all had a high temperature range of 250c, a much better safety factor.

Does any of this sound feasible? What would you do differently?

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Heated Bed Makeup:

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Heated Bed Makeup:

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Tue-06-Sep

I use corrugated cardboard under the bed, which has lasted over 3 years so far without any problems. While Tim uses a silicone mat to keep the glass from slipping that never worked for me. That also puts the glass right on the heater (bought an Al bed, haven't installed it) do it heats up quicker.

Back in the archives I tried several insulators before settling on a shipping box.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Tue-18-Sep

Corrugated cardboard ... did you order something specific or did you just cut up a box?

How thick is it?

Also is it the main support, is that why you mentioned that you have not installed the Aluminum bed yet?

Where is the thermistor located?

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Tue-20-Sep

Plain brown shipping box cardboard, like the ones from Amazon.
Look at my build thread for a description what my bed and how I've modified it.

Kirk

Update: added build thread URL

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby sgibbers17 » 2016-Sep-Thu-09-Sep

You can still use the probe as long as the glass is not too thick. I use a printinz zebra plate on top of my aluminum heated bed, it has a copper layer on both sides so it can be used with an inductive probe. I have used it for a few weeks now and had only one warped print because I decided to try PETG without heating the bed, it is was a large print and had minimal warping and was still able to use it. I found that I was able to lower my temp on my bed and still able to get ABS and PETG to stick without any glue, tape, juice, ect. Do not use anything to help stick it to the plate or you will not get it off.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

sgibbers17
Levelling print bed...

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Sun-07-Sep

I'm making some progress. I have all the parts now, I'm at the point on deciding how I want to hold the glass down.
From what I can tell the clamps seem to be a popular way to secure the glass. Is there a reason to use a spring clamp?
Does the glass need to be under pressure or do does it just need to be held in place?

I'm thinking that if it just needs to be held in place, then I could print a corner stop and just use it.

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Sun-10-Sep

I've read about, but never tried (no alien probing here...) reflective optical sensors for bed sensing; piBot is a popular one but there's others including variants that use dual LEDs and sensors. No issue with where the metal is, just reflects off the nearest surface.

Hmm, maybe it'd make a good Z sensor replacement, even without all that probing (once year at the doctors is enough...). PiBot's are under $10 with their $5 shipping, might be a good time to order up a few and see how well they work. Should be pretty easy to add them to the side of the extruder mount on a plywood bot, and likely hot melt glue would work for the metal variants.

I ran across ( :oops: ) your circuit board, which I never got around to populating. Bad Moose. In a lame defense I've never finished the printr stand that it goes in, but all that's left for that is the wiring. Maybe after the Thingybot lands (in the anxious waiting for bot-doe periods, supposed to ship any day now), since I'll be tearing down the KCSP for the new aluminum bed and higher powered stepper motor, Z stiffeners, restore the moosely extruded, etc.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Sun-17-Sep

I have to admit that makes for a very interesting read and I'm tempted to try it.
I like the one from Filastruder, probably just because it seemed to have the most
information on setup and what to expect from it, also the video showing it working.
The price is a little steep at $25.00 but if I could get it to work properly with glass
it would probably be worth it. It would of course require the printing of a new mount
for the hot end and the "new" probe.
Might just have to order one and put it on my someday shelf.

As far as that circuit board goes, I do not remember which version I sent you.
In a couple of versions there was a trace error, so check the circuit before populating it.
Did I send any documentation with it? It's been a while since I looked at it.

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Sun-22-Sep

Kirk

I decided to try one, I will be using it with PEI, I'll let you know.
Setup will be RAMPS 1.4.

Don

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Sun-23-Sep

Kirk, does this look like this, if so your good it's the one I'm using.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Mon-12-Sep

No silkscreen, but the copper looks the same as your picture, and there's an included card that calls it a Rev. B. The envelope was mailed 6/25/2015. Way past time to get to it, the old codger disease must have struck again and I got distracted by the ever-growing project list. The BOM and schematic are in your previous topic iirc so it shouldn't be too hard to assemble and test. Thanks again!

The youngest moose girl will be here in a bit over a month to give a talk on being an entrepreneur at the local university, Mooselake (or something like that) Tech. She's made it her mission to clean out and organize the moosecave while she's here. Should make completing some of these projects faster.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby KD6HQ » 2016-Sep-Mon-13-Sep

Congratulations on Miss Moose, just make sure you are there for the re-org, else you will not know where anything is! :lol: :lol:

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Mon-16-Sep

KD6HQ wrote:just make sure you are there for the re-org, else you will not know where anything is! :lol: :lol:

You betcha. I often don't know where anything is when I do the re-org.

Mrs. Moose's approach often is to just start chucking stuff out and see if I notice, but Carrie Merrie Puffin's an engineer and knows that it's all important :)

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Sep-Mon-17-Sep

Mooselake wrote:... Carrie Merrie Puffin's an engineer and knows that it's all important :)

Is she married?
:lol:

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Mon-17-Sep

frankv wrote:
Mooselake wrote:... Carrie Merrie Puffin's an engineer and knows that it's all important :)

Is she married?
:lol:

Serious boyfriend...

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to General