Need Help with Explaining Kapton Tape to Mother

Postby GyldenGlor » 2016-Sep-Wed-21-Sep

I recently purchases a Printrbot Plus Metal. And it's great - it works great, it functions great, nothing's wrong.

However, when I printed a part with a large base, I had to use a knife to get the print off, which ended up putting a nick in the Kapton Tape. (Please note that I use blue painter's tape on the bed which is why I felt comfortable using the knife in the first place.)

After printing a much smaller piece, I took the painter's tape off as it had become damaged in the process of removing the piece. And my mother saw the nick in the Kapton Tape layer - the one that is provided by Printrbot, that is.

And she has lost her mind. She claimed that if Printrbot does not replace the Kapton tape for me within the next forty eight hours, she will send the entire unit back because the "whole thing is $1200". How do I get through to her that the Kapton tape is just tape, and is not actually OWNED by Printrbot, and that it is actually an eight dollar piece of tape which I damaged and NOT the printer? Well, fifteen dollars if you buy the 10x10 square, but that's besides the point.

The point is that my mother has become increasingly agitated over this, even though she clearly has no idea what she's talking about. So I see two options: either have the actual professionals from this site construct some sort of speech for me that will force her to understand what Kapton tape is, or lie to her and tell her that it was a "protective film" the printer shipped with and that I had forgotten to remove it.

Please help me, I'm loving the printer and I don't want to have to send it back - especially, since, you know...I PAID FOR IT.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thank you.

GyldenGlor
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Need Help with Explaining Kapton Tape to Mother

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Wed-22-Sep

(1) The kapton tape is a consumable or wear-able part of the machine. Just like you plan to replace the oil in your car at intervals, you plan to replace the kapton tape at intervals.

(2) One single nick - or even several nicks - in the kapton tape, or on the bed itself do not substantially affect the operation of the printer. In fact, some people, when trying to figure out how to print nylon, actually used perforated prototyping circuit boards, with an array of holes on 0.1" centers. So little divots in the bed like you've experienced should be considered normal, like "patina" on silverware.

(3) Maybe Ann Landers can figure out a diplomatic way for you to explain that if you bought the printer with your own money, and you like the printer, it's not her decision to return it. Now if she has objection to the smell of the hot plastic, or the time you spend on it, or the space it's taking up on her kitchen table - that's negotiable.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2016-Sep-Thu-17-Sep

Wait, so you put painters tape over the Kapton? That's certainly an interesting method.

I think the answer to your question may depend on how old you are. If you are under 18 then you just have to explain as best you can about the nature of consumables. Pull up the printrbot store page or eBay and show her that the replacement is cheap and intended to be replaced over time. Help her to understand that your $1200 investment isn't ruined in any way.

If you are a grown adult who happens to still be living at home (and paying nominal rent I assume) then you can be less diplomatic - mom needs to butt out of your business to some degree if you expect to have a healthy relationship.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Thu-18-Sep

Tell her it's like clothing and should be changed regularly.

Or you could wait until it's unusable and switch (ducks) to glue stick

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby IB3D » 2016-Sep-Sat-21-Sep

You seem to have done a good enough job explaining the Kapton tape that any reasonable person should be able to understand. If that's not effective on her, just tell her if the tape goes, so do you; certainly no mother as protective as her could allow that to happen.

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby plexus » 2016-Sep-Sun-08-Sep

Mooselake wrote:Or you could wait until it's unusable and switch (ducks) to glue stick

There you go again with ducks. I wonder if glue sticks made from moose are as good as those made from horses.

Bottom line: there is what your mother believes and there is what is factual and real: Kapton is just tape, it gets damaged and has to be replaced. Suggest to your mother she read through this forum so she can educate herself before wigging out about this. because if a nicked piece of Kapton is going to throw her over the edge... well... you ain't see nothing yet with that printer in terms of breakages and frustrations. welcome to 3D printing.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Sun-09-Sep

plexus wrote:There you go again with ducks. I wonder if glue sticks made from moose are as good as those made from horses.

Glue sticks made by moose will be a lot better than those made by either ducks or horses. As far as made from moose, hmm, maybe time to boil down some hoof trimmings and see what happens. Undoubtedly better than ones made by a character from Donald Duck cartoons.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2016-Sep-Sun-19-Sep

plexus wrote:
Mooselake wrote:Or you could wait until it's unusable and switch (ducks) to glue stick

There you go again with ducks. I wonder if glue sticks made from moose are as good as those made from horses.

Bottom line: there is what your mother believes and there is what is factual and real: Kapton is just tape, it gets damaged and has to be replaced. Suggest to your mother she read through this forum so she can educate herself before wigging out about this. because if a nicked piece of Kapton is going to throw her over the edge... well... you ain't see nothing yet with that printer in terms of breakages and frustrations. welcome to 3D printing.

The down side of moose glue sticks is they come with all that attitude......

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro