Hot end replacement?

Hot end replacement?

Postby hohoman2 » 2016-Aug-Wed-02-Aug

Hey guys and gals, I've had a problem come up with my printrbot. The problem I'm having seem to be intermittent feed through the hot end. It was working great for the last 3 month but a week ago it started to having issue. I have tried changing the heat, the filament, the speed, ect. and even cleaned the hot end. I have tried everything I could think of expect swapping the hot end, So the question I have is " Do hot ends have a service life and do you think this is the end for this one? Or do you all know of something else the might cause this interment feed issues(stripping)?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hohoman2
Waiting to connect to printer...

Hot end replacement?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hot end replacement?

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Wed-03-Aug

Is your temperature stable? I'm thinking maybe the thermistor has worked loose?

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby blort » 2016-Aug-Wed-12-Aug

have you replaced the nozzle itself? they wear and can become erratic as they do. a partial blockage of the nozzle itself could cause funky things to happen on extrusion.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Aug-Wed-13-Aug

The hobbed bolt / gear that drives the filament can wear, or get clogged with particles of plastic. And yes, both nozzles and hot ends themselves can wear or build up contamination that prevents smooth operation.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Wed-16-Aug

When the results change, especially suddenly, it's likely some kind of physical change has happened. Changing print settings *may* correct it (until it changes some more), but it's better to look for what actually changed.

Further on the temperature thing... maybe one or other of the heater wires is (nearly) broken, so that the temperature drops, the comes back to normal when it touches again. Similarly perhaps for the cooling fan(s).

The filament can wear the extruder, so the holes become elongated. The filament can then jam in these slots and cause intermittent under-extrusion.

Screws loose in the hot-end mount?

Insufficient tension on the extruder spring?

Is the extruder motor or its driver overheating? Is the extruder motor skipping?

Have you recently changed to a new reel of filament?

From your photo, the problem appears to get worse the longer the diagonal. I'm guessing that was printed left-to-right. There's also a couple of interesting spots at the bottom right where I assume the diagonal infill has gone right across the perimeter, but only where there's a thin area on the infill. I think that's likely to be quite significant, and it suggests that there's some play in the Y axis. I can't think how that would explain what you're seeing, but it may be part of the explanation.

I see that you have a Z-probe. Do you use auto-levelling? And, if so, is there significant Z movement whilst printing a layer? If so, play in the Z axis could be an explanation.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby blort » 2017-Apr-Mon-21-Apr

the ubis ceramic design certainly does have a service life. the thermistor has a wear cycle, the nichrome wire used wears out and can break, and the PEEK in the ceramic cold zone can get fouled/scored/otherwise ruined by a temperature event or an abrasive making its way into the filament path. for all of its simplicity, the ubis ceramic is a throwaway hot end. the other hot ends that you can upgrade to also have discrete wear components, but none that would make you toss the whole thing the way a PEEK cold zone damage would on a ubis ceramic.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Return to General