Nozzle Differences

Nozzle Differences

Postby Radioman1017 » 2016-May-Sun-17-May

Hello everyone,

Quick question today. I'm working on printing out an Iron Man helmet and after a couple of missteps, finally have what looks to be a decent print going. I was chatting with a fella about this on a FB forum and he was shocked at long my print was going to take, at upwards of 50 hours for just the faceplate. He's using another printer but after a couple of back and forth conversations, he revealed that on his printer, he can bang out a similar piece in under 5 hours by using a .8mm nozzle and a 3mm height. I haven't used anything other than my .4 mm nozzle. Do you guys have any experience with some of these larger nozzles that PB offers? For helmet work, what kind of settings should I be looking at if I want to go this route?

Mark

Radioman1017
Waiting for printbed temp...

Nozzle Differences

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nozzle Differences

Postby ktfergus » 2016-May-Mon-15-May

Hey Radioman,

I purchased a 0.75mm nozzle several months ago for larger prints I do from time-to-time. I also got the nozzle six pack from PB & in the near future I plan to have 3 bots running; one with a large nozzle, one with the standard 0.4mm nozzle and one with a 0.2mm nozzle for tiny prints.

It's amazing how much time you can save when your layer height is .5mm instead of .2mm. Plus you need only half as many perimeters, since the nozzle is twice as wide. That being said, there are always going to be trade offs with the bigger nozzle. The individual layers will bee much more noticeable and you might loose a little detail on the print. Most of my large prints are for prototypes so I'm not overly concerned about their appearance.

For the most part, I don't change my settings too much with the larger nozzle (print speed around 30mm/s, depending on the filament); I just raise the layer height and lower the number of perimeters (in Repitier).

For $8 you might as well grab one & experiment.

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
Latest Project: Flux Capacitor
ktfergus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to General