Buyer Beware

Buyer Beware

Postby New Passion » 2016-May-Tue-15-May

I just ordered a new 40mm fan for my Printrbot Simple Metal, ( the one for cooling the part) I still use a Ceramic Ubis Hot End. On the site I ordered the one with the two wire connection, it says for use with every Printrbot model except the Play. The wire and plug on the one I received is only about 4 inches long, making it impossible to reach my printer board, I contacted Printrbot and the answer I received was, I should have ordered the extension wire with the fan. I answered back, stating the fan in the picture on there website shows a longer wire wrapped around the fan. There reply was, The photo is simply a photo of one of the variations, I will pass on your suggestion though. I know it's not that big of a deal, I simply spliced my old wire connection onto the new fan, but I just thought everyone should know if you order a fan from Printrbot for your Simple Metal, you will also have to order the extension, or you will have to splice your old wire onto the new fan, I do not believe we should have to splice anything.

Mark

New Passion
Waiting for printbed temp...

Buyer Beware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Buyer Beware

Postby musk » 2016-May-Tue-19-May

I've torn apart alot of Simple Metals and they all have filament fans with 4" cables. The junction between extension and fan is usually inside black heat shrink tubing at the 4" mark, all you need to do is cut off the tubing and plug the new fan into the connector there. No splicing required.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Re: Buyer Beware

Postby New Passion » 2016-May-Wed-15-May

Musk, you must have a different Simple Metal than Mine, my fan wire is not wrapped in black heat shrink tube, and there is no connector at the 4 inch mark. When I built the printer, my fan wire, along with my hot end and probe wires are wrapped in flex wrap to help manage the mass of wires coming off of the front of the printer, and to help relieve any stress on the wires, the wires are then fed into a hole in the top of the back of the printer, where they are fed back up to the printer board. I just measured my original fan wire, it is 30 inches long from fan to plug. As I said earlier, the fan I ordered is not what came with my original Printrbot.

New Passion
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to General