Ubis 13 HF in the Mooselab

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Mon-16-May

The HF is in the Mooselab! Video will have to wait until I figure out an editor (you don't need to watch the extruder heating up...) but here's some first impressions in no special order.

It's big. Nearly a cm taller than the other Ubii. I had to take the micrometer Z adjustment apart and use a bigger length of allthread since it wouldn't home without crashing into the PEI.

The nozzles are different from the other Ubii - no acorn nuts possible - and considerably longer threaded section than the nozzles for the original. It came with a 0.4mm installed, and another 4 sizes (up to 1.5mm) in the box. This won't be printing tree frogs that you need a magnifying glass to see, with a 0.2mm nozzle, but that's not it's purpose. Can't wait to try the monster nozzle.

It tops out just under 30 cubic mm/sec according to my test generator, about 3x the 2014 first all metal ubis and about 1.5x the TBD's E3D V6. I'm using 25 for slic3r's autospeed following the 80% rule. There's an occasional missed step click at 30, and lots at 32. Hope to put up some video. The AMU test was a little better than last years, likely this spool of HH3DP baby blue melts a bit easier than mystery Amazon gray, but only one 2 cu mm step.

Prints great at 120mm/sec, although the perimeters and top/bottom were set to 40. No attempt at speeding that up, yet, it's just my default settings with the volume cranked up from 8 to 25.

Plan to do some more testing after this, the laptop's W10 update should be done. Pictures below, the Gimp and photo gods willing.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ubis 13 HF in the Mooselab

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Mon-16-May

The lighting isn't the best, but the space for the photobooth got eaten up. These are sized to 640px horizontal to save Plexus some disk space, and to conform to Google's internet bandwidth conservation project (an outgrowth of the mid 1990's Bandwidth Conservation Society; big wheel keep a turning)

For reference, this is the 2014 Black Friday All Metal Ubis with the beta V0.02 Gear Head Extruder, which never slips or chews filament (except for the wrapped undersized ninjaflex episode...) Note the custom corrugated cardboard insulator, that's cardboard/heater/DS glass/PEI
AMU.jpg

Ubis 13 HF in factory packaging (it was bubble wrapped inside a box, well packaged)
HFinPackage.jpg

Here's the HF out of the package with all the nozzles. 0.4mm installed, 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.25mm, 1.5mm . These are the hand engraved prototypes, the production version will likely be different
HFandNozzles.jpg

This is with the sock (not black, alas) pulled up. That's 12V 33W. This is the any Printrbot version, a higher wattage version is rumored for larger power supplies. That should be interesting...
HFsecretsBared.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Mon-17-May

Only a couple more today. For all you alien supporters here's how non-probers set their Z. Modeled after Plexus's version.
Zadjuster.jpg

The 13 HF on the 2011 KickStarter Classic Plus. Compare the length with the AMU. There wasn't a fan included or mentioned, but I believe the 13S suggested (but didn't include) a fan. Had one so I put it on, still annoyingly high pitched
HFonPrintrbot.jpg

First test print. The blue coaster is from the HF, the smaller gray one from the AMU. I just grabbed it out of the endtable, but it's probably mystery silver PLA, the blue is from HH3DP 0.3mm layers, 190C, 40mm/s perimeters 120mm/s infill 25 mm^3/s autospeed. I doubt it strained the HF's capacity so I'll crank up the speed and print a few more
HFbigcoaster.jpg

I hope to get the video of the volume tests up in a couple days, just in case you want to see some fast plastic squirting

Kirk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby IB3D » 2017-Jun-Sat-07-Jun

I have always printed using the original style ceramic hot end that came on the Simple Metal, hence my experience in that regard is limited. Just watched the 06/15/17 printrbot podcast (or whatever it is) with Brook demonstrating the 13HF on a Simple Metal using only the original single chassis mounted unshrouded fan. This leads me to question what type of additional cooling is truly required for either the 13S or 13HF over the ceramic when printing @ PLA or PETG temps.?

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jun-Sat-07-Jun

I suspect the whiny fan isn't needed, but there wasn't any comments about it and I already had the fan installed on the AMU. It'll probably go the next time the hotend's off the machine.

I like this plastic melter and plan to try abs and larger tips soon

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to General