Printrbot ubis 13-HF giveaway!

Postby blort » 2017-May-Fri-15-May

Brook is giving away 10 of the new ubis 13 HFs to volunteers who can plead the best case for why they should get one. I've put my request in, but I think that moose,Jay, and some of the other regulars from here really should get on it as well. if one of us loyal users gets hands on and can effectively compare it to the other experiences we have had, I think it will serve the community well. Brook talks about how to make the request in this week's youtube show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaLfNNIZ3GU

my plan is to use it if I get it in my frankenplus that I have assembled in place of the older ubis 13 ceramic that I had on hand. if one of us has an e3d volcano that they could compare the hf to, that would be an awesome comparison of high flow contenders.

Things I do like about the ubis form factor are:
Sleek - the slim yet longer shape of the 13 should allow for closer spacing of a dual extruder setup if so inclined.
groove/clamp mount - the ubis clamp and groove system really does lock in the hot end without fail. I haven't had as much love for the e3d in the same regard. I've been able to secure my e3d with adapter plates and spacers, but servicing it is certainly more involved than the one screw removal of the native ubis with an alu extruder or gear extruder.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot ubis 13-HF giveaway!

Postby PxT » 2017-May-Fri-19-May

Direct link to the giveaway: http://printrbot.com/ubis-13hf-giveaway/

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sat-13-May

I applied to try it, mentioning my less than sterling experience with the (non-giveaway) all metal ubis from 2014. The HF is intended to correct the limited melt problem the AMU has. If the giveaway fails I'll try asking if I can buy the new melter, but since they wouldn't sell me a second heater core a year ago I'd be surprised if they'd sell me the souped up one now.

In the video Brook is trying to print with a 1.0mm nozzle. A long time ago I was printing with a homemade 1.2mm (or around there) nozzle just for grins, back in the roll your own nozzle days. I even, accidentally, made a 3.0mm version by accidentally cutting the top off an acorn nut while facing it on the Unimat and for grins printed with it. Not all that great (to be honest I don't remember the details) but it would print.

Not likely that 5 years here carries any value with PB these days (if it ever did, what with all the problems Brook had with forums and misinformation); we'll see what, if anything, happens

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Tue-18-May

After some discussion about melt volume testing with the AMU Brook offered me one in the YouTube comments. I sent him shipping info (and mentioned the online application, no need for possible double dipping), we'll see what transpires and if one makes it's way into the Mooselab.

I (re)discovered that Plexus and I had some discussions about total melt volume with the original 3.0 Ubis and Wades extruder back around 2013, although that involved pretty large nozzles and thick traces. Guess old moose keep coming back to their old haunts.

Kirk-

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby blort » 2017-May-Tue-22-May

Awesome. Mission accomplished. I look forward to your findings.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Fri-10-May

Received the email today:

"Congratulations! You have been selected as one of our testers for the new Ubis 13HF Hot End."

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Thu-18-May

Something's on it's way from Lincoln CA to the Mooselab...

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sat-17-May

The HF has landed! I repeated the volumetric test code with the AMU, fixed a couple minor bugs, and videoed a test with it skipping. Removed the AMU and installed the 13HF, hit home. Whoops, it's considerably longer. Replaced the Moose Mitutoyo Micrometric Z stop adjuster's brass althread with a piece a cm longer (hope that isn't too long if the AMU goes back) and got it to home (no alien probers here; we use brass, steel, and dial gauges).

It heats up about as fast as the AMU, no problems there. Ran it up to 22 mm^3/sec with no issues, will keep cranking that up until it skips and then back off. This is with the installed 0.4mm nozzle, they also include 4 others up to 1.5mm (a nice surprise). Guess it won't beat Plexus's tiny tree frog contest winner of years back but should do fine otherwise.

I'll try to run it through it's paces tonight and tomorrow, see how well the W10 Insider's video editor works, and start an evaluation thread then.

Maybe I'll even print the second problematic monster wattage speaker sound deflection cone that started all the trouble. The MIT daughter's BF says it has to be in ABS to withstand all the heat from his thousand watt speaker. I hope Mrs. Moose is still in the hearing aid business when he starts saying the TV isn't loud enough and we mumble all the time.

Kirk

Edit: Quick test with 5 mm^3/sec steps. It start skipping a bit at 35, seriously at 40 (that's cubic mm/sec). Call it almost twice what the E3D V6 did. That's HH3DP baby blue PLA at 190C.

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby blort » 2017-May-Mon-15-May

moose: I linked to this from the pb facebook group since you are first to press with actual testing info AFAIK.

I am still putting the finishing assembly onto my PB plus. I ordered a refurb printrboard so I could test in the most vanilla environment possible compared to the smoothieboard I will end up using long term.

are you using a fan on yours or au natural like it shipped? I'd like to try and keep parity with your testing as much as I can to ensure that we are testing for consistency of product as well as the rest of the stuff.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Mon-15-May

Does that mean that you have an HF also?

I used the fan from the AMU, although with all the PEEK I doubt that any fan is necessary. Good question to ask Brook; the fan whine is annoying. I videoed the volume test with the AMU, then again with the HF. then accidentally deleted the HF video while cleaning up several false starts. No biggie, easy to recreate. You can hear when the extruder starts missing steps, but it's pretty subtle over the fan noise. Much louder in person.

Now I need to dig up an easy to use video editor. I was hoping to try out W10's Story Remix, but it's being selectively rolled out to Insiders and I lost the coin toss. Never really needed one before, avoided this whole flickery moving images thing. Of course our Googlian overlords recommend hundreds, if not thousands of "best" editors <sigh>.

Did a 130% X and Y scaled TV Celtic coaster, my current favorite test print. According to the Repetier-Host speed analysis it was hitting 120mm/sec (real life undoubtedly differs) on infill, and when printed it was really ripping along. Good looking print, without any attempt at tuning it turned out better than I expected. Plus now I have a place to put the imported English Chicken Cup when it's full of coffee, it's too big (mine must be 3/4 pint, 9cm D x 10cm H) for the stock coaster. Did find what looks like a bug with Prusa Slic3r and volumetric autospeed, wanted 12+ hours to print. 1.2.9 took under an hour; I didn't time it since I was a couple rooms over watching (non self edited) Hulu flickies instead of the HF going round and round in circles but it was less than one episode of Preacher plus a kitchen visit.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to General