Z Lead screw 4 start Upgrade

Postby New Passion » 2017-Jan-Thu-18-Jan

I was just on Printrbots website, and I noticed they have a new Z lead screw update, https://printrbot.com/shop/z-lead-screw ... t-upgrade/ . I have a Printrbot simple metal, If I order this and put it on my printer, will I have to change something in the firmware, like Z steps/mm , or is this just a simple upgrade, swap out the old for the new.

They also have the new G2 Printrboard https://printrbot.com/shop/printrboard- ... evelopers/

Mark

New Passion
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Z Lead screw 4 start Upgrade

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Thu-19-Jan

You'll definitely need to change the Z steps/mm. I upgraded the Z screws on my plus to 4 start TR8-8 (what PB used) some time back. In addition to the steps/mm you might want to do some testing and increase the maximum Z speed (mine went from 3.5 to 20+ mm/sec) and tweak the acceleration and jerk. I believe I posted about my upgrade, search is your friend.

Definitely worth it. You can buy the parts for $30 or less (that's two 300mm screws) from the usual far-eastern suspects if you don't want to pay the PB tax. Mine came from AliExpress. I also changed out the couplers for what we call Lovejoy couplers here, but they call them Plum couplers there. No springy thingies needed.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby New Passion » 2017-Jan-Fri-18-Jan

Thanks Kirk,

EDIT: I just found everything I need from Reddit.

New Passion

Postby IB3D » 2017-Jan-Sat-08-Jan

Perhaps you could post a Reddit link as I searched the other evening for the thread mentioned by kirk without success.

IB3D

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Sat-09-Jan

I'll see if I can look it up when I fire up a real computer.

Not a lot of setup; calculate the steps/mm, then test with increasing speeds and acceleration. Your bot is unique, more so after modding. Ignore other people's speed/acel/jerk settings except maybe as starting points that might, maybe, possibly be somewhere around yours. Test before and after; not every mod is an improvement and hard numbers are more reliable than opinions and hopes

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Sat-10-Jan

Brief discussion of my settings here, and a discussion of somebody else's install here. While the steps/mm depend on commercially machined parts that are more accurate than most of us can measure, and your values should be the same as mine assuming 200 step/rev motors and 16x microsteppings. Speed and acceleration depend on differences in printer design (your simple is lots different than my tweaked plywood plus), the quality and amount of wear on your bearings, and on the stepper motors installed, their current settings, etc. Yours will be different than mine.

The steps/mm setting is (200 steps/rev * 16 microsteps/step) / (8mm/rev) or 3200/8. A big change from the original allthread's 2000+ (2260 irrc, notebook not handy)

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby YellowGTO » 2017-Feb-Sun-00-Feb

Wow, what an awesome mod. Ordered. Are the antibacklash nuts worth it? and do I just cut it with an angle grinder? 300mm is too tall for me.

YellowGTO
Printing skirt...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Feb-Sun-09-Feb

I'd be interested if somebody could compare the quarter inch acme and TR8-8 screws. They should be pretty close. The only real advantage is the larger pitch (travel per turn), which is a mixed blessing, assuming PB used reasonable quality acme screws. If you aren't going to increase the max z speed then the power off drifting might offset any improvement.

I have a gcode generator to test z speed, if anybody wants either the program or some pre-genned gcode

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to General