iamjonlawrnce Printable 1405 Z box and Motor mount (in PLA o

If you need a printed part, post here and hopefully someone will oblige. Be sure to post your location (city, state/province, country)

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sun-03-Nov

Hello,

Well after finally getting Jon's parts printed, I find that they are slightly misaligned. The print came out skewed and thus makes every other print I do skewed as well. It was hard to notice at first, but not its extremely apparent.

Basically I need the motor mount file and the Z box file from this Thingiverse link.

I would like both to have really thick walls and 35-50% infill I possible. PLA or ABS, doesn't matter. If you have the printer and spare time, let me know your (hopefully fair) price. It works fine right now for small objects, but soon it will cause more problems.

Thanks!

Note: color doesn't matter, layer height doesn't matter, just good adhesion and accurate size are all I really need at the moment. You can use leftover filament and keep changing the colors, like I said it doesn't matter all that much. Let me know!

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: iamjonlawrnce Printable 1405 Z box and Motor mount (in P

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Tue-19-Nov

Anyone?

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2014-Nov-Tue-23-Nov

I'm in the same boat you are.

You might be asking a lot since they take so long to print. I had printed 75% infill and they came out nice just can't use them. Oh well....

Good luck, hope someone steps up for you.

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby mechanizedmedic » 2014-Nov-Wed-00-Nov

Just throwing it out there... You might be able shim the X axis block or bearings to account for it so long as Y & Z are squared to each other.

"Metal shavings are my glitter"
blog.mechanizedmedic.org
mechanizedmedic
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Wed-15-Nov

KD6HQ wrote:I'm in the same boat you are.

You might be asking a lot since they take so long to print. I had printed 75% infill and they came out nice just can't use them. Oh well....

Good luck, hope someone steps up for you.

That's shat I figured. Why can't you use them? What happened?
mechanizedmedic wrote:Just throwing it out there... You might be able shim the X axis block or bearings to account for it so long as Y & Z are squared to each other.

I may try this, I'm heading to the hardware store for some new glass anyway, might as well pick up some shims.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Jon Lawrence » 2014-Nov-Wed-15-Nov

I would also suggest shimming. Actually, that is THE reason they are printed in two pieces. I have a skew in my machine as well (plague of the simple design). This is what lead to splitting the Z rods from the X allowing a place for adjustment to dial them in.

Best of luck!

Printrbot Simple V2 born 10/2013 and constantly upgrading.
http://www.thingiverse.com/iamjonlawrence
Jon Lawrence
Calibration mode.

Postby mechanizedmedic » 2014-Nov-Wed-16-Nov

orangefurball wrote:
KD6HQ wrote:I may try this, I'm heading to the hardware store for some new glass anyway, might as well pick up some shims.

I highly recommend using aluminum foil as a shim. I fold it up to the thickness needed and it holds it's shape nicely. Once it's dialed in you can trim the loose ends with a razor knife.

"Metal shavings are my glitter"
blog.mechanizedmedic.org
mechanizedmedic
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Wed-17-Nov

Jon Lawrence wrote:I would also suggest shimming. Actually, that is THE reason they are printed in two pieces. I have a skew in my machine as well (plague of the simple design). This is what lead to splitting the Z rods from the X allowing a place for adjustment to dial them in.

Best of luck!

Makes perfect sense now! I assumed t was just so it would fit on the printer, but the added benefit of shimming makes perfect sense.
mechanizedmedic wrote:
orangefurball wrote:
KD6HQ wrote:I may try this, I'm heading to the hardware store for some new glass anyway, might as well pick up some shims.

I highly recommend using aluminum foil as a shim. I fold it up to the thickness needed and it holds it's shape nicely. Once it's dialed in you can trim the loose ends with a razor knife.

Read this while in line at the hardware store, thank you! Saved me a couple bucks!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2014-Nov-Sat-16-Nov

Well my hot end died this past week so while I was waiting for a new one I decided to take my printer apart and retry the "Printable Base".

Shimming.
The shimming I needed to do was on the bottom of the base not between the two pieces. The skewing that I saw was in the X direction with a distance of 2mm at 100mm in height. This meant that the rods were not at a 90° angle. So I shimmed the right side bottom of 1405Zbox using painter's tape. After each layer of tape I check the vertical alignment using a square between the rod mounting brackets.

I now attached Motor Bearing Plate (MBP). I had previously mounted the components on the MBP. With the shimming previously installed this meant that the bed was no longer parallel to the hot end. So measured the height of each of the X rods and found them to be different heights. I shimmed the lower bearings using aluminum foil to bring the bearings up to the same height creating a level bed.

Today I installed the new all metal hot end, I made the switch from the UBIS.
See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8306

I have now rechecked the 100mm height and it is well under 0.2mm off vertical now. The interesting part it is now in a -X direction. Guess I did just a might bit too much correction. But I'm going to leave it the way it is, not pressing my luck.

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Wed-01-Nov

KD6HQ wrote:Well my hot end died this past week so while I was waiting for a new one I decided to take my printer apart and retry the "Printable Base".

Shimming.
The shimming I needed to do was on the bottom of the base not between the two pieces. The skewing that I saw was in the X direction with a distance of 2mm at 100mm in height. This meant that the rods were not at a 90° angle. So I shimmed the right side bottom of 1405Zbox using painter's tape. After each layer of tape I check the vertical alignment using a square between the rod mounting brackets.

I now attached Motor Bearing Plate (MBP). I had previously mounted the components on the MBP. With the shimming previously installed this meant that the bed was no longer parallel to the hot end. So measured the height of each of the X rods and found them to be different heights. I shimmed the lower bearings using aluminum foil to bring the bearings up to the same height creating a level bed.

Today I installed the new all metal hot end, I made the switch from the UBIS.
See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8306

I have now rechecked the 100mm height and it is well under 0.2mm off vertical now. The interesting part it is now in a -X direction. Guess I did just a might bit too much correction. But I'm going to leave it the way it is, not pressing my luck.

Can you go into more detail on how you measured? I sort of eyeballed it for mine. I did have to do a ton of shimming though, the piece of aluminum foil I ended up with is a few mm thick. But I kept printing rectangles and comparing it to some square objects, its near perfect to my eye but if I can get it more exact I would love it.

Here's my current shimming. Im not going to trim it because it makes it easier to pull out and add more layers.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2014-Nov-Wed-12-Nov

Sure.

Note: if anyone is making this type of change, do it before you install the X motor into the bearing plate.

I've printed the "Printable Base" twice now. The first one was in black and the second is in gray. I am currently using the gray base. The gray base has all the final shimming; the black is used for demonstration only.

The first picture (First Check) shows a part printed to 100mm in height. This picture was taken when I originally discovered that I had a problem.

Shimming:
The picture "Before Shim" shows the amount of skew compared to a right angle.

Picture (Apply Shim) shows shimming with plastic painters tape.
I first applied 4 layers of tape then checked the amount of change (During shim).
I applied several layers of tape until I had a good match with the right angle.

I don't have a spare bearing plate so use your imagination and pretend this is a bearing plate.

I next measured the height of the X-axis rods (Measuring Sample). I wrote the height down and then measured the other side of the bearing plate. I measured both rods just incase the Y-axis direction was different. Then I remove the lower two bearings. I cut strips of aluminum foil just a little narrower then the bearings. I cut the strips in a length that I could fold and have two layers of foil per shim. I applied a couple layers of shims and then reinstalled the bearings and rods and re-measured. When I re-installed the bearings I re-applied all tie wraps, so have a good supply on hand just incase you have to do this more than once.

After I was satisfied that the heights were close enough, I placed short rods that I had in the bearings and taped them in so that they would not move. I did this so that the bearings would not fall out when installing the X-axis motor and other parts. Trust me the bearings can fall out.

On my current "Printable Base" (gray), I did not think that shimming between the Z-Box and Bearing Plate was needed.

Printer re-assembled, and a check print in blue.

First Check.jpg

Before Shimm.jpg

Apply Shim.jpg

During shim.jpg

Measuring Sample.jpg

Gray 01.jpg

Gray 02.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Wed-22-Nov

Thanks KD6HQ,

Seems like my shimming is near perfect now, these parts really show just how bad it was before.

The top row of parts were printed pre-shimming, the bottom row are the new parts. The flat edges were placed by each other to show how dramatic the effect was!

KD6HQ wrote:Sure.

Note: if anyone is making this type of change, do it before you install the X motor into the bearing plate.

I've printed the "Printable Base" twice now. The first one was in black and the second is in gray. I am currently using the gray base. The gray base has all the final shimming; the black is used for demonstration only.

The first picture (First Check) shows a part printed to 100mm in height. This picture was taken when I originally discovered that I had a problem.

Shimming:
The picture "Before Shim" shows the amount of skew compared to a right angle.

Picture (Apply Shim) shows shimming with plastic painters tape.
I first applied 4 layers of tape then checked the amount of change (During shim).
I applied several layers of tape until I had a good match with the right angle.

I don't have a spare bearing plate so use your imagination and pretend this is a bearing plate.

I next measured the height of the X-axis rods (Measuring Sample). I wrote the height down and then measured the other side of the bearing plate. I measured both rods just incase the Y-axis direction was different. Then I remove the lower two bearings. I cut strips of aluminum foil just a little narrower then the bearings. I cut the strips in a length that I could fold and have two layers of foil per shim. I applied a couple layers of shims and then reinstalled the bearings and rods and re-measured. When I re-installed the bearings I re-applied all tie wraps, so have a good supply on hand just incase you have to do this more than once.

After I was satisfied that the heights were close enough, I placed short rods that I had in the bearings and taped them in so that they would not move. I did this so that the bearings would not fall out when installing the X-axis motor and other parts. Trust me the bearings can fall out.

On my current "Printable Base" (gray), I did not think that shimming between the Z-Box and Bearing Plate was needed.

Printer re-assembled, and a check print in blue.

First Check.jpg

Before Shimm.jpg

Apply Shim.jpg

During shim.jpg

Measuring Sample.jpg

Gray 01.jpg

Gray 02.jpg

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Return to Need a part