Printrbot Y Axis Upgrade - ExtendYPlateRevC

If you need a printed part, post here and hopefully someone will oblige. Be sure to post your location (city, state/province, country)

Postby Corey Warren » 2014-May-Wed-18-May

I'm having issues printing this piece. The corners and edges are lifting from the print surface causing this piece to not have nice right angles. Its sort of crucial that this piece print as accurately as possible. I mounted the one I printed and it does work, but, my extruder unit sits at an angle as a result of my not so perfect print.

I'm also concerned about how long my PLA pieces will last as far as degradation is concerned. I feel I should have a few extra pieces on hand if/when things break or degrade past useability.

Would someone be willing to print this piece for me in ABS? I'm not concerned with the color and I'd be happy to pay you for your time, efforts and shipping.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot Y Axis Upgrade - ExtendYPlateRevC

Postby spitfirehauser » 2014-May-Thu-10-May

if you can wait a week or so i can help you. I am working on 2 different hands for people as part of the e-NABLE group http://enablingthefuture.org . we print new hands for people that do not have them or access to a printer. so instead of spending 20,000-60,000 on a prosteic kids can have a cool hand that can grow with them for $10 in plastic and some time.

here is a hand i printed several weeks ago to test out sizing for the first person i helped
IMG_0652[1].JPG
]
IMG_0655[1].JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Hauser
Modified Simple 2014 kit
spitfirehauser
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Corey Warren » 2014-May-Thu-12-May

Wow, that is really cool! Take you're time, I'm in no rush.

I'd love to post my email address, but, Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs.

Corey Warren

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-May-Thu-12-May

Corey Warren wrote:I'd love to post my email address

Just as a general precaution, it's not advisable to post e-mail addresses, physical addresses, or phone numbers on the forum. ANYONE can read the postings on this forum, whether signed in or not. However, you should be able to "Private Message" to other forum users with that kind of information.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby spitfirehauser » 2014-May-Thu-13-May

I just emailed you my info. just as FYI the only time i have ever had a problem with PLA lifting on me is when i had air flow blowing over my print bed. i was having extuder over heating issues so i just put a floor fan next to my printer..... that stopped the extruder from overheating but made my print cruel up. I will let you know how my hand prints go this weekend and give you an ETA on getting this done for you
thanks

Steve Hauser
Modified Simple 2014 kit
spitfirehauser

Postby Corey Warren » 2014-May-Thu-18-May

Wow. I really appreciate that reply because that is exactly what I am doing. I have a small desk fan blowing on my extruder and Y-Axis motors. I do have the fan pointed up, but, it still may be effecting the print job down below. Hmmm. I'll have to figure out a way to mount a small fan blowing only on the motor.

Thanks again.

Corey Warren

Postby Corey Warren » 2014-May-Mon-11-May

I think I'll be OK. I've been trying for days to get this part printed as I'm having issues with this PLA. It finally completed the entire job for me this weekend. I added a couple of small fans to the extruder motor and removed my desk fan. I still have a little bit of shrinkage at the corners. You can see in this picture the tape at the font of the printed piece is separating from the print bed.

But, like I said, I think I'll be ok. I'm printing in my garage and there is some draft coming in. I may try to move my printer inside and see if that makes any difference. And, I'm playing now with a raft to see how that may help me.

Spitfire, did you print that mechanical hand with a Printrbot? Are you using PLA? I attempted a couple of prints of the right hand palm and my printer messed up and I had to cancel my job. After my first failed attempt I noticed I'm going to have to use support material. Do you have any advice for me to get a nice print like you did?

Corey Warren

Postby spitfirehauser » 2014-May-Tue-08-May

Yes that hand was printed on my Simple. i could never get it to print well with slicer so i moved over to slicing everything in Cura, then printing with Repetier host. the Palm i print as normal and the gauntlet i had to print standing up and both with minimal support. yell if i can help any. thanks

Steve Hauser
Modified Simple 2014 kit
spitfirehauser

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-May-Fri-13-May

Cory - use a combination of skirt and brim. It will help to anchor your piece. The reason its curling is because the bottom is cooling too fast. I had some painters tape a while back that wasn't super sticky so it kept lifting the tape like you pictured.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Return to Need a part