Where do you buy your filiment from?

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby ZettabyteGamer » 2015-Jan-Tue-01-Jan

Hey guys, I just bought a Printrbot Simple Metal! Unfortunately it has a 2 - 3 week lead time :c, but back to my question. Where do you guys buy your filament from? I posted this on reddit a while ago and was referred to a few diffrent places like printedsolid, hatchbox, makergeeks, etc. So now I want to ask you guys! Is the official printrbot filament good? Is the very expensive cost of colorfab filament really worth it? Is there even a difference in quality from printrbot to colorfab, bla bla bla bla. So to make it simple, where do you guys buy your filimeant from, how much do you like it, and would you buy a diffrent brand next time?

ZettabyteGamer
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Where do you buy your filiment from?

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Tue-03-Jan

There are tons of threads discussing plastic here, but I would recommend eBay filament or Hatchbox.

I've never used Colorfabb but their XT is nice from videos I have seen! Pretty expensive though, I tend to pay $15-$25 per 1KG roll of PLA

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2015-Jan-Tue-04-Jan

Since you have a little time you may want to look at a web site called FoxSmart.
I'm on my second roll of there PLA and so far it working out fine. I use a hotend with a .4 nozzle and I usually use a .2 layer height.

The web site is http://www.foxsmart.club/filament-1-75-pla.html
I don't know where you are located but if you are in the US there is a $4.00 flat rate shipping and it takes about a week.

Good luck.

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Tue-12-Jan

Foxsmart has added new colors. I ordered silver, gold and gray yesterday.

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Bellus » 2015-Jan-Tue-19-Jan

Hatchbox is definitely a good one for the price, burned through a whole roll of PLA a significant amount of two ABS rolls. No complaints here, especially since the price has somewhat stabilized on Amazon prime. I have used there blue and yellow ABS, clear, silver and glow in the dark PLA all without complaints.

I can't justify the expensive stuff at the moment while I learn.

Bellus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-12-Jan

Bellus wrote:I can't justify the expensive stuff at the moment while I learn.

My opinion is that you can't justify the cheap stuff while you learn. Consider the difference between the high cost of the printer, and the comparatively low cost of filament. The cheap stuff is spotty (that's why it's cheap), often poor quality control of diameter and the mix of ingredients used (PLA and ABS cover a range of materials, not a specific chemical composition). There's a lot of stuff to learn when you first start, so why throw in extra frustration from cheap filament - stick with one or two colors of the good stuff and learn how to print first. You're not running a production shop where the cost of materials is a big factor when you're getting started, after all.

I've got some of that Amazon mystery filament - it breaks easily, came with breaks on the spool, the diameter varies, and it's a pain to sit there and watch it (or come back and find a trashed 2 hour print). You might luck out and get a good roll (variable quality means sometimes it works out, like roulette means sometime you hit), but is it really worth it to save $10 or $20 while you're figuring out a several hundred dollar (or more) high tech inconsistent gadget?

Too many 3D printers end up in the back of the closet or otherwise ignored as it is. Why increase the odds?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby dsegel » 2015-Jan-Wed-12-Jan

I've gone through a lot, but am now sticking with Hatchbox and Esun from Amazon. I am currently burning through a roll of Foxsmart Orange PLA that prints fine, but I don't like the color.

dsegel

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Wed-16-Jan

Mooselake wrote:
Bellus wrote:*Snip*
Too many 3D printers end up in the back of the closet or otherwise ignored as it is. Why increase the odds?

Kirk

Where are these people? I'll gladly take them! :D :D

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-19-Jan

One must have ended up in a pawn shop from a recent post.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby KD6HQ » 2015-Jan-Thu-00-Jan

FWIW:

This is a relatively new industry and as I think about it one of the problems of purchasing filament is that there is not a "standard" to go by, that I know of. Another problem is that in most cases if you ask the vendor you are using what the make up of the compound is or who maker of the filament is, they do not know. So when we go to purchase said filament we really have no way of telling what we are getting or how well it will work in our machines. Also the vendor could change suppliers so the quality could change and we would not know it until it is purchased and tried.

I wonder if it would be a worthwhile project to come up with "our own" list of questions to ask a vendor? So that when we report on a filament we would have some sort of guideline to go by. I know that I am stating this as a simple joint project but it is not. For instance I do not even know what composition makes the best PLA for 3d printers. For reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

This sounds like a lot of work so perhaps just keeping it simple with a use / no use endorsement would be better.

What do you think?

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-00-Jan

KD6HQ wrote:FWIW:

This is a relatively new industry and as I think about it one of the problems of purchasing filament is that there is not a "standard" to go by, that I know of. Another problem is that in most cases if you ask the vendor you are using what the make up of the compound is or who maker of the filament is, they do not know. So when we go to purchase said filament we really have no way of telling what we are getting or how well it will work in our machines. Also the vendor could change suppliers so the quality could change and we would not know it until it is purchased and tried.

I wonder if it would be a worthwhile project to come up with "our own" list of questions to ask a vendor? So that when we report on a filament we would have some sort of guideline to go by. I know that I am stating this as a simple joint project but it is not. For instance I do not even know what composition makes the best PLA for 3d printers. For reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

This sounds like a lot of work so perhaps just keeping it simple with a use / no use endorsement would be better.

What do you think?

I like this idea, keeping all of the information organized somehow (the wiki?) would be great too.

What kind of questions were you thinking of?

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2015-Jan-Thu-04-Jan

Good question. Since I don't have a chemical background, I do not know what to ask in that direction. But as a consumer I think I want to start with the following information:

Sources Information:
Purchasing vendor name
Vendor contact information
Who made the filament
What quality level is it
Type of filament (PLA, ABS etc.)
Color of filament
Diameter of filament
Specification of filament (+/- .05)
Amount per roll purchased .5kg, 1kg etc.
Amount paid
Shipping paid
Delivery time (days)

Printer settings
Temperature for first layer
Tempter for rest of layers
Nozzle size
Layer size
Finish of filaments (something along these lines)
    Commercial - you could sell it or give the finished part as a gift.
    Machine - you can use the part to make another printer
    Household - looks good enough to display
    Hobby - you could use it as part of a hobby project
    One off - since I only need one it's good enough for that.
    Not again - will not buy again

This is just a start, I'm sure there are more.

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Littlebuck416 » 2015-Mar-Mon-15-Mar

Hey everyone!

Where do you all buy translucent pla filament? I've seen a few places like WYZworks, but I don't know how their quality is.

In addition, I'm looking for filament that is below $35.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Littlebuck416
Levelling print bed...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Mon-15-Mar

Littlebuck416 wrote:Hey everyone!

Where do you all buy translucent pla filament? I've seen a few places like WYZworks, but I don't know how their quality is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I use WYZ filament and I have no issues with it!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Littlebuck416 » 2015-Mar-Mon-16-Mar

orangefurball wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Some of their filaments are only available in 3.00mm. Is this permanent or are they just waiting for more stock?

Littlebuck416
Levelling print bed...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Mon-16-Mar

Littlebuck416 wrote:
orangefurball wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Some of their filaments are only available in 3.00mm. Is this permanent or are they just waiting for more stock?

I would imagine they are just waiting for more stock (or at least I hope!)

I only use 1.75 in my Bowden setups. Usually when I see they have stock I buy a few kilos.

I would send them a message asking when more stock is due

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Littlebuck416 » 2015-Mar-Mon-16-Mar

Great thank you!

Also, do you change any of your settings when using translucent pla compared to normal pla?

Littlebuck416
Levelling print bed...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Mon-17-Mar

Littlebuck416 wrote:Great thank you!

Also, do you change any of your settings when using translucent pla compared to normal pla?

Not really, just adjust the temperature as I normally do when changing filament q

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Corey Warren » 2015-Mar-Tue-17-Mar

What do you think?

This is a very interesting topic to me. I've been considering setting up a website devoted to filament differences and tolerances. Basically, I'd pick up a roll or two of different types and different vendors, do a bunch of prints and tests then post my results and findings.

Corey Warren

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Mar-Tue-18-Mar

Corey Warren wrote:

What do you think?

This is a very interesting topic to me. I've been considering setting up a website devoted to filament differences and tolerances. Basically, I'd pick up a roll or two of different types and different vendors, do a bunch of prints and tests then post my results and findings.

I have been thinking the same thing and would help you out if you'd like. I think it could be a useful resource for people (especially newbies)

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby KD6HQ » 2015-Mar-Tue-20-Mar

KD6HQ wrote:Good question. Since I don't have a chemical background, I do not know what to ask in that direction. But as a consumer I think I want to start with the following information:

Sources Information:
Purchasing vendor name
Vendor contact information
Who made the filament
What quality level is it
Type of filament (PLA, ABS etc.)
Color of filament
Diameter of filament
Specification of filament (+/- .05)
Amount per roll purchased .5kg, 1kg etc.
Amount paid
Shipping paid
Delivery time (days)

Printer settings
Temperature for first layer
Tempter for rest of layers
Nozzle size
Layer size
Finish of filaments (something along these lines)
    Commercial - you could sell it or give the finished part as a gift.
    Machine - you can use the part to make another printer
    Household - looks good enough to display
    Hobby - you could use it as part of a hobby project
    One off - since I only need one it's good enough for that.
    Not again - will not buy again

This is just a start, I'm sure there are more.

This looks like a good start to me. So now the problem comes up as to what is the best way to store this information? I would think a database but then I'm not a programmer.

Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Mar-Wed-09-Mar

KD6HQ wrote:This looks like a good start to me. So now the problem comes up as to what is the best way to store this information? I would think a database but then I'm not a programmer.

Google spreadsheet?

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2015-Mar-Wed-12-Mar

I made an attempt to start a Wiki page for this type of info a long time ago:
http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... ment_Guide

Never really got very far, but maybe it could be expanded by someone with time to kill.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby DGMurdockIII » 2016-Jun-Thu-12-Jun

I use Atomic Filament and their quality is second to none. The prints are smooth. Also the guy who owns Atomic Filament goes by the name Crunch. He hangs out in the freenode IRC server on these two irc channels: #reprap and #atomicfilament. And don't forget to check out their website for more info or if you like to buy some http://atomicfilament.com/

DGMurdockIII

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Jun-Thu-14-Jun

Atomic has a better color selection than HH3DP, but is about $10/kg more. Both are "free" shipping. I've tried a couple rolls of HH3DP's PLA and been happy with it. It's made in who's ear land, which @DGMurdockIII's IP address suggests he might be from. Bet it'd get to the land of the Hoosiers quicker than something from Come And LIve In Florida land.

If you're north of the border then Botfeeder in Toronto sells good filament, have to admit they sent me a review spool of 3mm yellow ABS that worked very well. It's what my 1.75 PB beta geared extruder was printed with, and what'll be going back in the PB once (shameless plug for the furbull) my Thingybot takes over the skimpy diameter filament duty.

Haven't tried the mystery brand eBay and Amazon stuff for a while, but a couple years back it was spotty, some OK, some pretty much sheep manure.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby DGMurdockIII » 2016-Jun-Thu-18-Jun

About Atomic Filament:

All filaments are produced in house using state of the art equipment and process controls.

There pigments are specially formulated with 3D printing in mind. They contain no high melt point additives , waxes or fillers. This results in superior print quality.

All of there filaments are produced in Southern California using only American made supplies where possible.

We strive to make filament with excellent dimensional stability and color density for excellent consistent prints.

DGMurdockIII

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Jun-Fri-10-Jun

Quoting what looks like a news release, makes this an ad, and not an appropriate post in a year old topic.

Ads belong in the 3D Printing Merchants area, not here. Please repost.

Thanks!

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby DGMurdockIII » 2016-Jun-Fri-13-Jun

its not a ad I'm just trying to state the facts of the company so you don't judge them to quickly

DGMurdockIII

Return to Material talk