Wow PB's painter tape really is the best

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Wed-23-Jan

I ordered a roll of the Uline painter's tape along with my Simple Metal kit, it seemed pricey at $15/roll but I figured I'd try it and then try to find a local source. I wound up picking up some Scotch brand 3M 2090 tape and was surprised to find out just how different it really was. The prints seem to stick ok, at least I'm not having prints separate during printing, however the parts are curling on the bottom so if if I were to need to say glue to halves of a plated model together it would not be possible. I printed a Trammel of Archimedes and the warping was enough to make it unusable. Wiping with alcohol helped a little but not much.

Unfortunately I cannot find any stores that carry Uline tape in Canada except uline.ca but the minimum order is 12 rolls for $148CAD plus tax and probably shipping.

I'm assuming the 2090 designation a that a few of these tapes share is more about the glue side than the top side.

To think I was actually cursing the PB tape sometimes because I often have a real difficult time getting my prints off and have scraped my bed a little :)

Anyone have any luck with any other brands?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Printrbot Simple Metal - Cold Bed (stock)
My designs http://www.thingiverse.com/jphphotography/designs
jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wow PB's painter tape really is the best

Postby KD6HQ » 2015-Jan-Wed-23-Jan

I also use Scotch brand 3M 2090, try lightly rubbing the area you are going to print on with Isopropyl Alcohol just before printing. It does not take much at all. Let it evaporate (just takes a few seconds) then print. Start with something small so you can see if it helps quickly. I find that sometimes the tape comes up with the part, especially if it is a large part.

Also, I do not have a heated bed so I don't know how it will work if your bed is heated. Good luck.

Last edited by KD6HQ on 2015-Jan-Thu-07-Jan, edited 1 time in total.
Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Thu-03-Jan

A google search of "3M 2090 painters tape" came up with .....
http://www.itapestore.com/3painterstape ... 7Aodxl0Aaw
$16.50 a roll (USD)

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby teicher » 2015-Jan-Thu-07-Jan

I get the best results with the cheap white tape, 3M 2020. Has better adhesion to the bed and the prints are less likely to curl as a result. Try it.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Thu-07-Jan

teicher wrote:I get the best results with the cheap white tape, 3M 2020. Has better adhesion to the bed and the prints are less likely to curl as a result. Try it.

I agree, for PLA, i use cheap $2 a roll 3 inch wide masking tape from best buy, with elmers purple disapearing glue stick. The purple in the glue lets you see where it is placed, i just wipe a little on the tape, and then smear it around with my finger until its evenly distributed in a very thin layer.

For ABS i just use clean kapton tape and nothing else, if i have a model that is very tall in thin, i will print with a raft and add a little hairspray. But i clean it off immediatly after the print, i dont like using it because it often sticks tight and i risk damaging the kapton taking it off. Without it the print just pops off the bed as it starts to cool down, at about 80c the print releases from the bed.

I use rubbing alchole to clean my kapton, but you have to pay close attention to the ingredients, mine is just alchole (70%) and water (30%), but some formulations contain glycerine as a mosturiser and perfume, which is not very useful as the glycerine ends up coating the bed and it makes adhesion worse. Make sure you are using a simple formulation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby PxT » 2015-Jan-Thu-09-Jan

I still swear by 50mm wide 3M 3434, but it's not sold at retail in North America.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Thu-09-Jan

@KD6HQ and Willy That's the stuff I've just tried and had the warping issue even with rubbing alcohol, the scotch brand 3M tape seems to be almost all the stores here sells for blue tape beside some noname/store brands.

Just FYI I don't have a heated bed, I've heard Kapton tape doesn't really work that well on cold beds, is that true?

As for hairspray, I really would like to avoid it if possible unless I have a removable build surface that I can spray it onto away from the printer. I'll pick up some glue sticks soon and give that a shot so I have more control of where it's going.

For alcohol I always buy 99% anyway, I hear it's hard to get in some places but where I live you can get it at any pharmacy and a lot of other places. I also have Methyl Hydrate but I haven't thought of trying that until just now.

I've heard people using glass or acrylic sheets over their bed held on with binder clips etc, I think I might try something like this later and adjust my z offset or if the sheet is too thick I'll apply copper tape to the probe points.

Also just to reiterate, the PB tape works fantastic, my main issue is I can't find it here and at $15/roll this winds up costing me more like $18 and then $15 for shipping. That's expensive for a consumable :)

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Thu-10-Jan

Just remembered, I have some lexan kicking around so I'll probably give that a shot this weekend, this guy says it works great for PLA http://www.akeric.com/blog/?p=2158
My only concern is that it is 1/4" thick so I doubt the z probe would be able to sense the bed through it so I'll have to put some foil or tape onto the top for sure. I wonder if cigarette foil would rub onto it and be thick enough for the sensor to pick up, I don't even know if they use the same foil they used to (anyone old enough to remember the giant foil balls people used to make?).

I'll post back with my results, thanks everyone.

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Thu-10-Jan

jphphotography wrote:@KD6HQ and Willy That's the stuff I've just tried and had the warping issue even with rubbing alcohol, the scotch brand 3M tape seems to be almost all the stores here sells for blue tape beside some noname/store brands.

Just FYI I don't have a heated bed, I've heard Kapton tape doesn't really work that well on cold beds, is that true?

As for hairspray, I really would like to avoid it if possible unless I have a removable build surface that I can spray it onto away from the printer. I'll pick up some glue sticks soon and give that a shot so I have more control of where it's going.

For alcohol I always buy 99% anyway, I hear it's hard to get in some places but where I live you can get it at any pharmacy and a lot of other places. I also have Methyl Hydrate but I haven't thought of trying that until just now.

I've heard people using glass or acrylic sheets over their bed held on with binder clips etc, I think I might try something like this later and adjust my z offset or if the sheet is too thick I'll apply copper tape to the probe points.

Also just to reiterate, the PB tape works fantastic, my main issue is I can't find it here and at $15/roll this winds up costing me more like $18 and then $15 for shipping. That's expensive for a consumable :)

Kapton is only usefull with a heated bed and is limited use with PLA even at 60c .

Plain masking tape and elmers glue stick works fine for PLA on a cold bed.

I have also printed PLA onto 3m double sided tape, i had a couple of big flat PLA parts which would warp on a cold bed, so i tried laying down a load of 3m double sided tape with the top tape removed and that worked really well, amazing adhesion. But it required a scrapper and a hammer to get it off the bed afterwards. Roll it onto the bed with the top tape on with a small piece of PVC pipe (About 4 inches). To make sure its down hard. This is only required for some special parts i needed, the run of the mill stuff is fine with the elmers glue.

The PVC pipe roller is great for ensuring that your blue tape/masking tape is well stuck down on the bed, otherwise it can be pulked up by the part cooling.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

After reading endless numbers of what sticks best topics, plus having tried way too many of them, I wonder if there's also some kind of environmental issues (like temp, humidity, etc), or something else (temp, clearance, "levelness", cleanliness), going on, too. It shouldn't be this hard for so many people...

Denatured alcohol has worked well for me for cleaning. It's cheap and easy to find, and the usual online suspects sell a cheap desktop flip top pump bottle that let's you avoid dealing frequently with the can. We get it by the gallon since it's also good for diy pellet stove starter.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

Mooselake wrote:After reading endless numbers of what sticks best topics, plus having tried way too many of them, I wonder if there's also some kind of environmental issues (like temp, humidity, etc), or something else (temp, clearance, "levelness", cleanliness), going on, too. It shouldn't be this hard for so many people...

Denatured alcohol has worked well for me for cleaning. It's cheap and easy to find, and the usual online suspects sell a cheap desktop flip top pump bottle that let's you avoid dealing frequently with the can. We get it by the gallon since it's also good for diy pellet stove starter.

Kirk

I know that crappy PLA that has absorbed too much water does not stick well. If your PLA is poping or jetting steam during extrusion, then that is a sign of poor plastic.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

@Thawkins my PLA hasn't exhibited any popping or jetting, I live I an old house in Saskatchewan and it's bone dry here in winter :) I only started to have this problem once I switched away from the PB tape, I still have half a roll of the PB stuff but I want to find a good alternative before I run out completely. Thanks for the doublesided tape tip, it's good to know options for high adhesiveness when I need to print the tricky stuff.

@Mooselake As for the denatured alcohol, I have a bunch of it because I use it in alcohol stoves I've made for camping :) http://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminu ... e-2-Piece/

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby KD6HQ » 2015-Jan-Thu-20-Jan

Why "things" do not work universally I do not know. I just know that the Isopropyl Alcohol (70/30 alcohol, water) and Scotch 2090 seems to work for me. Recently I've changed vendors for PLA and am doing a lot of test prints. In this picture what you want to look at are the "white" marks left on the tape. Those were left by the test pieces when I lifted them from the tape. On large surface area prints, sometimes the tape sticks to the part and I have to sand it off.

I have read about some other materials that can be used on top of the bed. I have never tried them but here are a couple of links.

http://www.buildtak.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013H ... UTF8&psc=1 (PEI Polyetherimide Sheet)

There has been some discussion on here about Buildtak and PEI, please do a search for them.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works well for you.

thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby teicher » 2015-Jan-Thu-20-Jan

jphphotography wrote:Also just to reiterate, the PB tape works fantastic, my main issue is I can't find it here and at $15/roll this winds up costing me more like $18 and then $15 for shipping. That's expensive for a consumable :)

The photos on the printrbot.com store say "Uline" inside the roll. Is that the brand you are using? Have you tried a local Sherwin Williams or other paint store that works with contractors mostly? They usually have non-3M brands and at prices that are more in line with what tradesmen expect to pay for supplies and consumables.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Fri-09-Jan

Moose? You use a flip top on the one gallon of rubbing alcohol? Wouldnt a pump be easier to use?
Just trying to understand.

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Fri-12-Jan

@Teicher - Yeah the Uline stuff is what I'm saying is so far hands down the best stuff, ie the stuff in the PB shop. I've phoned nearly every place I can think of and nobody carries it, I have contractor buddies so I'll ask them if they have any suppliers I haven't already thought of. Also, I'm in Canada, we don't have Sherwin Williams :) Tried Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona, Home Hardware etc.

Last night I was doing some printing, I wiped the surface down well with rubbing alcohol and the print looked like it was going well, I even was checking in on it periodically during the 2.5hour printing time. When I went to pull it off the bed I realized that this time the tape had pulled off of the metal surface, I was printing two tardis side panels from this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:124033 and they curled enough to possibly be unusable (I'll post pictures later when I'm at home).

Next I tried using a glue stick on the surface, complete failure, the first layer wasn't even sticking while extruding (I'd never had this poor adhesion before). After that I tried sanding the tape surface and then rubbing down with alcohol after, this seemed to work better than just the alcohol alone. I'm anxious to try the lexan but I need to go pick up a proper blade for my jig saw first.

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby ChefScott » 2015-Jan-Fri-13-Jan

I'm still a big fan of OraTape HT55 for my print bed, I have it since I do custom cut vinyl.
It has worked better for me than anything else that I have tried. It is available in several widths from 6.5 inches up to 48 inches, and comes 100 yards to the roll. It is roughly priced at around $25 for 6.5 inch wide and $37 for 12 inch wide
Once applied to the bed simply wipe down with 90% or better isopropyl alcohol and you are good to go (lightly you don't need to saturate it). Prints stick very well to it. It holds up for a long time, the current piece that I have on my bed now has over 40 prints on it.
Just about every vinyl sign supply company carries it. You may even be able to go to a local sign shop and see if they will sell you some to give it a try (heck if you ask nice enough they may even give you a few feet of it free).

ChefScott
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Fri-14-Jan

@ChefScott, is that a masking tape? I actually have a vinyl plotter/cutter (PCut) that I picked up off of a buddy and simply haven't gotten around to setting up yet, I was actually eyeing the nice wide masking tape just before my printer arrived and then I forgot about it until now, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Fri-14-Jan

Willy wrote:Moose? You use a flip top on the one gallon of rubbing alcohol? Wouldnt a pump be easier to use?
Just trying to understand.

That would sure take a long time to run out :)

No, I pour denatured alcohol (it's ethanol that's been made non-drinkable to avoid the tax, think it's called mentholated spirits in some places) into the flip top bottle from the can, with a funnel and newspaper or cardboard under it to catch any spills (ever seen a moose pour something?). I usually fill a quart can or two from the big one first, easier to handle.

I have a small pumper (a WTS-40, came from dx.com I think) sitting on the shelf near this computer. Flip the top and push down a few times to wet a tissue or piece of paper towel, and clean things with it. You're on your own to decide if it's a fire risk or not.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby ChefScott » 2015-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

jphphotography wrote:@ChefScott, is that a masking tape?

Not really a masking tape, it is cut vinyl application tape. The adhesive is latex based and offers a high tack and clean removal. The backing has no wax, silicone or any other type of coating on it.

ChefScott

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Fri-16-Jan

@ChefScott, cool I'll talk to some of the sign shops around here, if the lexan option doesn't work out it would be nice to have some wide rolls anyway just for prints where I don't want seam lines.

@Mooselake, I used to use those flip top alchohol swab bottles at my old job when I was an electronics tech, I've been meaning to buy some for awhile and actually have them in my wishlist on dx.com this'll finally be the kick in the butt to order them :)

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Sun-23-Jan

Ok so I had time today to cut that Lexan and I think this really is the way to go. Initially while I was getting my z-offset figured out using taped on aluminum squares I had left the protective film on the Lexan. I ran a test print of my goto test model (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9350) and it printed great and popped off quite nicely! Next I pulled the protective film off and put my aluminum squares back on and did another print of the same piece, this time it did not come off well, even with flexing the lexan I had to resort to a scraper to get it off and the print broke. I tried raising my z offset by 0.1mm and lowering my first layer temp from 205 to 200 but it caused squiggly lines on the first layer (this was due to layer height). Next attempt I put the z offset back down 0.1 to where it had been but kept the 200 first layer temp (my remaining layers unchanged at 200 as well) and this seems to be the happy medium.

20150118_134343.jpg

20150118_130113.jpg

I really like having a removable platform, this is so incredibly helpful! I think a thinner piece of lexan would be better, the 1/4" doesn't flex all that much and that would be helpful for getting prints off. I see Adafruit has a removable platform they are selling that looks great but seems way overpriced (I could get a heated bed for that much!)

If anyone else is thinking of trying a lexan platform I highly recommend it, however you must go slow and make sure you map the 4 points at which you'll need to put your aluminum foil patches (for the z probe to sense), the first is at the repetier home position (x0 y150) then the ones during the G29 process are roughly x10 y140, x10 y10, x140 y10 if I remember correctly. I put down a piece of paper and ran a g29 then just marked the spots. Note if you try to home z or do the g29 with the lexan installed and you have any of the aluminum squares in the wrong spot it will try to go through the lexan, not sure exactly what would happen but it's definitely something you'd want to avoid. After this you'll need to change your z offset with the m212 command. Manually I positioned the z probe over the aluminum patches and checked to see how far above them the probe was before it was triggered using calipers, I got roughly 3mm, this means it was sensing the squares earlier than the normal metal bed. My current z offset was -0.6 with the metal bed so if I were to try a print it would actually start around 2.4mm above the bed. I lowered my z offset just a little from -0.6 to -1.2 and ran a test print, still way too far above the bed, I new I had a long way to go so this time I went to -2, tested again, still too much but closer, repeated in small increments and finally ended up with -2.9mm. It seems like that initially layer temp does have to be lowered a bit but I'm still fine tuning. As I write this I'm doing a larger test print and I'm seeing the corners curling on one piece that is about 2.5" square so I'm not there yet apparently :) I'll keep posting updates as I get this more dialed in.

PS @Teicher, my appologies, apparently what we call "General Paints" here actually shows up on Google Maps as Sherwin Williams so they must be owned by them. Regardless I phoned today and they said they didn't carry Uline :(

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Sun-23-Jan

Seems to be hard to hit that sweet spot of preventing lifting vs needing a jackhammer to get a piece off. The picture below might have been because I hadn't wiped the lexan down with alcohol first. This is the print I was referring to in the last portion of my last post, just thought I'd upload a photo. On the upside there are no unsightly seam marks :)

So first layer of 205º led to "super adherence", 200º is too little (assuming finger oils weren't the cause). I'm going to try FL temp of 202 next time and see what happens.
20150118_221504.jpg

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Mon-18-Jan

I reprinted this with the first layer temp at 202 (200 for the rest) and wiped the platform down with alcohol before printing, seems to have done the trick. I might have to tweak this as I switch to different filaments but so far so good. I printed some clips to hold it to the bed as well (why would I use binder clips when I have a friggin 3d printer lol).

All of this has me thinking of what else might be a good build surface? PCB fiberglass perhaps or maybe it would bow too much. Nylon cutting board? For that matter the dollar store has thinner plastic "disposable" cutting boards which I used to use for lighting diffusers, probably still have some kicking around somewhere. So many things to try :) I know this much, my painter tape days are firmly behind me.

20150119_165645.jpg

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Tue-06-Jan

Pardon me if I missed it. How thick is the lexan that you used? I find this intriguing as I am a firm believer is reusable (instead of the tape approach)

Willy

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Tue-09-Jan

@Willy I'm using 1/4" Lexan

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby ktfergus » 2015-Jan-Tue-15-Jan

I've had my Simple Metal just over as week now and had no trouble getting prints to stick to my unheated bed just using blue 3M masking tape with transparent Hatchbox PLA. Then I switched to black PLA (from filament Outlet) to print some gears: (58 tooth spur & 80 tooth internal) and several of the teeth pulled up before the filament could cool. While searching for double sided masking tape, I stumbled upon "carpet tape" and decided to give it a try. I've attached some pics below. It's double sided and almost too sticky (I opted for the Heavy Duty variety) but it did get the PLA to stick to the bed & I could print out the gears. In the pics it looks like it might have some texture due to the tape backing, but the upper sticky side is smooth (I might experiment with the tape reversed just to see how a print turns out). I'm still in the early phase of testing it out, but just wondered if anyone else had tried carpet tape. So far it peels off the bed cleanly & any sticky residue on the part can be washed off. I'm going to order some different varieties and try them out. I'll post my progress if anyone's interested.

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
Latest Project: Flux Capacitor
ktfergus

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Tue-17-Jan

jphphotography wrote:I reprinted this with the first layer temp at 202 (200 for the rest) and wiped the platform down with alcohol before printing, seems to have done the trick. I might have to tweak this as I switch to different filaments but so far so good. I printed some clips to hold it to the bed as well (why would I use binder clips when I have a friggin 3d printer lol).

All of this has me thinking of what else might be a good build surface? PCB fiberglass perhaps or maybe it would bow too much. Nylon cutting board? For that matter the dollar store has thinner plastic "disposable" cutting boards which I used to use for lighting diffusers, probably still have some kicking around somewhere. So many things to try :) I know this much, my painter tape days are firmly behind me.

20150119_165645.jpg

You might want to try a thin layer of Elmer's glue stick, the kind that goes on purple and dries clear.

I was sick of paying $11 a roll for tape so when I switched to a heated bed I began using a thin layer of purple glue, worked like a charm right on glass, but that was heated. So i decided to try the same thing on my printer with an unheated bed, and to my surprise it worked better than tape! I have a feeling it will be the same for you.

Some dollar stores sell the glue in 2 or 3 packs for a dollar, I've found that 5 sticks lasts as long as a 3" roll of #2090 tape, so its about 25-30% of the cost for better performance. Just something to think about!

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Tue-17-Jan

Everyone refers to the glue stick that goes on purple, but didn't run across it when I went shopping. However, I've had great success with Scotch "Craft Stick" that goes on white.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Tue-17-Jan

RetireeJay wrote:Everyone refers to the glue stick that goes on purple, but didn't run across it when I went shopping. However, I've had great success with Scotch "Craft Stick" that goes on white.

I just like the purple because when cleaning off the glass after a few prints, it turns purple again so you know when its all gone. Just run it under warm water.

For those wondering, it looks like this.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-09-Jan

That's the stuff! I think the three pack was maybe $4 at the local Walton Emporium. It lasts a long time, almost used up one stick.

Plus you've got something to keep the grandkids busy with, and if they're of the wall-drawing age you'll avoid those crayon marks. Still occasionally find a spot where they (if you look hard) show through the paint where my youngest girl liked to practice her artistry.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

So just so I have this right, you guys are using this on glass build platforms right? @Orangefurball, when you say you tried it on an unheated bed do you mean the powedercoated metal bed or a removable build platform of some type? When I tried a gluestick on my Scotch 3M tape it was worse than no glue at all, mind you I didn't have the Elemer's stuff so I might pick some of that up this weekend.

Just to follow up a little about my Lexan platform, after a number of prints on it the surface is getting scratched up, either from the print lightly fusing with the lexan or from needing to use a scraper to be the print off. I have recently torn apart some old scanners to salvage the stepper motors and linear rods, in the process I also kept the glass platen. Assuming the glass isn't tempered I should be able to cut it down to the appropriate size for a build platform, any tips on finishing the edges so they aren't sharp? A Dremel perhaps? Any other tips for printing on glass?

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Fri-13-Jan

Other ways to treat glass edges. If you have a propane torch you can lightly heat the edge and get a rounded edge (this some times shatters and I dont know why 50% of time so wear protection).
You can tape the other edges and then rub the glass edge on a cement block or even cement wall.
Dremel if you have it with a sanding drum (or any sanding drum).

Willy

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Fri-14-Jan

Willy wrote:Other ways to treat glass edges. If you have a propane torch you can lightly heat the edge and get a rounded edge (this some times shatters and I dont know why 50% of time so wear protection).
You can tape the other edges and then rub the glass edge on a cement block or even cement wall.
Dremel if you have it with a sanding drum (or any sanding drum).

I believe that it cracks because of expansion and contraction during heating.

Some printing enthusiasts with uneven heating on their beds have experienced this, the glass will expand in the middle and create a "bubble" its very faint but it happens.

It doesn't make all the time but sometimes the stress is too much.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

jphphotography wrote:I have recently torn apart some old scanners to salvage the stepper motors and linear rods, in the process I also kept the glass platen. Assuming the glass isn't tempered I should be able to cut it down to the appropriate size for a build platform, any tips on finishing the edges so they aren't sharp? A Dremel perhaps? Any other tips for printing on glass?

Use borosilicate glass (aka Pyrex). Normal glass has a high coefficient of thermal expansion, making it prone to shatter when thermal cycled (particularly if there's a scratch or corner chip). It's expensive, but it's the safe option.

You can buy it pre-cut from mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com/#glass-stock/=vlfwdc). The edge finish is very good, no chip outs that could act as nucleation sites for cracks.

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sat-05-Jan

I just installed a PEI sheet on my Metal Plus' heated bed. I'm trying to print the Makerbot T-Rex skull which is a good test for bed adhesion, and even with a 10mm raft I'm not getting through a print without it popping off.

I've tried the brushed and shiny sides on the piece I have. No real difference it seems.

People talk about a 60°C bed temp. I've dialed in 90°C and the top of the PEI is getting to just 52°C, tested using a thermocouple.

I don't know if it will become stickier if I can get the surface temp up to 60°C, but at present I don't think I can go much higher (maybe with an unreasonably-long heat up time). I could try putting some thermal grease between the heater and the aluminum bed, or I could just wait till I build my new enclosure, which should help me go higher.

Has anyone who has used PEI measured their surface temp?

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Sun-16-Jan

There's a long thread on using PEI on the seemecnc forum. There seems to be a bit of technique to using it, but the OP is having excellent results.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby JonS » 2015-Jan-Sun-16-Jan

Thanks that's a great thread. I did read a bit of another one somewhere (strangely also for a delta printer).

I printed a large part last night and that was fine. The surface in contact with the PEI has a nice smooth finish, and it came off the bed really easily.

The issue I am having seems to be for parts with a small surface area. It'll take me a while to get through the thread you linked to, but I wouldn't be surprised if no one had tried the kind of small surface area, tall print that I was trying.

- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby TutherJay » 2015-Jan-Thu-18-Jan

Interesting, as mentioned before, how widely mileage does, in fact, vary. On this particular topic, though, I have a very atypical (for me) contribution this time:

I'd like to boast about something that I've found THAT ACTUALLY WORKS WELL!@!!! (hard to believe, you counter? Touche)

Turns out that I was given a roll of GREEN painter's tape - actually Frog Tape by name - which is supposed to be easily removed even longer after application than the blue (in painting use, of course). Since it was only 2" wide it takes more time to apply than my 3" blue, but it's so far superior that it's WORTH IT!!!

Now, I do remember mentioning this on another (similar) thread a while back, where the tip that I found interesting was called (IMS) "application tape," which is apparently used by sign makers? Just haven't managed to stop by ye local signage shop here in town, but what intrigues me about that is its mondo WIDTH - which would allow one to simply cut one length and lay it down - kinda like the kapton sheet I'm saving for that grande day when I'm seeing successful prints more than half the time (as opposed to maybe 1 out of 10). Dang, I waste a lot of time and filament for no good purpose!

Anyway, if'n you're in the groove of printing PLA on masking tape, by ALL means check out the Frog!!!

That's my story.

Over and out.

tj

TutherJay
PrintRbot+ v2 built from kit, hatched Sept 9, 2013
PowerTower & RPi/OctoPrint kits added
Repetier/Slic3r mostly; sometimes RPi:OctoPrint
1.75mm via direct drive gear head extruder
(temporarily abandoning Bowden mod - Bridge wouldn't fit thru)
E3D v5 hotend w/ Volcano Eruption upgrade
Stock LC ply bed now adjusted by 3 points, not 4
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby ChefScott » 2015-Jan-Thu-18-Jan

TutherJay wrote:Now, I do remember mentioning this on another (similar) thread a while back, where the tip that I found interesting was called (IMS) "application tape," which is apparently used by sign makers? Just haven't managed to stop by ye local signage shop here in town, but what intrigues me about that is its mondo WIDTH - which would allow one to simply cut one length and lay it down

Yup, Oracal (err Orafol now) Oratape HT55 comes in 6.5 inch, 12 inch (and wider) in 100 yard rolls. Roughly $25 for 6.5 and $37 for 12 inch widths. It is my go to bed tape. It is an application tape for wall vinyl used by sign makers like me. For me it works better than anything I have used yet. :D

Edit: Must be having a mental block.... now I've mentioned this twice in this thread. :lol:

ChefScott

Postby TutherJay » 2015-Feb-Wed-15-Feb

OK - this Oratape HT55 - can you elaborate some on properties? Does HT stand for Hi Temp? For what types of plastic does it work well? How about bed temps? Finally, how long does one app typically last for you?

'Nuf -- this ain't Twenty Questions or Jeopardy, is it?

TutherJay
PrintRbot+ v2 built from kit, hatched Sept 9, 2013
PowerTower & RPi/OctoPrint kits added
Repetier/Slic3r mostly; sometimes RPi:OctoPrint
1.75mm via direct drive gear head extruder
(temporarily abandoning Bowden mod - Bridge wouldn't fit thru)
E3D v5 hotend w/ Volcano Eruption upgrade
Stock LC ply bed now adjusted by 3 points, not 4
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby ChefScott » 2015-Feb-Wed-16-Feb

TutherJay wrote:OK - this Oratape HT55 - can you elaborate some on properties? Does HT stand for Hi Temp? For what types of plastic does it work well? How about bed temps? Finally, how long does one app typically last for you?

'Nuf -- this ain't Twenty Questions or Jeopardy, is it?

OraTape is an application tape for use with wall vinyl. The HT stands for High Tack, the adhesive is natural rubber based allowing it to stick well to silicone coated release liners that wall vinyls typically come on.
So far I have only used it for printing with PLA and a heated bed set between 50 and 70 degrees Celsius. I give it a quick light wipe with some isopropyl alcohol and it's good to go. I have yet to use ABS so I have no clue on how well/if it works with that. But so far when using PLA prints stick really well, with some just being a royal pain to remove.
I am still using the piece I had on earlier in this thread (it was around 40 prints then), and I currently have in the neighborhood of 100 prints on this application of HT55. During the use of this current piece I have had to twice change the M212 command to compensate for the tape actually getting thinner from repeated use.

Just might be time to replace it, but I'm sure I can get a few more prints out of it! :lol:
100-prints-HT55.jpg

ChefScott

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Feb-Wed-18-Feb

That OraTape looks pretty good! I've been doing more experimenting myself and I'm going to start a new thread for people to post ideas and their results for print bed materials called "Printbed Surface Material Testing. The subject of this current post isn't the most descriptive, maybe if the new thread takes off it could be stickied who knows.

jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Postby trathier » 2015-Oct-Thu-12-Oct

Being on a zero budget, I scrounged around our carpentry shop and found some 3M Pro Painter Grade 2020 tan tape, which I lightly sanded and rubbed down with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Seems to work quite well. I'm going to look for the Oratape though.

----------------------------------
Printrbot Metal Plus
Single extruder
Heated bed
4-start lead screw upgrade
Ubis 13s hot end
Gear head Extruder
G2 processor
MatterControl Touch 2nd Generation
trathier
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby teicher » 2015-Oct-Thu-18-Oct

trathier wrote:3M Pro Painter Grade 2020 tan tape, which I lightly sanded and rubbed down with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Seems to work quite well

Another convert! I can't recommend 3M #2020 enough, I never went back to the blue #2090 stuff once I tried #2020. Reduces warping and is cheaper. Can't beat that.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby thawkins » 2015-Oct-Thu-20-Oct

teicher wrote:
trathier wrote:3M Pro Painter Grade 2020 tan tape, which I lightly sanded and rubbed down with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Seems to work quite well

Another convert! I can't recommend 3M #2020 enough, I never went back to the blue #2090 stuff once I tried #2020. Reduces warping and is cheaper. Can't beat that.

for PLA i just use normal el-cheapo white masking tape from best buy applied to a glass bed, and a well leveled and setup bed, never had a problem. No glue or adhesives of any kind. However you also need to be able to recognize when you need to use a raft, if the contact footprint of the print is very small, IE a small tall component, or something on "legs" you would be better creating a raft or using a very wide brim.

temps are usually 200/55 although it seems to work as well on a cold bed.

For ABS i use kapton on glass, again no adhesives or glue.

temps 240/110

Note: for each different filament manufacturer and or color, you will need to adjust those temps up and down a little, generally opaque colors need more heat than transparent/translucent ones to offset the heat insulating effect of the fillers used.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby trathier » 2016-Apr-Fri-12-Apr

I'm finally getting good prints on large flat pieces by doing the following:

Using MatterHacker Pro 1.75mm filament
Setting bed temperature to 80 degrees
Setting extruder to 215 degrees
Using 3M Blue painters tape #2094-SR
Scuffed tape with emery cloth and wiped with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
Setting a 12" fan on high directed at the print bed from about 6" away while printing

Nothing curls, all layers are flat, sticks too well now

Printrbot Metal Plus
Single extruder
Heated bed
4-start lead screw upgrade
Ubis 13s hot end
Gear head Extruder
G2 processor
MatterControl Touch 2nd Generation
trathier