Ok so I had time today to cut that Lexan and I think this really is the way to go. Initially while I was getting my z-offset figured out using taped on aluminum squares I had left the protective film on the Lexan. I ran a test print of my goto test model (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9350
) and it printed great and popped off quite nicely! Next I pulled the protective film off and put my aluminum squares back on and did another print of the same piece, this time it did not come off well, even with flexing the lexan I had to resort to a scraper to get it off and the print broke. I tried raising my z offset by 0.1mm and lowering my first layer temp from 205 to 200 but it caused squiggly lines on the first layer (this was due to layer height). Next attempt I put the z offset back down 0.1 to where it had been but kept the 200 first layer temp (my remaining layers unchanged at 200 as well) and this seems to be the happy medium.
I really like having a removable platform, this is so incredibly helpful! I think a thinner piece of lexan would be better, the 1/4" doesn't flex all that much and that would be helpful for getting prints off. I see Adafruit has a removable platform they are selling that looks great but seems way overpriced (I could get a heated bed for that much!)
If anyone else is thinking of trying a lexan platform I highly recommend it, however you must go slow and make sure you map the 4 points at which you'll need to put your aluminum foil patches (for the z probe to sense), the first is at the repetier home position (x0 y150) then the ones during the G29 process are roughly x10 y140, x10 y10, x140 y10 if I remember correctly. I put down a piece of paper and ran a g29 then just marked the spots. Note if you try to home z or do the g29 with the lexan installed and you have any of the aluminum squares in the wrong spot it will try to go through the lexan, not sure exactly what would happen but it's definitely something you'd want to avoid. After this you'll need to change your z offset with the m212 command. Manually I positioned the z probe over the aluminum patches and checked to see how far above them the probe was before it was triggered using calipers, I got roughly 3mm, this means it was sensing the squares earlier than the normal metal bed. My current z offset was -0.6 with the metal bed so if I were to try a print it would actually start around 2.4mm above the bed. I lowered my z offset just a little from -0.6 to -1.2 and ran a test print, still way too far above the bed, I new I had a long way to go so this time I went to -2, tested again, still too much but closer, repeated in small increments and finally ended up with -2.9mm. It seems like that initially layer temp does have to be lowered a bit but I'm still fine tuning. As I write this I'm doing a larger test print and I'm seeing the corners curling on one piece that is about 2.5" square so I'm not there yet apparently
I'll keep posting updates as I get this more dialed in.
PS @Teicher, my appologies, apparently what we call "General Paints" here actually shows up on Google Maps as Sherwin Williams so they must be owned by them. Regardless I phoned today and they said they didn't carry Uline
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.