[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Distinguish pla from abs

Distinguish pla from abs

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Distinguish pla from abs

Postby EddB » 2014-Aug-Sat-16-Aug

Tried for over an hour to get a new filament to stick to my bed. Checked and rechecked and the bed height is perfect. Measured and reset the diameter over and over. Cleaned the bed repeatedly (iso alcohol) . I had remnants of my old pla rolls with no flaws or problem sticking. Used same settings for the new roll. First layer was 210° with bed at 60°. It would lay a nice new line as it lifted the previous line and melted/gummed up around the nozzle. Real gummy and the buildup around the nozzle was actually burning if it remained to long. (brown color on white filament.). Haven't really seen that with pla.
It was like it was hardened before adhering to the heatbed. Just no stick at all. It's real gummy and hard to clean off a hot nozzle. But won't remain stuck to the 60° heated bed once hardened a bit. It's seems like it's attracted to the hotend.
I can't tell the difference by smell (allergies) and I haven't printed with abs before. Wife says it smell plastic while the known PLA rolls smell edible.. (haven't tried that yet... Hehe).
I went out and got a new spool of pla. Tried it without even adjusting the diameter. Of course it is flawless, even next to impossible to remove from the bed.
It leads me to think the problem roll might be ABS that amazon shipped incorrectly. Only name brand and color listed on the roll, no description of whether it is pla or not. A brand I have used quite often without problem. Is there any way to tell if it is PLA or ABS plastic?
Thanks for any help.
Ed

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Distinguish pla from abs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Distinguish pla from abs

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Aug-Sat-20-Aug

I know this has been answered before, but I can't find the right thread.

ABS is soluble in acetone; PLA is not. I seem to recall that they behave differently if they are heated with a candle flame, but I don't remember the answer. The smell (if you have a functioning nose) is really, really different: melting PLA has like a slightly overheated popcorn smell; melting ABS has a very distinctly chemical smell.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby KDog » 2014-Aug-Sat-21-Aug

PLA is also more brittle than ABS. ABS flexes when you bend it, if you bend PLA too far it will break.

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby passion4profession » 2014-Oct-Tue-01-Oct

passion4profession
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby musk » 2014-Oct-Tue-11-Oct

The color of ABS turns white when you bend it. PLA doesn't really do this. Crease a few samples of raw filament and you'll learn what to look for.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Return to Material talk