ESUN Cleaning Filament

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

ESUN Cleaning Filament

Postby djsloanau » 2014-Jun-Mon-06-Jun

Hi, has anyone seen or tried the new cleaning filament from ESUN http://www.esun3d.net/product.aspx?TypeId=26
Seems like a wonderful idea ... if it works as advertised.

Has anyone used any of the ESUN filament? What were your thoughts on it?

New to the 3D printing game, but not to 3D design
Printrbot Jr V2 with Aluminium extruder
Mods
Y axis tensioner thingiverse thing:143410
Feet to stop vibrations thingiverse thing:212515
extra fans on extruder motor and alimunium head thingiverse thing:274200
hot plate adjustment thumb screws (front only) thingiverse thing:66096
djsloanau
I'm an end stop.

ESUN Cleaning Filament

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESUN Cleaning Filament

Postby GreatGrizzly » 2016-Mar-Thu-14-Mar

I have been using this stuff for about a month now. Its worth the money. Never had a clogged extruder.

I use this every time I switch filaments. The only problem I have with this is it doesn't come on a roll....

GreatGrizzly
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Thu-17-Mar

djsloanau wrote:Hi, has anyone seen or tried the new cleaning filament from ESUN http://www.esun3d.net/product.aspx?TypeId=26
Seems like a wonderful idea ... if it works as advertised.

Has anyone used any of the ESUN filament? What were your thoughts on it?

I have used ESUN filament and was/am happy with it, comparably better than some other no brand ones my printer has seen. I have never had a clog so I don't see the need for cleaning filament. I never run the hotend higher than ~170C unless a print is ongoing.

Last edited by cacb on 2016-Mar-Fri-03-Mar, edited 1 time in total.
Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby ktfergus » 2016-Mar-Thu-22-Mar

I picked up eSun's cleaning filament about six months ago. I use it from time-to-time if my print quality drops. Typically, I'll first get the hotend up to temp and manually use a 0.4mm drill bit to clear any gunk from the nozzle, then I'll feed the cleaning filament thru the hotend. I actually prefer that it's not on a roll; I just cut half a circle's worth and use that. Usually, I feed the filament thru 50mm at a time, while raising the hotend temp from about 180C to 240C and then back down to 180C. When I've used the length of filament, things are usually flowing smoothly. On a couple of occasions with really bad clogs, I've used the cleaning filament to do a "cold pull."

Also, cacb, do you mean "170C" or 270C?

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
Latest Project: Flux Capacitor
ktfergus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Fri-03-Mar

ktfergus wrote:Also, cacb, do you mean "170C" or 270C?

I mean what I wrote - 170C. Notice that this is "holding temperature" not printing temperature. My thinking is that clogs can result from "cooking" non-flowing filament in the hotend. When you are not printing, the filament is not flowing so instead of cooking the non-flowing filament I reduce the temperature to the filament melting point or even lower. Heating the hotend to, say 210C from 170C takes no time if you want to resume printing.

My gcode postfix code switches off the hotend and heated bed. This is both a fire safety thing and also prevents cooking the filament. The prefix gcode contains the required codes for hotend and heated bed printing temperatures.

In practice, I start a printing session by switching on the printer, then manually set heated bed temperature to 65C and hotend to ~170C. I use the OctoPrint web interface for this. As things heat up, I upload the gcode from the PC to the Raspberry PI, using the same web interface. Then just print, the prefix gcode will adjust to printing temperatures, e.g. 210C for the hotend, as I had specified in the slicer (KISSlicer).

Whent the print completes, the hotend and heated bed temperatures will drop to room temperatures if nothing is done. If I want to print again, I repeat the above procedure.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby ktfergus » 2016-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

Notice that this is "holding temperature" not printing temperature.

Ah, I didn't read your post closely enough, how I get the 170C.

I agree that cooked filament results in clogs. I like your "pre-heating" method & might have to give it a try, although I've noticed that my new Ubis 13s heats up much faster than the original ceramic.

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
ktfergus

Postby Corey Warren » 2016-Mar-Fri-21-Mar

ktfergus wrote:I picked up eSun's cleaning filament about six months ago. I use it from time-to-time if my print quality drops. Typically, I'll first get the hotend up to temp and manually use a 0.4mm drill bit to clear any gunk from the nozzle, then I'll feed the cleaning filament thru the hotend. I actually prefer that it's not on a roll; I just cut half a circle's worth and use that. Usually, I feed the filament thru 50mm at a time, while raising the hotend temp from about 180C to 240C and then back down to 180C. When I've used the length of filament, things are usually flowing smoothly. On a couple of occasions with really bad clogs, I've used the cleaning filament to do a "cold pull."

Also, cacb, do you mean "170C" or 270C?

-Kelly

I am scared to death about using a drill bit to clean out my hot end. I don't have the equipment to make sure my drill bit is exactly centered on the nozzle. I'm worried about making the hole bigger. I have used guitar strings to do the same.

Corey Warren

Postby ktfergus » 2016-Mar-Sat-10-Mar

I was leery of using a drill bit as well, but the ones I use, from the link above, are actually super flexible. They're also very fragile--I've broken a couple already--so they will fail long before they ream out the nozzle.

To clear a clog, I just take one of the bits and poke it into the nozzle by hand. I do this with the nozzle still on the hotend, and it usually does the trick. With the hotend at around 200C there's no need to actually "drill" so you could use any implement that's 0.4mm in diameter.

-Kelly

ktfergus

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Mar-Sat-15-Mar

I use a welding tip cleaner, which are designed to clean welding crud out of the small holes in gas welding tips. One of the two stores in Mooseville is a welding supply (the other's a gas station/small grocery store) so they're both cheap and easy to find - and if you can get them here they should be really easy to find (almost any hardware or big box store) in places with a higher population than a handful of houses and a moose.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Material talk