[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Are tangles on spools common?

Are tangles on spools common?

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Mon-11-May

I'm making my way towards the end of my first spool and, while I love the material I bought, there were a number of tangles that seem to be the result of the way it was wound. What I mean is the live end was crossed under several downstream coils of the filament. This resulted in uneven tension going to the extruder, the collapse of several different methods of spool mounting, and one case where it tipped my printer over in the middle of a print (no more printing overnight while I'm asleep!).

So, is this tangling/line crossing just a fact of printing-with-filament life? Or are some brands of filament spooled better than others?

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are tangles on spools common?

Postby EddB » 2014-May-Mon-13-May

I always roll mine onto a new roll. Not really due to tangling, but due to a sticking problem. Don't know if it is because it is warm when put on the rolls or sitting in the sun while on the delivery vehicle. I've had a couple rolls that the filament on the roll sticks between turns. It is not free to unroll and will yank the spool down if I am not watching. It causes uneven extrusions if it has to yank the stuck part free (if it can).
Now I just use a cordless drill attached to a spool rod/hub and spend a couple minutes making sure it is free to feed.
I have had a couple rolls like you describe as well. It appears that they are spun so tight that the top filament gets pulled into/beneath the spooled filament, causing a tangle since it is deeper in the spool than the filament that was rolled before it..

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby KDog » 2014-May-Mon-13-May

Some brands are definitely better than others. In my experience with rope, if the line is loose when you spool it then it will develop tangles. What happens is that the top line ends up underneath coils beneath it and gets pinched. The other thing that I've seen that varies with manufacturer is twists in the filament. I've had to stop prints to untwist everything so it would feed correctly. Have also had prints where I would hold the spool in my hands to pull out the pinched coils. Very annoying. The only way to fix seems to be respooling.

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-May-Mon-14-May

Just FYI, I've never had any of those problems with Taulman nylon or T-Glase. As a general rule, though, you DO have to be careful when you first "release" the free end from whatever is constraining it. If the filament wants to unwind itself, several turns will suddenly loosen and you could easily lose track of the free end -- and start out with it having already ducked under another turn, creating a knot.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby bleeps » 2014-May-Mon-14-May

bleeps
I'm an end stop.

Return to Material talk