[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - PLA sticks for Hot Glue Gun

PLA sticks for Hot Glue Gun

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby thebilldrum » 2014-May-Mon-16-May

If any filament manufactures are lurking here: can you make PLA hot glue sticks that match the filament colors?

thebilldrum
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PLA sticks for Hot Glue Gun

Postby Mooselake » 2014-May-Tue-09-May

Look back in the forum. Not sure about hot glue sticks specifically, but you should be able to use colored Sharpies (or equivalent) on the outside of the stick for at least some basic tinting. Experiment!

How do glue sticks differ from filament, other than the obvious size difference? Have you tried printing some colored test sticks and seeing what happens?

The manufacturing process is likely quite different. Filament is extruded with high speed machinery and quickly cooled. Glue sticks are quite large in comparison and probably need a much different type of production machine.

Check out the DIY filament extruders. If the raw material is close enough you may be able to use it to cast your own sticks.

Interesting subject...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby spitfirehauser » 2014-May-Tue-09-May

If you want them to fix imperfections on the outside of models or to stick 2 pieced back together you can us your dermal tool. I have used this several times with GREAT success. just take a small piece of filament put it in the small chuck for your Dremal tool. Spin up the dremal tool to high and touch it to the 3d printed model. Friction will make the filament in the dermal tool melt and give you a little puddle that will then solidify and make a solid connection.

Steve Hauser
Modified Simple 2014 kit
spitfirehauser
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby redwood » 2014-May-Tue-11-May

Make sure you wear eye protection if you do the spinning dremal unless you want to look like a pirate all the time.

Printrbot Plus v2.1
redwood
Printing skirt...

Postby TutherJay » 2014-May-Tue-19-May

Um -

I have no idea how much of this you need, but to at least test how a HMGG would handle PLA (I'd be curious myself, to possibly have the stunt in my repertoire) you could print up one or two "sticks" to try out, right? Then you'd be in control of the color, too.

Deposit your two cents in the slot below.

Tjm

TutherJay
PrintRbot+ v2 built from kit, hatched Sept 9, 2013
PowerTower & RPi/OctoPrint kits added
Repetier/Slic3r mostly; sometimes RPi:OctoPrint
1.75mm via direct drive gear head extruder
(temporarily abandoning Bowden mod - Bridge wouldn't fit thru)
E3D v5 hotend w/ Volcano Eruption upgrade
Stock LC ply bed now adjusted by 3 points, not 4
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby PxT » 2014-May-Fri-11-May

Or, you know, you could just buy colored hot glue sticks. Ex: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/4-a ... ks-635177/

PxT
Print complete...

Postby stupendousman » 2014-May-Fri-14-May

Jay hit the jackpot. Print a stick the same dimensions as a glue stick with pretty solid infill, stick it in a cheap glue gun, and see what happens!

stupendousman
Levelling print bed...

Postby TutherJay » 2014-May-Fri-12-May

No pressure here, but I'm still curious if/how this worked???

Don't think I ever heard any spec's on how hot your typical HMGG works - anyone know that trivia? None of mine are fancy enough to offer temp control, but I'd be surprised if SOMEONE doesn't make such. Lately, as my Pbot+ hot end is DITD I might satiate my extruding itch by manual layup w/ a GG, no? What could I make in GLUE, I wonder....

TutherJay
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay

Postby Munson » 2014-May-Fri-13-May

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby EddB » 2014-May-Fri-19-May

I wonder if you could use a hot glue pot. A little 3x0.5 inch heat pot for melting glue sticks, then you can dip parts or apply it directly. I wonder if PLA would remain stable or if it is destroyed/consumend by continuous heating? I have tons of scrap parts I could toss into the pot to glue parts together.

Something lime this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glue-Skillet-Gl ... 1019623006

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby TutherJay » 2014-May-Sun-00-May

TutherJay
<sigh>
TutherJay

Return to Material talk