[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Colorfabb XT clear filament

Colorfabb XT clear filament

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby djsloanau » 2014-Apr-Tue-09-Apr

I just received my order of Colorfabb XT, Taulman t-glase and a sample of the Laywoo-D3 wood filament. I realised after ordering it that the t-glase works best with a larger hole extruder, 0.7 to 1mm, so I have ordered new print heads for that. The Laywood I will play with when I have time, but I was abxious to see what the Colorfabb XT was like after all the good reviews it has received.

I had to clean out a blockage in my Ubis head first and burn out some hardened PLA from the nozzle before I could try it. First time cleaning out the element and nozzle had me a bit nervous, but all went well.

I set up the XT with initial settings recommended on the box, 220°C to 240°C. This proved too high as the filament was bubbling out of the head. I changed it gradually down to 200°C and it extruded perfectly, no bubbles or imperfections. Running a small piece to finish off the magnet retention for the Zipper fridge magnet (Thingiverse thing:259279) I had a few hiccups where the head temp suddenly went down to 180°C when I had set it to 200°C. the filament still extruded, but was very dry and not bonding well. I discovered that I had used the PLA settings in Slic3r instead of the modified ones for the XT. I manually changed the temp to 200°C again and it printed well after that.

I decided to test the thin wall ability of the Colorfabb XT by printing the 6 sided twisted vase (Thingiverse thing:18672). I had attempted this before on both PLA and ABS with poor results. To say I was astonished with the results is an understatement. After hot end and bed reached operating temps, I extruded 5mm of filament to prime the head, then started the job. The base went down perfectly and the walls printed without any strands or stray loops or splits or blobs that had appeared with ABS or PLA. Walls were perfect to the top with clarity consistent from base to the top. I am really impressed.

In conclusion, I will be printing with this for the foreseeable future, interspersed with t-glase and other, new materials as they come on the market. It prints easier than PLA. I used a heated bed with Kapton tape set to 70°C, but I have read that it should print on a cold bed with painter's tape. I know that I had no problems removing the printed piece once the bed had cooled down. It just popped off, but was held fast while hot. I found printing with a first layer head temp. of 205°C and other layers of 200°C gave me best results. Printing slowly, 10-20mm/s gives great results, but I will test with higher speeds to get a middle ground between perfect layer vs speed.

One note, once up to temperature the head drools a bit, so a manual extrusion once bed and head are up to temp. will ensure the head is primed and ready to go.

I LOVE this material, easier to use than PLA with the strength of ABS or greater (from reports) and yet still has good flexibility.

vase.jpg

filament-clips.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New to the 3D printing game, but not to 3D design
Printrbot Jr V2 with Aluminium extruder
Mods
Y axis tensioner thingiverse thing:143410
Feet to stop vibrations thingiverse thing:212515
extra fans on extruder motor and alimunium head thingiverse thing:274200
hot plate adjustment thumb screws (front only) thingiverse thing:66096
djsloanau
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Colorfabb XT clear filament

Postby in_the_garage » 2014-Jun-Sat-12-Jun

Hi Djsloanau,

Nice Results! I'm trying to print with colorfabb xt l but I find a lot of back pressure on the filament as it extrudes which eventually causes the hobbled bolt to cut into the colorfabb XT filament and it stops extruding. I've had luck with very short prints but nothing versatile that I can use. What are your Slic3r settings?

in_the_garage
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby printedsolid » 2014-Jun-Sun-07-Jun

XT has a pretty high melt strength, so if your extrusion rate is too high, you can definitely run into backpressure issues in the nozzle. I haven't had a chance to play with it on my simple yet, but based on performance on other machines, I'd shoot for 230-240 with a print speed of no more than 50 and extrusion ratio somewhere between 90-95 as a starting point. Minimal to no part cooling required.
I'm pretty surprised to hear djslonau have good success at 200. I don't think I've ever tried running it that low. Might give it a shot myself!

printedsolid
Loading filament...

Postby djsloanau » 2014-Jun-Tue-21-Jun

Hi guys, been offline for a while undergoing chemo, so haven't been printing or checking the forum.
I think my temps on the hot end are reporting back on the low side, rather than the actual temp, but I have no way to check it, so I may be printing at 220 when it is set at 200 for all I know. I usually print pla at 185 to 195 so that would support that theory.
I'm not at home to check my slic3r settings, but I have slowed the print speed down to 10 or 15 which helped with back pressure. I will try to get back to you later today.

Mods
djsloanau
I'm an end stop.

Postby djsloanau » 2014-Jun-Wed-20-Jun

Ok, sorry I didn't get back yesterday, but here are some of the SLic3r settings for XT clear.
Speed
Slic3rSpeed.jpg

Filament
Slic3rFilament.jpg

Extruder
Slic3rExtruder.jpg

Layers
Slic3rLayers.jpg

I haven't used the XT in Cura yet, but the improvement I had in using it with PLA should follow for using it with XT.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mods
djsloanau
I'm an end stop.

Postby PxT » 2014-Jun-Fri-19-Jun

You know that you can export your Slic3r config, right? Instead of posting screenshots, you can post a text file and then anyone can just load up your settings. 100x easier all around.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby djsloanau » 2014-Jun-Fri-19-Jun

No, I didn't, I'll look into it, thanks. Just grabbed some shots between hospital and picking my son up from school.

Mods
djsloanau
I'm an end stop.

Return to Material talk