Recycling ABS & PLA...

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Recycling ABS & PLA...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Mar-Fri-13-Mar

This is a response to the excellent post by AlexC (viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6631), regarding stuff I've been fooling around with for some time now. I don't have a garden, compost pile, or worm ranch, so this is what I do:

ABS: I keep a lot of ABS juice/slurry on hand for creating forms & objects in a process like laying up fiberglass. Paper towels, thin fabric; a lot of things work well. There are some materials that the ABS stuff doesn't adhere to: silicone, saran wrap, polypropelene, parchment paper (for baking). Test it first, though. The project will shrink and deform a bit (Yay! ABS!) but it can be beaten into submission with the judicious use of a heat gun.

PLA: This is a little trickier and unless you live alone you will definitely need approval of the Boss of the Kitchen. Heat your oven to about 410F (205C), put your PLA scraps in a non-stick pan/cookie sheet and just melt it. Use foil on the bottom of the oven; there may be spillover. Check it every ten minutes or so, You'll get air bubbles, so pull it out and pop the bubbles with anything that works and put it back in the oven. Repeat as necessary.

orange.jpg

mars.jpg

So, what good is it, you ask? You can laser cut PLA, or work it like any other plastic. You can make thick pieces that you can mill with a little CNC machine (like the ShapeOko). Or you can shape thin sheets with a heat gun, soldering iron; anything hot enough to melt it. Or use superglue, epoxy, tape, etc. It can be really fun stuff to play with and doesn't require a lot of imagination to use.

As always, use common-sense safety precautions (ventilation especially), and if it's too weird for you to consider, forget I said anything.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldJ
Support material...

Recycling ABS & PLA...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Recycling ABS & PLA...

Postby plexus » 2014-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

Excellent idea! and the ingot can just be marked with the plastic type and put in recycling. So non-stick pans release the plastic with no issues? PLA and ABS?

plexus
Site Admin

Re: Recycling ABS & PLA...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Mar-Fri-16-Mar

plexus wrote:Excellent idea! and the ingot can just be marked with the plastic type and put in recycling. So non-stick pans release the plastic with no issues? PLA and ABS?

I don't melt the ABS, only the PLA. But yes, once it cools the PLA piece just pops off if you give the pan a good smack.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Return to Material talk