Filament storage...

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Filament storage...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jan-Sun-15-Jan

Over time, I've accumulated quite an array of filament of different sizes, materials, and colors; storage has always been an issue. I don't like those specialized containers, so I stumbled across a different solution; stretchy packing tape.

With a partially used spool, simply wrap it a few (or more) times with that stuff; add some dessicant if humidity/moisture is a problem. Then you can toss it in a box and store anywhere.

This method keeps the spool tightly wrapped and at least dust/dirt/animal hair free. Good for shop environments, too.

filament.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldJ
Support material...

Filament storage...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Filament storage...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Sun-16-Jan

All the big box stores (both hardware and Wal-Mart / Target types) have a very wide variety of plastic tub storage boxes. Their tops may not seal perfectly, but I've found that you don't really need an airtight seal. A half a pound of crystal kitty litter in the bottom will keep the contents dry for years. (Dry the kitty litter in an oven at 175F or more for a couple of hours, then let it cool before putting it in the container.)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jan-Sun-18-Jan

RetireeJay wrote:All the big box stores (both hardware and Wal-Mart / Target types) have a very wide variety of plastic tub storage boxes.

Very true, but I bet you don't live in a small studio apartment :D

With the wrap, I can stash spools wherever I can find the space...

10+ spools now, awaiting 6 more of the discount stuff from PBHQ; it can get bothersome.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Jan-Mon-08-Jan

I recently bought 3 spools of obsessed discount stuff and I'm quite impressed. You don't get to pick color and you usually get several different kinds but it's worth it. I probably have a pound of almost every color pb has now. I use the tub and kitty litter trick and it works well as I've never had steaming filament yet. I live in the nw also which is rain city.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby redwood » 2014-Jan-Tue-13-Jan

DonaldJ wrote:
Very true, but I bet you don't live in a small studio apartment :D

I used to live in a 500 sq ft studio apt. I had a few of these wire shelf racks with wheels. You can store a ton of things on them and all the way up to the ceiling. Now I use the racks to store my stuff in a self storage place.

These rubbermaid all access storage bins below are the way to go with bin storage.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-S ... /203837351

I have a closet full of them. Also makes it easier to move when the time comes. I'm always moving.

Printrbot Plus v2.1
redwood
Printing skirt...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jan-Thu-12-Jan

redwood wrote:
I used to live in a 500 sq ft studio apt.

That's about 25 per cent more space than I have now...

Rolling wire racks? Got 'em. Big tubs? Got 'em. All full.

Too much other stuff fighting for space...oversize ShapeOko, small lathe, smaller drill press, toolboxes, audio stuff, photography stuff, art crap, books, vinyl, supplies, parts, much more; it never ends.

Madness.

So, my low-rent solution is working perfectly for me.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby redwood » 2014-Jan-Thu-16-Jan

Start getting rid of stuff. Its hard to do but liberating. I've been working on this since Christmas. Plus, you'll have more place for new stuff.

I'm thinking of filling up an SUV full of old stuff and selling it at the flea market. I would be able to get rid of it all in one shot and not have to deal with craigslist. I don't really care about the money.

Last edited by redwood on 2014-Jan-Sun-16-Jan, edited 1 time in total.
Printrbot Plus v2.1
redwood
Printing skirt...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jan-Fri-13-Jan

redwood wrote:Start getting rid of stuff. Its hard to do but liberating

That's crazy talk ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby leon06 » 2014-Feb-Thu-02-Feb

I am a seller of filament making material in Rothwell. To store raw material and manufactured material, I have rented out a permanent Self storage in Rothwell for long-term at month-to-month charges.

leon06
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby jeromedayton » 2014-Feb-Fri-20-Feb

RetireeJay wrote:All the big box stores (both hardware and Wal-Mart / Target types) have a very wide variety of plastic tub storage boxes. Their tops may not seal perfectly, but I've found that you don't really need an airtight seal. A half a pound of crystal kitty litter in the bottom will keep the contents dry for years. (Dry the kitty litter in an oven at 175F or more for a couple of hours, then let it cool before putting it in the container.)

RJ-

Okay I've found the Gamma Seal 5 gallon buckets and the Crystal Kitty Litter. How do you contain the litter so it doesn't get on the spools? Do you put it inside a pillow case?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Jerome
Retired Software Developer
Printrbot Simple operational since Xmas 2013
Printrbot Jr v 2 with alu extruder March 2014
jeromedayton
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Feb-Sat-09-Feb

I just poured the kitty litter in the bottom of the box. Then any kind of a piece of wood or plastic sits on the kitty litter, and the spools sit on top of that. The wood or plastic does not seal against the sides of the container, so there is some air circulation. The crystal kitty litter is not dusty, so it pretty much stays put at the bottom of the container. I have plans for another use where I figure I'll just pour the kitty litter into a sock and tie it off.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Material talk