Printrbot filament

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Printrbot filament

Postby EpicGoogle » 2013-Dec-Mon-17-Dec

Hi all, I got my Simple for Christmas and used the starter filament which was black for me until yesterday when I tried the Metallic Charcoal Grey I also got but upon trying to print with it I find I'm not getting the same quality prints as with the black PLA. For those of you that use it what settings do you use?

EpicGoogle
Waiting to connect to printer...

Printrbot filament

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot filament

Postby eddknapp » 2014-Jan-Mon-12-Jan

I tried printing with the metallic charcoal grey. It started off printing fine. Got through the skirt and then half way through the 1st layer then it seemed like it clogged the nozzle.

Printrbot Simple 2013
eddknapp
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Gleedaniel13 » 2014-Feb-Mon-10-Feb

metallic charcoal grey

Maybe that is not a good quality of printing in the long run. I think you can try other alternatives that will lasts in the long run. :)

Gleedaniel13
Loading filament...

Postby EddB » 2014-Feb-Mon-15-Feb

I got an lb of metallic grey with my simple (a lighter gray, not black/gray) . The stuff is hard to print with. Several clogs and I had to run it a little hotter (5 degrees) to prevent slow, thin extrusion. I switched between 2 spools of non-metallic colors and the metallic grey (trying to use it up). Had problems each and every time I went to it, switch back and the problems quit.
A lot of the clogs I was able to clear by heating the extruder up to 240, lossening the feed on the extruder and quickly feed 20 mm of filament by hand. You could actually see it "pop" and the feed volume changed when it cleared the clog. A couple times I did have to take the nozzle off and burn off the jammed material
I ran out of it last night (so glad!). I have not had a single jam with the non-metallic colors. So using this sample stuff has really turned me off to metallic colors for now. (at least the gray mettalic!)

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

I've had no problems with the Metallic Charcoal (.35mm nozzle).

Usually I print all my PLA at 205C.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Feb-Thu-20-Feb

I love the metallic grey stuff. I find that it's super important to take filament diameter averages everytime I swap colors.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Return to Material talk