Using white masking tape and not the blue.

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby DavidV » 2013-Dec-Fri-15-Dec

First post on the site.

I have been using the standard white masking tape with few issues, if not less than I had with blue tape. Why do people use blue over white?

The only issues I have had is sometimes the top layer on the tape rips off with the part. Only happened a few times.

Note: I lightly sand the white tape.

I'm using a printrbot simple, black PLA, 198 degrees.

DavidV
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Using white masking tape and not the blue.

Postby DonaldJ » 2013-Dec-Fri-17-Dec

Maybe the blue painter's tape is easier to remove from the printbed when replacing?

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby PxT » 2013-Dec-Fri-18-Dec

For one thing, the blue tape is very widely available (at least here in the US, not sure where you are located) and more importantly is easy to find in different widths. I can get 4-inch or 6-inch wide rolls very easily at retail but finding normal white masking tape that wide is unusual.

Not sure if it matters but standard masking tape uses a different type of adhesive than the blue painters tape too so there may be some differences in how well it sticks to the bed.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby DavidV » 2013-Dec-Fri-19-Dec

I work at Sherwin Williams that is why I tried this stuff. Oddly enough we have wide rolls of masking tape that are white but the blue tape stops at 2 inches. At home depot the 3" blue is 13 bucks or so. The 3" white CP66SW at Sherwin Williams is 4.50ish. It is on sale right now. Even full retail price at is 5.79 much cheaper than the depot blue.

I have not have had any issues removing white masking tape or with residue from adhesive on the wood pb simple surface. I am thinking the blue tape (I only use Scotch type 2090 that is standard painters blue tape) is very standardized, while white masking tape varies by brand so the tape you have in your laundry room cupboard might work different than the stuff I have. But that is where experimentation kicks in.

If anyone wants to try there should be a sherwin near you, they are everywhere. Item number 153-4957. I would like to see what other people think. I lightly sand it with a fine grit sanding block (161-2704) also on sale right now.

I never have tried not sanding actually. I just feel like the less "glossy" sanded surface is better.

Note: I am not trying to push Sherwin products I just have the receipt in front of me.

DavidV

Postby DavidV » 2013-Dec-Sat-07-Dec

update: better print adhesion with white tape then 2090 blue.

High temps do cause too much bondage between tape and PLA so that is an issue.

DavidV

Postby jenfour6 » 2014-Apr-Sat-09-Apr

DavidV:
I think one of the main reasons why people use blue tape instead of white is because it is more visible when doing paintwork/housework, etc. It is especially useful when painting around the border of doors, windows or shelves. It is more common for people to have light colored rooms, so they will use a tape that stands out (the blue). People will outline a border with the tape and then paint over it so that when they take the tape off there is a perfect line between the two colors. If you need to start buying a different brand of tape, there are all kinds of different types and colors you can get from abatix that are priced reasonably. I hope this helps!

jenfour6

Postby Hoverhead » 2014-Sep-Thu-08-Sep

Hi, I wondered what was special about Blue tape myself and asked around and read up where I could. I've used white, blue and green tapes on my printer table. I believe that the different colours indicate how long a tape can be left inplace and still be removeable without leaving residue.
I also found that some tapes bonded too well with the pla.
I've settled on a green tape that after it has been degreased with actone has very good adhesion and releases easily to/from the pla and even a Nylon filament I'm trying out.

Hoverhead
Levelling print bed...

Postby Bellus » 2014-Sep-Thu-21-Sep

I have completely ditched masking tape all together in favor for PET, works great for both ABS & PLA. It's a bit more expensive than scotch blue tape but cheaper than KAPTON. plus it is thicker and tends to last longer.

Bellus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Sep-Fri-17-Sep

I've been using the white masking tape lately with PLA on a heated bed and it works great. Now I can save my blue painters tape for case modding.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby KD6HQ » 2014-Sep-Sat-21-Sep

When I go into the hardware store (the big warehouse kind) I find several different brands of tape. Right now I'm using the "Blue" tape from 3M Scotch-Blue Painter Tape" # 2090". Sometimes it has too much adhesion especially on bigger parts. Recently I printed a 160mm square and it was very difficult to get off. I print with 175mm PLA. I would use PET but I do not have a heated bed. So my point is that when you mention the color of tape you are using, please also include the manufacture and model #. Other wise someone could end up with quite a few rolls of blue tape.

thank you

Printrbot Simple Makers Kit (1405) modified.
Core XYZ

It's all in the details!
KD6HQ
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby thawkins » 2014-Sep-Sat-23-Sep

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:I've been using the white masking tape lately with PLA on a heated bed and it works great. Now I can save my blue painters tape for case modding.

Me too, for both abs and pla, its less than $2 a roll here, and i can get it in 40mm wide rolls.

Combined with glue stick its a winner, i have a sheet of PEI im going to try as an alternative, but im waiting for the adhesive transfer tape to arrive.

Brand wise its just no name white masking tape.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby teicher » 2014-Sep-Sun-20-Sep

I have both 3M blue (2090) and white (2020) tape and found that the white sticks to the non-heated powder coated bed of my simple metal better while printing than the blue, which is good for battling edge curling and warping. As a result, I get flatter parts when I use white instead of blue.

Since you work at sherwin williams, do you know if they have a tape has the surface characteristics of the blue combined with the high adhesion of the white? That would be a good combination. I know some have printed with gaffing tape and that stuff is super sticky, but it's also quite costly.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby thawkins » 2014-Sep-Mon-03-Sep

Here is a couple of shots of my Zen Toolworks machine printing ABS onto PEI

Its running a printed copy of the printrbot alu extruder, moded to take a jHead.

The PEI is not propery attached here, just masking tape to hold it down. Im waiting for some thermal glue tape.

The PEI is matt side up, and just a wipe down with isoprop before printing.

Temps are 230 extruder, 90 bed. Black chinese ABS.

To give you an idea of scale the object being printed inside the skirt is 100mm per side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro