New Material: PET+

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby JonS » 2013-Dec-Fri-01-Dec

From 3ders.org:

3D printing materials startup MadeSolid has just launched PET+, a strong and flexible material for 3D printers. According to the company, the PET+ is derived from a different strain than existing PET filaments on the market. PET+ is stronger than many ABS filaments and has the high print success rate of PLA. It is ideal for functional objects that need to combine toughness with flexibility, such as phone cases, wearables, robotics, and mechanical parts.

PET+ is compatible with 3D printers that use 1.75mm size filament.

PET+ Properties:

Flexible Strength
100% Recyclable
FDA Approved for contact with foods
Easy Adhesion (No heated bed required. Sticks to blue painters tape)
Hydrophobic: Doesn't absorb water like nylon does
High qualify spooling and extrusion. Consistent diameter and no bubbles
More flame resistant than PLA and ABS
Price: $34.99 for 1 lbs / 0.45kg and $69.99 for 2.2lbs / 1kg. Available in translucent Clear and in opaque Black, White, Green, and Red.

They also sell 100 grams for $7, which is a nice way of allowing people to try it. http://shop.madesolid.com/collections/plastics/products/copy-of-madesolid-strong-filament-1-75mm-100-grams

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Material: PET+

Postby kate » 2014-Jan-Fri-02-Jan

The problem was that I did not have good repetability for the bed-to-hot end clearance. Sometimes my prints were not smooshed down enough and would lift off at the corners or all over; other times they were too deeply embedded in the canvas and were impossible to pull off. I've broken glass plates and also broken the glue bonding canvas to glass or Garolite when the plastic was too deeply embedded.

kate
kate
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Material talk