Filament Recommendation for Compression

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby pkreitler » 2016-Nov-Wed-14-Nov

Hi. I am trying to determine the best filament material to use for a part under heavy compression load. The part is essentially a thin washer about 1/32-inch (0.8 mm) thick. The part acts as a spacer where a thin walled tube sits atop a flat surface. There is a dynamic load on the tube occasionally that causes it to move slightly on the washer. I printed the part using ABS with 100% infill. Over time the ABS part compressed under the weight of the tube. I would like to find a material that won't deform over time, but also won't crack when the tube moves. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

pkreitler
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Filament Recommendation for Compression

Postby musk » 2016-Nov-Wed-19-Nov

pkreitler wrote:Hi. I am trying to determine the best filament material to use for a part under heavy compression load. The part is essentially a thin washer about 1/32-inch (0.8 mm) thick. The part acts as a spacer where a thin walled tube sits atop a flat surface. There is a dynamic load on the tube occasionally that causes it to move slightly on the washer. I printed the part using ABS with 100% infill. Over time the ABS part compressed under the weight of the tube. I would like to find a material that won't deform over time, but also won't crack when the tube moves. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Not sure how precise you need this, but I'd try using Ninjaflex (or semiflex) and making it thick enough to account for the amount of squish under full load. Even though it's flexible, it's insanely durable (almost indestructible) and doesn't seem to easily deform in permanent ways.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Nov-Wed-20-Nov

Nylon is extremely tough and much less elastic than Ninjaflex. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5286&p=34498

One downside is that nylon is a bit sensitive to water & humidity - it can swell and/or warp just a bit (not too bad).

Also, for 3D printing, it's not really very good for printing things that have lots of on/off moves because it oozes - but it should be fine for printing a washer. You can print it on 70C heated glass (or presumably other materials) if you use glue stick to prep the surface.

How many washers do you need to print? If you only need a few meters of nylon and if you use "3mm" filament, then PM me and I can send you some (I have a stock that I rarely use any more).

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby WayTooManyHobbies » 2016-Nov-Thu-05-Nov

Plastics in general exhibit significant creep under load - on other words, they don't maintain their shape over time. Without knowing more about the use of the part it's difficult to make a good recommendation, but I'd suggest that 3D printed plastic is probably not the best choice.

WayTooManyHobbies
Levelling print bed...

Return to Material talk