Filament storage/Ziploc sealed box review

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Fri-08-Oct

I stumbled across this article a month ago, and finally ordered up some Ziploc/Iris airtight storage boxes from the big A. The storage situation in the Moosecave Annex was getting a bit out of control. Between 1.75 and 3.0 I've got a couple dozen spools plus quite a few starter coils/samples/mini-spools, etc. stored in miscellaneous types of containers and the odd stack or two. I've been putting cottage cheese size containers of Crystal Kitty LItter in the tubs for humidity control, but my eBay cheap humidity gauges say the non-airtight tubs are around 55% which is higher than the current indoor humidity (yes, I know it's getting to be time to fire up the humidifier; no duct mounted gadgets for radiantly heated floors)., but no problems with moisture so far. The price varies considerably, Amazon ranged from $54 to $33 for four of them. Unusually I snagged them at the lower price.

As you can see in TFA the ZL boxes have a foam seal and multiple clips. They comfortably hold 6 spools, and likely would take at least 9 with stacking. Two stack nicely under the overflow coffee table, wouldn't go higher if you need to get to the ones on the bottom regularly. I split my stash into PLA and non-PLA, 1.75 and 3.0, and while they're all pretty full they have room for more plastic (couple more coming with the Thingybot...) in all the boxes. Time to start using some of the alternative stuff, there's PETG, Bridge, PCPTE, nylon weedwhacker twine (recommended source of cheap nylon in 2012, got a big spool of the then-recommended brand), odd samples, and still part of Printrbot's original 3.0 natural ABS in the unspooled plastic bag (hint, cut an X and feed from the center).

The kitty litter is down in the microwave drying out (it's mostly silica gel), in a high temp capable glass container; I used a pyrex bowl since Mrs. Moose is at work today (if you do that wash and put away before they come home...). Couple minutes at at time, occasional stir, check temp after each cycle. With the airtight seal I'm hoping the humidity will drop like a rock.

They're pretty stout for this class storage box, not sure I'd stack them 30 feet (OK, 10m) high, but more than good enough for filament storage unless you play soccer with them. If you are a less compulsive filament collector then use what you need and store your sweaters in the rest. Recommended.

Here's a couple pix.

Kirk

Ziplock1.jpg

Ziploc2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Filament storage/Ziploc sealed box review

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Oct-Fri-09-Oct

I've had a similar setup (with a scrap leftover storage bin) for going on three years now. I dried the kitty litter once in a conventional oven for several hours, and the humidity indicator strip I put in the bin has stayed pegged at blue the whole time. Even when I have had the lid only loosely lying on the to of the bin for months at a time. Crystal kitty litter is the way to go!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Fri-09-Oct

Convection oven? What was I thinking - this is Mooselake.

StoveDrying.jpg

It's hot enough to boil water, good enough to dry some silica gel.

That's a Kent Tile Fire from 1979, been in use ever since, and still looks almost new. It's not tilted, that's something with the picture and not the stove. It's carbon neutraled an awful lot of trees. These days it's for the "corner seasons" when it's not quite cold enough to fire up the outdoor boiler, and it saves a lot of sacrifices to the evil propain gods. It's no longer exported from NZ to the states, but if you live where you can get one it's well worth it. Get the optional blower fan, we didn't and should have.

Kirk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby ktfergus » 2016-Oct-Fri-14-Oct

Nice, I'll have to try the kitty litter in my bins. I picked up "Sterilite" 32 quart bins a few months ago for my storage. With the rolls laid sideways, I can get about 7 or 8 in each bin. Earlier, before I had so many rolls, I used Ziploc gallon sized slider bags.

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Postby plexus » 2016-Oct-Fri-15-Oct

I am an avid canoeist/camper. I have a large dehydrator I use to prepare food for trips. It also works great to dehydrate filament! So if I know I am going to print something I will dehydrate the filament I am going to use at the time. This reduces my reliance on sealed containers and otherwise managing moisture. Although I still store the filament in a cabinet with a large amount of desiccant. I use calcium chloride, which as it absorbs water, turns into a solution. I have to re-crystalize the calcium chloride once it's all in solution. I don't print indiscriminately / just-for-fun anymore and only when I need to so it's easier for me to prepare the filament before I print. it takes around 4-6 hours in the dehydrator although it might take shorter, this is just what I usually do. I also store some often-used filament in the dehydrator for more immediate printing. No, I don't care about potential food contamination from the filament - I do not think it's that toxic frankly so don't bother ragging out on me about it. ;)

I think calcium chloride is one of the better desiccants. Here is an article:

http://www.absortech.jp/eng/downloads/w ... ca-eng.pdf

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Fri-15-Oct

We have a dehydrator that we use for apples, garden vegetables, etc that's just the right size for a spool of filament. My plan is to make a cardboard ring if I ever need it. Something else to do when Mrs. Moose isn't home.

I left the kitty litter on top of the woodstove for a couple hours where it reached 180F/83C, then set it aside to cool with a lid on it. Better get it back in the boxes since the wife is due home in an hour.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Material talk