Hatchbox Yellow PLA stained my Ubis hot end????

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby motorbikemikexb9 » 2016-Oct-Mon-13-Oct

OK. I've got a problem I''ve never had before. Can anyone please help point me in the right direction on resolving this.

I ran about a third of a spool of Hatchbox brand 1.75mm Yellow PLA through my Metal simple. Now I need to print a bunch of white parts and they keep coming out yellow.

I have been using Hatchbox PLA with great success for the past couple years (Im talking like 30+ rolls). I change colors often and have never had a problem with any of the colors "dyeing" my hot end. I often even make multi colored prints with no problem by pausing the print, raising the head then purging the hot end by feeding about 100 mm of the new color through it then clicking resume print. I usually get nice clear crisp color transitions.

I've been printing a fairly large "dummy" part just to run white filament through the hot end to clean it out. I'm about 4 hours in and the part is still very very yellow. I've cranked the hot end temp up to 240 to try to hopefully melt off any residual yellow inside but still just as yellow as when I began printing.

has anyone had this problem? how do I clean the yellow die residue out of the ubis hot end?

motorbikemikexb9
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hatchbox Yellow PLA stained my Ubis hot end????

Postby motorbikemikexb9 » 2016-Oct-Mon-13-Oct

Here is a picture of what I'm up against.

White in... Yellow out!

thats a lot of filiment run through the hot end with no signs of lightening up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motorbikemikexb9

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Mon-13-Oct

Are you sure that it's residual color, and not that you're overheating your PLA and changing it's color? Could you have received color changing PLA (not sure if there is such a thing, but color changing ABS is available and I have a spool around here somewhere). There's not enough dye in filament to color 4 hours worth of printing from some leftovers in the hot end; even straight masterbatch shouldn't do that. Try a different spool/color and use a more reasonable PLA temp. Many will print in the 180-190 range.

Remove your nozzle and run some filament through until it comes out clean. For extra-squeaky clean run a pipe cleaner or two up from the bottom and scrub it out. Do both with the hot end heat on, and watch the pipe cleaner. Some reportedly are made of polyester and might melt, although it's never happened to me.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re: Hatchbox Yellow PLA stained my Ubis hot end????no.

Postby motorbikemikexb9 » 2016-Oct-Tue-23-Oct

Nope its not color changing PLA. Im not toasting it to a different color either. The white part on the bed was printed from the same spool at 208c before i ran all the yellow parts. I tried a couple other white spools with the same yellowing problem. I dont get it. ?.?

motorbikemikexb9

Postby plexus » 2016-Oct-Wed-11-Oct

APRIL FOOLS!

oh. wait. its not april.... nevermind...

plexus
Site Admin

Postby musk » 2016-Oct-Wed-19-Oct

Try using black to douche it out. Does transparent PLA also colorize?

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Wed-20-Oct

Work got in the way of answering earlier (today was refusal day, nobody wanted to go with us even though somebody called 911, plus a non-3D printer related fire standby (keep an eye on your printer while use)), but I'd have to say that's exceedingly weird. The amount of plastic left in the hot end shouldn't be enough to have any noticeable effect. Even if the PEEK Ubis body did adsorb (absorb? never get those straight) some colorant it'd need to be a serious sponge to pick up that much yellow and somebody would have seen it before.

The only thing I can come up with is print away with either a color or a part where the yellow doesn't matter. It can't be an infinite sponge. Or maybe it's got an inter-dimensional link to the Twilight Zone - in which case you're going to be famous. Seriously, try the pipe cleaner wipeout and maybe one of those cleaning filaments if you have access to one. If you have some non-meltable light colored yarn (we're partial to wool, having raised sheep for 26 years) and pull it up and down through the heated (hopefully it'll work with it on the bot) hot end and see if that gets it out. Again, that's pretty strange. You could also try contacting Hatchbox (if that's actually possible) and discuss it with them. "Whoops, we accidentally shipped a batch of straight colorant" ???

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Material talk