Gluing Ninjaflex to Ninjaflex

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-May-Fri-09-May

Sometimes we can't print a complete object all in one go due to the limitations of 3D printing (unsupported overhangs, for example). So then we need to print sub-parts and glue them together. I'm working on a project right now using Ninjaflex (actually their "Semi-Flex"), and I needed to glue the parts together. Searching here and in Google, I didn't find any good candidates. The sources said that Ninjaflex has "low surface energy" and doesn't stick to much of anything. The only suggestion was Gorrila Glue, but I have read where it cures brittle and I needed something flexible.

So I just tried plain old 100% silicone sealant and it works great! It doesn't swell upon curing like Gorilla Glue, and it pretty much matches the flexibility of the Ninjaflex. It sticks more than well enough for my purposes.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Gluing Ninjaflex to Ninjaflex

Postby thawkins » 2016-May-Sat-08-May

RetireeJay wrote:Sometimes we can't print a complete object all in one go due to the limitations of 3D printing (unsupported overhangs, for example). So then we need to print sub-parts and glue them together. I'm working on a project right now using Ninjaflex (actually their "Semi-Flex"), and I needed to glue the parts together. Searching here and in Google, I didn't find any good candidates. The sources said that Ninjaflex has "low surface energy" and doesn't stick to much of anything. The only suggestion was Gorrila Glue, but I have read where it cures brittle and I needed something flexible.

So I just tried plain old 100% silicone sealant and it works great! It doesn't swell upon curing like Gorilla Glue, and it pretty much matches the flexibility of the Ninjaflex. It sticks more than well enough for my purposes.

Have you tried "contact adhesive" or "impact adhesive" , the stuff they use for gluing soles on shoes. You put it on both surfaces and leave it to dry, then you press the two together. It stays flexible. In the UK it's sold under the brand "evostick", I don't know what it's called in the US.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evo-Stik-Impac ... B0001P03RY

http://www.amazon.com/Evo-Stik-Impact-A ... t+adhesive

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98