ABS not Sticking to Supports

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby mark t » 2016-Mar-Mon-19-Mar

I have been printing with a Simple Metal for a few months now and have had great results with PLA. I bought some Hatchbox white ABS and have been having issues with the first and last layers sticking to either the supports or infill. I have tried the nominal settings and have adjusted temps and speeds in both directions. I have a heated kapton-covered standard bed with temp reading on the bed at about 95c taken by IR temp gun. The cooling fan is off through entire print(nominal setting).
There is no issues with getting first layer to stick to the bed, only on supports and top layer.
The only limited success I have had is by doing a grid pattern for supports and at about 75 percent fill which makes it almost impossible to separate the supports from the actual part.

Attached are images I have taken throughout a simple print of a .25" square below a larger square.

Is there something simple i am missing?

Thanks in advance of any advice,

Mark

20160305_104808_resized.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark t
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ABS not Sticking to Supports

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Mar-Mon-20-Mar

Even on your first layer, it looks like you are getting inconsistent extrusion: sometimes enough, other times not enough. There are gaps between traces and pieces of traces missing.
There can be several causes of inconsistent extrusion. Maybe your extrusion temperature is a little too low. Maybe you need more (or less) tension on the spring that pushes the filament into the drive gear (hobbed bolt or collar). Maybe the motor is not getting enough power. Maybe the filament itself is not consistent in its diameter. And so on.

Try raising the printhead above the bed by 30mm and using the "manual extrude" button on your user interface. Extruding 10 or 20mm, several times in a row, look for the actual amount extruded each time. If the motion isn't consistent, start exploring.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Material talk