polymax filament?

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

polymax filament?

Postby usagi » 2016-Jan-Thu-05-Jan

anyone used this polymax filament?

https://www.octave.com/3D-Printer-Filam ... index.html
https://www.octave.com/p1173433494/Poly ... _info.html

claims to be less brittle than pla and has better impact strength,and warps less.

usagi
Loading filament...

polymax filament?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: polymax filament?

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

Polymax is US$67/kg, compared to $21/kgs shipped (not sure what "selected products" means for Octave's free shipping) for, say HH3D's PLA. Kinda spendy for something that google only seems to find sellers for, so it's not talked about much. T-Glase is about the same price, and you can get it from Pxt when he returns from the fishing trip. If you can't wait there's other sources including Amazon (Octave has it listed on there, but their picture isn't t-glase). RJ pretty much exclusively uses t-glase, and it works well on my bot.

Taulman Bridge (nylon) and PCTPE ("highly flexible nylon", got a spool here waiting for me to try) both have good reputations for strength and impact resistance.

PLA's pretty tough stuff; I've been using the metal cutting band saw to recover some bearings out of a design mistake printed with mystery brand PLA. It holds up pretty well to being beaten on with a hammer, so unless you're printing something like a stamp mill you may find that a decent brand of PLA will work fine for you.

I've got some Octave ABS; it works OK but nothing exceptional, perhaps slightly more prone to curl than some, but that's only based on a couple spools. No idea how that might relate to Polymax.

If you decide to apply the mastercard test to it (that's whip out the mastercard and buy some) please let us know how it works out. Perhaps even a comparison of how PLA and Polymax do when meeting Mr. Sledgehammer.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby JonS » 2016-Jan-Fri-23-Jan

I have used Polymax. I was a backer for their Kickstarter campaign.

I've used very little. A few test prints. But then I had a hook for a shower caddy where my original PLA one broke. I reprinted it in Polymax and it hasn't broken so far (but then the PLA one lasted quite a while, maybe until the caddy got overloaded).

Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby usagi » 2016-Feb-Wed-14-Feb

been playing with some polymax PLA for a while.

hatchbox is pretty good cheap PLA. polymax is better, but only just. or I guess I have my printrbot really dialed in well :)

the big difference seems to be that polymax doesn't ooze, at all. no stringing, and less blobbing.

I haven't compared mechanical strength yet.

so it's better, but not better enough for me to justify the price premium over hatchbox.

usagi
Loading filament...

Postby JonS » 2016-Feb-Thu-01-Feb

usagi wrote:so it's better, but not better enough for me to justify the price premium over hatchbox.

Not even even Polymaker has suggested that people should buy Polymax as a direct replacement for normal PLA if strength is not an issue. In the Kickstarter campaign they talked about Polymax PLA being intended for functional parts with higher strength than ABS, but with all the advantages of PLA.

be849a0657965afa40542bca4c4191c8_original.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Metal Plus with:

- Dual Ubis 13S metal hot ends (swapped for original Ubis metals)
- Dual Gear Head extruders
- Heated bed
- PEI print bed film

Printrbot Jr (put out to pasture).
JonS
ACME leadscrew

Postby usagi » 2016-Feb-Sat-09-Feb

i just got a spool of PETG. i'll do a stress test of PLA, Polymax, PLA/PHA and PETG.

usagi
Loading filament...

Return to Material talk