Stainless Steel or other metal PLA filament

Talk about materials used in 3D printing

Postby Radioman1017 » 2015-Dec-Wed-12-Dec

Who has used any of these metal filaments and which work with the Printrbots? (I have a Simple Metal and Metal Plus.)

Mark

Radioman1017
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Stainless Steel or other metal PLA filament

Postby ktfergus » 2015-Dec-Wed-17-Dec

Hey Mark,

I haven't tried any of the metal infused filaments yet; I'm worried they might cause too much wear on the nozzle/hotend. However, I have tried Proto Pasta's "Conductive PLA" (which may cause extra wear as well, who knows? But I needed to use it for a stylus design). It works well with with my Simple Metal. I followed the recommendations & cranked up the print temp to 230C (basically treated it like ABS). Layer adhesion isn't the best, even with the higher temp, so I wouldn't use it for anything that's going to see a ton of stress. The only other downside is the fact that when you switch to a different filament, black residue remains in the hotend & discolors the new filament for at least the next 30 minutes of print time (even after using a cleaning filament).

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experimented with metal filaments, as well. They sound promising, I just don't want my Simple to be the guinea pig.

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Return to Material talk