Quadcopter

Quadcopter

Postby Corey Warren » 2015-Apr-Tue-17-Apr

So, now that I'm done modifying and tweaking my 3d printers for a bit I'd like to start to dive into something that I originally bought the 3d printer for. Building my own quadcopter. Has any Printrbot Talk Forum users built one?

I'm thinking it might be smart to do what I did with my printers. Buy a kit, put it together and upgrade it.
There are so many choices and I'm such a novice I'm not sure what to look for. It has to have the ability to mount a camera.

Can anyone here recommend a kit or a build?

Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...

Quadcopter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Quadcopter

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Apr-Tue-20-Apr

Search the forum for Mochaboy, he's a ardent quadcopterer, and has a blog about them.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby msizemore » 2015-Apr-Tue-21-Apr

My friend Jim at our makerspace (The MakerHive) designed, printed and built his own quad a few months ago. It's a pretty nice build and it flies well, although I think his latest iteration doubled up the arms for increased rigidity. He had it at the Midwest Rep Rap Festival last month next to my simple metal, most people assumed I had built it (I wish)... I'll ask him if he can post up the design files.
Jims_Quad.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Simple Metal with Heated Bed, E3D v6, and Bowden Air
msizemore
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby KDog » 2015-Apr-Tue-23-Apr

There are so many designs available on youmagine and thingiverse. The nice thing about printing them is that if you aren't happy with one, print another. Haven't printed one myself yet but have been considering it. Good luck!

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby IB3D » 2015-Apr-Wed-03-Apr

msizemore wrote:My friend Jim at our makerspace (The MakerHive) designed, printed and built his own quad a few months ago. It's a pretty nice build and it flies well, although I think his latest iteration doubled up the arms for increased rigidity. He had it at the Midwest Rep Rap Festival last month next to my simple metal, most people assumed I had built it (I wish)... I'll ask him if he can post up the design files.

Did you also have a Form & Matter scanner set up next to your printer? If that was you, I had hoped to gain insight on your opinion of the scanner; but was unable to locate you during my short visit.

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby msizemore » 2015-Apr-Wed-09-Apr

IB3D wrote:Did you also have a Form & Matter scanner set up next to your printer?

No, I was with the MakerHive group of tables right across the aisle from Hackaday and Ben Heck. We had a bunch of Delta bots but myself and 2 other guys had some Printrbots and another cartesian machine. There were a couple interesting scanners there but I didn't check them out unfortunately.

msizemore

Postby msizemore » 2015-May-Fri-13-May

Sorry to leave you hanging for a little while. Jim just posted up the files for his quad on wevolver.com. I've seen it fly several times now and it's amazingly smooth and fast. He was able to mount a camera to it though I'm not sure if the camera mount is a fully fleshed out design or if he is still iterating on it.

https://www.wevolver.com/jim.spencer/3d ... quadcopter

msizemore

Return to Off topic talk