Tax return

Tax return

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Sat-03-Jan

This is a rant, not sure if it will generate discussion?

As some of you know I was hoping to get my first printer in the next few weeks. Alas I am afraid to say it will not be. Our tax return was off by $800 and has crippled my plans of getting the metal plus. Some how I dont think I can do it with $250, lol. No the wife wont let me steal money that is destined for other parts of our lives to get what I feel I need.

I did have fleeting thoughts of the Metal Simple, yet most of my projects I have really need the 10" cubed volume. The other problem is we have enquiring cats. So I definately will have to create a enclosure to keep them from trying to play tag with moving parts. big grin.

On another thought. Can anyone tell me what kind of interface comes up if I were to get the LCD accessory for the printer? IE dose it have a pause? I am sure it must have a way to speed up the print if necessary.

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy
Waiting for extruder temp...

Tax return

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Tax return

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Sat-04-Jan

Willy wrote:This is a rant, not sure if it will generate discussion?

As some of you know I was hoping to get my first printer in the next few weeks. Alas I am afraid to say it will not be. Our tax return was off by $800 and has crippled my plans of getting the metal plus. Some how I dont think I can do it with $250, lol. No the wife wont let me steal money that is destined for other parts of our lives to get what I feel I need.

I did have fleeting thoughts of the Metal Simple, yet most of my projects I have really need the 10" cubed volume. The other problem is we have enquiring cats. So I definately will have to create a enclosure to keep them from trying to play tag with moving parts. big grin.

On another thought. Can anyone tell me what kind of interface comes up if I were to get the LCD accessory for the printer? IE dose it have a pause? I am sure it must have a way to speed up the print if necessary.

$250 for a 10" cubes build volume? Error: does not compute!

Maybe buy a wood simple and grow it over time, you learn a lot that way too.

Taxes suck, nuff said.

As for the cats, mine was afraid of the printer for a while but has been poking around it more and more now. Once they touch that hot end it'll learn to stay away from the noisy hot thing!

There isn't an interface to pause, but changing the speed is really easy, just turn the knob up and down. I've attached some photos of the interface of a controller for another printer, but its the same as the one on my Printrbot (using a Panelolu2 display)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Sat-09-Jan

Yeah that $250 equals some bad math I know. For now, all I can do is drool at the possibilities with the stuff found on thingiverse.

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Sat-12-Jan

A tax refund just means you gave the taxing authority a free no-interest loan. Look into automatic transfers to savings, and while interest rates are in the dumper these days they'll come back, and you don't need to wait until tax season to get to it, although it takes some disipline. The Taxman already takes enough...

To echo OFB, for $250 you'll get something like a QU-BD One UP, small, slow, unreliable, and limited. Another alternative would be to find a design you like and purchase the parts a batch at a time at amounts within your budget. Pick something expandable so you can build something that works and upgrade as you can. While you think you need 10x10x10 you'll find that anything that big is going to be slow (days sometimes), expensive to print, and it'll fail about 20 minutes before it's done. Start small, build up your skills, and work up to the big stuff. You can always print smaller parts and fasten them together.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Sat-14-Jan

The 250 is going into savings and I wont get anything yet. Just bide my time until I can earn enough to get what I want. I should have said that in post one, my bad.

Willy

Return to Off topic talk