I need to get two cameras wired up to be monitored remotely

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-21-Jan

Hello!

I have been tasked by someone to create some sort of two camera system that can be accessed wirelessly. It also needs to be extremely cheap, there will be thousands per order (they go in conjunction with a companies product) so they can't have interference or anything like that.

The requirements:
Cheap
Camera must be really really small, it can't get in the way
And the final requirement is that it would have to withstand temperatures up to 200C

My original thought was to do a Raspberry Pi with a couple camera modules, but the price and limited availability made that idea go away quickly. I then looked into Arduino based setups, but they can't use two cameras due to the low power processor.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been struggling for weeks with this and you makers know a lot. I only need to make the idea and one prototype, that's it. I won't be producing the items, just helping out a friend!

Thanks!

Matt

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I need to get two cameras wired up to be monitored remot

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Thu-22-Jan

orangefurball wrote:Hello!

I have been tasked by someone to create some sort of two camera system that can be accessed wirelessly. It also needs to be extremely cheap, there will be thousands per order (they go in conjunction with a companies product) so they can't have interference or anything like that.

The requirements:
Cheap
And the final requirement is that it would have to withstand temperatures up to 200C

My original thought was to do a Raspberry Pi with a couple camera modules, but the price and limited availability made that idea go away quickly. I then looked into Arduino based setups, but they can't use two cameras due to the low power processor.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been struggling for weeks with this and you makers know a lot. I only need to make the idea and one prototype, that's it. I won't be producing the items, just helping out a friend!

Thanks!

Matt

http://www.dx.com/p/jtron-ov7670-300kp- ... Lh_LiiwrMI

Look at something like that, its relativly low resolution, about 300k pixels (vga 640x400) , uses i2c protocol to talk to the host so you can have multiple cameras connected. If you hook up a pi and two of these and a bit of code it should work.

You did not say if you need both cameras active at the same time.

The $9 is retail one off, if you go straight to the manufacturer you should be able to cut that considerably. The Pi has a load of i2c host support.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-22-Jan

thawkins wrote:
orangefurball wrote:Hello!

The requirements:
Cheap

Thanks!

Matt

http://www.dx.com/p/jtron-ov7670-300kp- ... Lh_LiiwrMI

Look at something like that, its relativly low resolution, about 300k pixels (vga 640x400) , uses i2c protocol to talk to the host so you can have multiple cameras connected. If you hook up a pi and two of these and a bit of code it should work.

You did not say if you need both cameras active at the same time.

The $9 is retail one off, if you go straight to the manufacturer you should be able to cut that considerably. The Pi has a load of i2c host support.

I should have been more specific, they are for maintenance purposes (not sure how much detail I can go into) and must be used at the same time.

That would be perfect if I could use two at once, but their operational temperature is 70C max, the size is perfect though.

I'm starting to think that this is impossible!

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Fri-02-Jan

http://www.ipcameramodule.com

I would suggest pushing an mail off to those guys, they will probaly either have what you want, or know where to get it.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Fri-09-Jan

That temperature requirement is a real killer. Most consumer electronics is only rated to 85C or so; military gear goes up to 125C. Beyond that, it's in the realm of extreme specialization.

But exactly what do you mean "withstand"? I have a friend who puts consumer-grade electronic parts into specialized equipment that get exposed briefly to very high temperatures... but the case surrounding the electronics absorbs enough heat so that the stuff inside doesn't get fried. Also, the stuff is not required to WORK at high temperatures, just to survive the exposure and return to working condition when temperatures get more normal again.

Can you use a fiber-optic bundle to pick up the image at the hot location and convey it to a cooler place where you can scan it?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Off topic talk