Robo 3D vs PB+

Robo 3D vs PB+

Postby 508Parkour » 2014-Feb-Sat-11-Feb

What's better in terms of:
Experimentation - I want to be able to tinker with my machine; i.e add an LCD or change the hot end
Surface Finish - bare surface finish
Tech Support - How bad is it if it breaks?
Reliability - Can I depend on this?
Dual Extruders - In the future?\
Different Plastics - Laywood, PC, Taulman Nylon
Other features - I heard Robo is getting Lights in their new Robo

Anybody have experience with both?

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Robo 3D vs PB+

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Robo 3D vs PB+

Postby KDog » 2014-Feb-Sat-13-Feb

If you really want to tinker then there really isn't a comparison. The PB+ is supported by a large community of makers. All the tweaks you mention have already been implemented by that community and others are being discussed and worked on all the time. I don't know much about the Robo but that even makes the comparison clearer doesn't it?

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Feb-Sat-17-Feb

The word "better" is a hot button for some folks in the 3D printer community. I try to think in terms of suitability for my requirements. But I digress...

My knowledge of the Robo 3D is based strictly on YouTube videos. Nice looking printer.

But take the casing off and it looks suspiciously like a Printrbot+. Coincidence?

If there's another 3D printer (home version) out there with more responsive company support, a more dynamic user base, or a superior capability of expansion and modification I'd sure like to know about it. I've printed with layer heights from 50-700 microns. Not many printers can do that.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby 508Parkour » 2014-Feb-Sat-19-Feb

In terms of surface finish does anyone have any idea?

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby 508Parkour » 2014-Feb-Sat-19-Feb

Also, can you expand the build volume on either?

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Feb-Sun-11-Feb

Ya I noticed that when the case is off it does look at lot like the first gen printrbot. I thought it was just me but, I guess others see it also.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby pomonabill221 » 2014-Apr-Mon-13-Apr

My input...
When I was trying to decide on a printer, I did ALOT of reading about 4 different printers all within $1k price range.
In particular, I went to their forums and saw how many bad/complaints there were, how many members were on the forums, tried to get an idea of how responsive their customer support was, "modifyablitiy" of the printer, and how many were actually modifying their printers.

Overall, Printrbot had the best overall "feel" from all my criteria and at the time, the PB+ LC was a kit (first version), and that REALLY intrigued me as I think I get the best feel of how something is built by building it myself.
Yes, the instructions were a little sparce, there were a few errors, but if you have some creativity you can pretty much figure things out.

Also, Brook was VERY responsive to replace something if it didn't work. My fan (yes it is a cheepy), had bad bearings and wouldn't run at the slower speeds and was making noises. I emailed support and they sent me a new fan (slightly different and better) and it was mounted on the fan mounting plate as well! Great support!

I had a blast putting the printer together, and in the end got the feeling... "this is MY printer!".
I have since done a ton of mods but have yet to really print anything!!! That is what you get when "modify" is your middle name I guess!

This forum/community has been an excellent source of info and ideas, and most of the members are more than willing to help if you have a problem, and offer their time.

I do not regret buying my printer at all, and really look forward to actually PRINTING SOMETHING! (yes this is a jab at me!)

PBplus V2 kit.
* Modded power supply (my own)
* heavier power cable (#12) and connector (Cinch-Jones 2 pin) as 4 pin ATX was getting hot!
* extruder and heated bed indicators on bot.. I like to know
* cable dressing using ideas from other members and my own
* machined Z axis couplers.. my own design
* filament guide tubing (drip sprinkler tubing).. keeps filament from possible tangling
* flat washers under ALL screw heads.. spreads out force over wood
* Al machined printbed, opto limit switches on ALL axis, Acme Z lead screws
* Highly modified printbed/stiffened
* Dual Z axis limit switches (selectable) for glass or aluminum bed
* Illuminated extruder with 2 white leds
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
* RAMPS board with graphic display
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby DJNOS1978 » 2014-Apr-Tue-11-Apr

Choosing a printer depends on your need, ability, wants, experience. You can get a tinker machine (printrbot). You can get a toy (very cheap machines out there...look at kickstarter right now). You can get a production machine ( all I will say about that). It all depends on how much you want to get involved with using the machine vs repairing/modifying the machine as well.

DJNOS1978
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Return to Off topic talk