Printrboard driving a CNC

Postby etxbkst » 2013-Sep-Sat-20-Sep

Has anyone had experience using a Printrboard as the controller for a CNC mill? I have a Shapeoko, and I am currently using a Chinese controller (TB6560). I'd like to use the machine as a 3D printer as well, and I figured that the Printrboard could be an excellent way to do that.

etxbkst
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Sep-Sat-21-Sep

Google lincomatic's grbl port for the printrboard, that should be what you want.

Good luck! Rumor has it an engineer weeps every time somebody buys one of those TB6560 boards, at least that's what they say on cnczone.

How do you like your shapeoko? What do you use for a spindle? I've had some email correspondence with Edward Ford, but never pulled the trigger. Nice he turned it into a full time job.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re:

Postby etxbkst » 2013-Sep-Sat-22-Sep

Mooselake wrote:Google lincomatic's grbl port for the printrboard, that should be what you want.

Good luck! Rumor has it an engineer weeps every time somebody buys one of those TB6560 boards, at least that's what they say on cnczone.

How do you like your shapeoko? What do you use for a spindle? I've had some email correspondence with Edward Ford, but never pulled the trigger. Nice he turned it into a full time job.

Kirk

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try. I have actually had good luck with the TB6560, but I decided I am tired of being tied to a computer with a proper parallel port.

As for the Shapeoko, I love it. I am about finished upgrading it to 900mm x 900mm with dual Y motors and doubled X-axis. I had been using a Black & Decker RTX rotary tool for my spindle, but I am weighing going to either the DeWalt DW660, which is a dry wall cut-out tool, or a palm sized router like the DeWalt DWP611 or the Ridgid palm router so I can cut aluminum. One of my first projects once everything is calibrated properly is to mill an aluminum Printrbot Plus.

etxbkst
Waiting for extruder temp...

Re: Re:

Postby Palerob » 2014-Apr-Sat-20-Apr

etxbkst wrote:
Mooselake wrote:Google lincomatic's grbl port for the printrboard, that should be what you want.

Kirk

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try. I have actually had good luck with the TB6560, but I decided I am tired of being tied to a computer with a proper parallel port.

As for the Shapeoko, I love it. I am about finished upgrading it to 900mm x 900mm with dual Y motors and doubled X-axis. I had been using a Black & Decker RTX rotary tool for my spindle, but I am weighing going to either the DeWalt DW660, which is a dry wall cut-out tool, or a palm sized router like the DeWalt DWP611 or the Ridgid palm router so I can cut aluminum. One of my first projects once everything is calibrated properly is to mill an aluminum Printrbot Plus.

etxbkst,
Were you able to get the PrintrBoard working with your CNC? I am thinking of building a Cyclone CNC and it I can use a PrintrBoard that saves me tons of time and money. :)

Thanks
Rob

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Simple is not just a tool, it is an addiction. ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Simple W/ XL+Tower Upgrade
MODS: Jon's GT2 X and Y Belt mods, soon to have the Y extender and X Depth extender.

Also: 2014 Black Metal Simple (Technically the wife's but you know...)
Palerob
Levelling print bed...

Re: Printrboard driving a CNC

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Apr-Sat-22-Apr

I would be interested to hear if anyone has gotten grbl to work well with a printrboard as im building a printer strong enough to run a mill. Heres where im at with the build.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby greenb » 2014-Apr-Mon-00-Apr

speaking of cnc projects, I plan to build this someday.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49484

here is the RepRap wiki if anybody is interested ;) http://reprap.org/wiki/Cyclone_PCB_Factory

They use Sanguinololu with Marlin firmware, this is fairly similar to the printrboard so this projects could work. There community is like ours, they strive to design the best possible machine and help others. It would be worth it to poke around and see what they favor for electronics.

EDIT: this version of the cyclone is more robust. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:238329
Here is a video of it milling acrylic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5_7IKoARFU

Printrbot Simple born 4/19/2014
Printrbot Simple Z axis stabilizer, thing:313129, 5/9/2014
Maker’s Upgrade Kit 6/21/2014
greenb
Solid infill...

Postby Palerob » 2014-Apr-Tue-07-Apr

greenb,
Those two are in my CNC collection on Thingiverse now, and I have downloaded all the files from Github. I am just waiting to find the time to work on the projects I keep coming up with.

But good find!

Thanks
Rob

A Simple is not just a tool, it is an addiction. ;)
2014 Simple W/ XL+Tower Upgrade
MODS: Jon's GT2 X and Y Belt mods, soon to have the Y extender and X Depth extender.

Also: 2014 Black Metal Simple (Technically the wife's but you know...)
Palerob
Levelling print bed...

Return to Off topic talk