Android phone can't install app - Insufficient Memory

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Dec-Thu-17-Dec

Hey, if any of you have Android phones (especially ones on AT&T) and you have difficulty installing or updating apps because you get an "Insufficient Memory" error - there is hope!

First, install App Cache Cleaner from the Play store. It's small and should fit in easily. When you run it, it will clear all the cache memory - which does absolutely no harm to anything in your phone. There's a number in the upper right of the screen showing how much memory will be freed up. After you click "clear all" then wait until that number changes to zero; then exit the app.

But this may not be enough. Besides using App Cache Cleaner, you should try to delete some apps that you do not use. But how? Go into "Settings" and "Apps" and "Uninstall" ones you don't need any more. But there's more to the story. Apparently Google and/or AT&T "push" some apps onto your phone after you bought it. So a phone that initially had space for the apps you want eventually gets so bloated with pushware that you can't even update apps you use every day. And when you go into Settings - Apps and look at the rogue apps that you never asked for, (Like Google Movies for example) you don't see the usual "Uninstall" button. Instead, it says "Uninstall updates." And when you click on "Uninstall Updates" it tells you that the updates will be uninstalled and the "factory version" will remain. But here's the good news: there is no "factory version!" So when you uninstall updates to the pushware, you actually get rid of them. Free at last, free at last; praise God, my phone has free memory at last!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Android phone can't install app - Insufficient Memory

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Dec-Sat-17-Dec

Does your phone support an SD card? I ordered a Moto X Pure with the smallest onboard memory size, and added a 64GB microSD card to it. I used a SanDisk Extreme, but a recent flash card review said the Samsung EVO+ is faster (at least in the RPI they used to test with, will probably get one when I get around to ordering an RPI 2 for a UniFi controller). If/when your phone gets Marshmallow (wait for the smore jokes...) it'll make even better use of it.

KIrk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Dec-Sat-17-Dec

It doesn't matter how much memory you have, because Android is based on Linux, and it partitions memory for specific uses. ALL the Apps get shoved into one partition which is only about 1 gig. I did add an extra SD card a while back and it didn't make any difference to the "Insufficient Memory" problem.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Dec-Sat-18-Dec

In Lolliplop, my boy Lolliplop go to settings, storage, and scroll down to the SD card section and click the Move Media button.

Then go up a level to Apps (you can use sort by size under settings), then select them one at a time and use the "Move to SD Card" button if it'll work for that app. Some will move, some (mostly system apps and crapware) won't. FacePalmBook was the biggest app on my device, and it moved without any problems. I've moved around a GB of apps to the SD card and don't notice any difference in startup speed. YMMV, particularly if you're flash is slow.

Still waiting for the Smore version, if the soak test goes well it might be showing up this week, assuming the combination of Verizon and MotoMaker doesn't cause trouble.

I've been using App Cache Cleaner since my Nexus 7 2012, besides doing a nice job of cleaning using it'll will remind you that Android really needs a good ad blocker. Also try googling how to clear the system cache on your device, it'll pick up a bit of flash speed. Just be careful to clear the cache and not the whole device.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Dec-Sat-19-Dec

My phone is three generations behind Lollipop; it's on Ice Cream Sandwich... and that was an upgrade from the original Gingerbread. There's no way I'm going to try to root my phone and install a newer version of Android on my own.

I've moved any number of apps to the SD card, but it never made any difference to the Insufficient Memory error. The only result was that the icons for the apps reverted to generic black-and-white boxes, and sometimes the apps got completely lost. In other words, harm, not good came of it.

I stand behind my prescription: delete the apps you didn't ask for and never use. Plow on through the specious warnings that you can't really delete them, and that uninstalling updates will revert to "factory version."

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby dwarak17 » 2016-Mar-Fri-01-Mar

I simply deleted the data of all the apps that did not require me to login and that worked fine for me! If you do delete an app that requires a login, all you would have to do is login to it again! I did this as well as delete all the cache.

dwarak17
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Mar-Fri-09-Mar

The ongoing demands of the 20 somethings that have anxiety attacks when more than three feet from their phones will mean that phones will require massive amounts of storage that exceed what the entire world used when Jay and I started.

You're carrier will force you into a new phone by saying yours is no longer supported (otherwise I'd still have my candy bar Nokia). Maybe it's time to upgrade - budget smartphone are getting better. I like my Moto X Pure.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Off topic talk