6v Lantern Battery adapter

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Sep-Mon-07-Sep

I have a idea in my head to redesign those big square 6v lantern battery adapters. I know the existing adapters use 4 D cell batteries. My idea is use 2 18650 batteries instead. The benefits are a weight reduction from 144g down to 45.5g or less. I want to be able to replace batteries should one go bad. My question is there anyone willing to collaborate with me in design and building of this proto type?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 6v Lantern Battery adapter

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Sep-Thu-12-Sep

I'm not quite sure exactly what you are aiming at.

Do you want to create a brick that replaces a 6V lantern battery, which could be used in its place? (That's my first guess, based on your info about batteries used "internally"). 6V lantern batteries have springs for the terminals - do you have a source for those springs?

Or do you want to create a holder for a standard 6V lantern battery, so you can power up devices of your own choosing?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: 6v Lantern Battery adapter

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Sep-Fri-05-Sep

Jay, Your assumption is correct. Yes I do have a source for the springs on top of the adapter. I simply want the weight reduction and a better battery than 4 D cells. I thought about buying a 4 D cell adapter and take it apart and modify it. Then come back and make a 3D print of the modifications. That would be a proto type.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Off topic talk