Look what you're missing

Look what you're missing

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-18-Jan

For all of you in the warm parts of the world, here's the kind of toys get to play with when it's below 0 Fahrenheit and the wind's blowing at 20mph. Bet you wish you were here!

0107151559.jpg

0107151611.jpg

0107151609b.jpg

That's a mid 60s 50HP Ford 900 (sheetmetal's off for repainting), a McKee 6+6 Econoplow (my Christmas present to myself in 1978, we had 400" of snow that winter) with wings to 8 foot that I built in a welding class later that winter.

0304140741a.jpg

From last winter, they haven't broken them out yet this year since they use graders and dumptrucks with plows until the banks get high.

Kirk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Look what you're missing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Look what you're missing

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jan-Wed-18-Jan

If only you could find a way to capture the accompanying - wind chill in your photography...

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Jan-Wed-19-Jan

No thanks. It's 75F here in Manhattan Beach.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby teicher » 2015-Jan-Wed-20-Jan

That fun is headed our way (NC). The wind started picking up this evening and tomorrows high is going to be around 28F. Supposed to get to upper teens overnight.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Wed-20-Jan

Wow, how long did it take to print that?

:-)

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Wed-20-Jan

After seeing the video of the 3D printed lawnmower I'll wait for a printer that prints cast iron.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Wed-21-Jan

It looks like that snowblower attached to your tractor is on the back end. Which means the tractor has to be moving backwards to use the blower. How do you do that? Face backwards and steer by using your antlers on the steering wheel?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Thu-00-Jan

RetireeJay wrote:It looks like that snowblower attached to your tractor is on the back end. Which means the tractor has to be moving backwards to use the blower. How do you do that? Face backwards and steer by using your antlers on the steering wheel?

Thats what happens when you get the y stepper motor plug reversed, you get a snow plough printed backwards.

I bet that just ontop of his dinning room table with lots of powdered sugar thrown around for effect.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-01-Jan

Mooselake wrote:After seeing the video of the 3D printed lawnmower I'll wait for a printer that prints cast iron.

Kirk

Steel is close enough, right?

http://www.proto-pasta.com/shop/stainle ... a-preorder

They also have magnetic iron too, while you are clearing the roads you can pick up lost change and jewelry to sell to the scrap yard, a win win!

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

orangefurball wrote:Steel is close enough, right?

They also have magnetic iron too, while you are clearing the roads you can pick up lost change and jewelry to sell to the scrap yard, a win win!

Unfortunately that's plastic with metal powder added. It'll (they say) polish up and look great, but would you want that between your flipflops (the original video poster was trying to loose some toes; a great business opportunity when you're a paramedic :) ) and a spinning blade that's throwing rocks and debris everywhere?

There's been some work with wire welders as extruders, something like a reverse plasma cutter, but the last time I checked (yes, there's an SP-140 wirewelder in the mooseshop) it still wasn't very practical.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

RetireeJay wrote:It looks like that snowblower attached to your tractor is on the back end. Which means the tractor has to be moving backwards to use the blower. How do you do that? Face backwards and steer by using your antlers on the steering wheel?

Good catch. Tractor power take offs are on the back, as are the 3 point hitches. You can get newer utility tractors with them on the front these days, but not in the 60s. Interesting factoid, tractors are rated by the power they deliver at the PTO on a dynometer, so that 50HP is the actual delivered power at the implement, from the 172 cubic inch displacement gas 4 cylinder that's a direct (and very close) descendant of the model T engine, including the valve in block flathead.

You sit in the normal forward facing seat, somewhat sideways; all the controls face that way, and frequent brake steering is needed (there's separate left and right brake pedals) since snow and ice don't give a lot of traction, and any unbalance in the snow level will turn the tractor towards the ditch (it's almost never away...). The original mooselake farm owners had a logging business and a bulldozer, so the driveway is raised up about 3', and it takes a while to get back up it). It's getting harder to look over my shoulder as the years go by; any replacement (like an L3901 with a heated cab, it's only around $40K) will probably have a front mounted blower. My other tractor is a 70+ hp IH756 (291 ci gas inline 6) has an over 10' high heated cab (and a real 8' blower), but it's parked waiting for a complete rewire and other work, still rear mounted blower. The shop only has a 9 1/2' high ceiling and a 9' high door, bought that tractor after building it.

No longer flexible enough to sit backwards and bend my neck enough to steer with the antlers.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-12-Jan

Mooselake wrote:
orangefurball wrote:Steel is close enough, right?

Unfortunately that's plastic with metal powder added. It'll (they say) polish up and look great, but would you want that between your flipflops (the original video poster was trying to loose some toes; a great business opportunity when you're a paramedic :) ) and a spinning blade that's throwing rocks and debris everywhere?

There's been some work with wire welders as extruders, something like a reverse plasma cutter, but the last time I checked (yes, there's an SP-140 wirewelder in the mooseshop) it still wasn't very practical.

Kirk

Yes I saw a man that flipped a delta printer over basically and strapped on a welder. Worked OK but I would catch myself on fire I bet!

My dad had to get some rapid prototyping done for parts at work and decided to use 3D printing for it, he brought home a metal piece (no clue where it was made) and that this was super strong. Low resolution, but pretty neat to hold a piece of 3D printed metal. It was FDM printed too!

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

It's not all overcast and gloomy here in the swamp. This is taken from my front (back? It's on the side towards the road, anyway) porch, or as Mrs. Moose calls it, her "Dream Porch". Taken a couple weeks ago.

IMG_2382.JPG

Kirk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mooselake
My next printer is...

First Smoke!

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

When not plowing snow here's where my spare time has gone for the last few months. No, not that kind of smoke...

First Smoke
IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

It's taken another day of debugging, pump kept airlocking, but it's now heating the Mooselake Manor. Now to replace the extension cord and other jury rigs with proper wiring, and fix that last remaining (very slow) leak, more work to interfere with the 3D printing :cry: .

The thermocouple thermometer I got after Plexus mentioned them (cheap version here...) has been very handy for debugging and doing some preliminary zone pump balancing. The boiler has a Taco (tay-co, not a tasty mexican treat) HEC-2 smart pump, aka a "Bumble Bee" (bright yellow, buzzes when running) that has a pair of temperature sensors, and varies the speed of the permanent magnet pump to keep a fixed temperature differential, 30 degrees F between the water going out and coming back here. According to it's display it was using 11W when I last checked, compared to 80W for the non-smart induction motor circulator pumps. Costs twice as much to buy, but it'll run continuously, and power here is over 25 cents US/KWH. There's a lot of discussion in the heating forums about whether the delta T or load measuring smart pumps are better, but in this application the pumping resistance is constant through several heat exchangers (water heater, heating system, basement shop heater) but the heat load varies depending on which zones are calling for heat (or how long the shower is running...) so delta T is better. I have a new Grundfos Alpha, the other kind of circ, on the moosecave zone so we'll see how this new generation works.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby subether » 2015-Jan-Sat-00-Jan

Nice!

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that fluffy white stuff down here in Arizona. ;) However, when it rains like today, the roads are a great big mess as people have no idea how to drive when water is falling from the sky... :D

subether
Levelling print bed...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Sat-03-Jan

subether wrote:Nice!

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that fluffy white stuff down here in Arizona. ;) However, when it rains like today, the roads are a great big mess as people have no idea how to drive when water is falling from the sky... :D

We live in the tropics, and my better half has never experienced below zero temperatures and never seen or touched snow. So im taking her to japan at the end of next month to visit with the snow monkeys.... should be an interesting experience, she will be somewhat less romantic about snow once she has been standing around in the stuff for a good few hours, and anything sticking out from your clothing has started to go numb. I had to march her out to a winter sportswear shop as her orginal idea of winter clothing consited of slightly thicker blouses, maybe wearing two tshirts instead of one and closed toe shoes instead of flipflops.

http://www.snowjapan.com/the-snow-monke ... ani-nagano

Meanwhile i get to have a wander around the tokyo electronics component market, one of the biggest in the world.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=toky ... d=0CE8Q7Ak

Note: that buying appliances in japan is a problem as they operate on 100vac ( not even 110). But a lot of stuff is universal now.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Snowbound » 2015-Jan-Sat-10-Jan

I got a new pair of hip joints earlier this week, so I'm unfortunately off snowblowing duty for the rest of the season. On the positive side, more time to play with my printer (once I'm able to go down the stairs)

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jan-Sat-14-Jan

Think I would have had someone move the printer up the stairs by now in your case Snowbound.

Well I'd better get back to that Dear Abby letter I was in the middle of; asking if it's unhealthy for a man to spend the better part of a weekend with his 3D printer. Right after I go check on a print.... :lol:

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Sat-18-Jan

I had the same problem with stairs after my knee replacement, I was basically stuck on the second floor for about 3 months after some complications.

The printer was moved upstairs before the surgery (just get somebody else to carry it for you), but between the drugs and passive motion machine it didn't get a lot of use for quite a while.

I hope your recovery is successful! Two at once means both sides are sore so there's no comfortable positions. Do what your PT says and don't cheat, and take the pain meds before exercising, and you should be doing great in no time. We have a Wii Fit, and it helped a lot improving my balance.

You should probably lay off on the Polka dancing for a few weeks, too.

KIrk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Snowbound » 2015-Feb-Sun-04-Feb

How's your knee doing now? I'm living on the main floor for the time being. I can do stairs with a railing so I can go to the bedrooms on the second floor but I've got a nice setup in the living room with a bed and recliner. The basement stairs don't have a railing so I'm not allowed to do that yet. I plan on using my time to get better at using the 3D design software but I haven't done anything yet, the drugs make me tired and the incisions are still healing so I'm mostly sleeping, reading and watching TV.

What really sucks is the big screen TV is in the basement and I'll be watching the Super Bowl on our small TV.

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Sun-18-Feb

The knee's doing OK, still aches all the time (18 months after the surgery, 16 after the follow up manipulation) and still have some balance and endurance issues. It's almost reached the perfect balance between usability and an excuse to permanently retire from my paramedic second career, so mostly no complaints.

Mrs. Moose got me a leather electric la-z-boy clone almost a year before the surgery; it pretty much became my home for several months. Fortunately it was in the room with the 55" big screen (plus the PS3 and original XBox). The month after the manipulation was spent in what looked like a mini-garage door opener that moved my knee up and down 22 hours a day. Really interfered with the IR remote for the Wii in the bedroom (the old no longer so big screen), the bad guys won a lot in CoD and Chicken Blaster.

The drugs really sucked, lots of oxy and morphine, destroyed any ambition to do anything. Couldn't wait to get off of them (no withdrawal symptoms even after around 3 months), really made me wonder what all the addicts I saw in my job got out of them.

Hopefully your incisions will heal quickly. Removing my staples was almost painless, the anticipation was worse than taking them out.

I took some 3D scans from the Life Science 3D database (femur, patella, tibia, fibula), massaged them a bit so they'd be printable, and uploaded them to TV. No pelvis, but at least you could print a femur to show people where you got some of the new parts.

Good Luck! Not too long from now it'll be a good story. PM or post with your progress.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Snowbound » 2015-Feb-Sun-20-Feb

That sounds like a tough recovery. I'm doing fine on pain, since the surgery they've just had me on tapentadol hydrochloride. Hips are much more successful that other joint replacements. From what I've read, hip replacement and cataract surgery are the two highest rated quality of life surgeries.

I checked out your bones files, that's cool.

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

I've heard that about hips, but bilateral sounds tough. If you don't mind answering, was it elective or were you injured?

I once picked up a 100 year old lady who lived alone at home, with a broken hip from tripping on a step. She told me the one she'd had repaired a couple years earlier wasn't so bad, and she figured she'd be back at home again before very long. It wasn't too bad as long as she didn't move... I don't think I'll ever be that tough. Hip fx recovery has gotten a lot better in the 15 years I've been in EMS. When I first started too many of them went to the nursing home and died, now it's almost gotten to the no big deal stage and the ones I've heard about afterwards (not many, thank you HIPPA) have almost all done fine.

I like(d) to get orders for as much pain meds as they'll give me before moving a hip fx patient and wait for it to take effect, there's just no way to do it without hurting.

Cold (-1.5F overnight). The OWB made it through, but down to a few coals. Need to get a better handle on how much wood it's going to eat (a lot, the chainsaw sharpener's going to get a lot more use). Turned the zone thermostats mostly up to 70 to 72, with 66 at night, a couple days ago - even the radiant floor all glass sunroom (that's where the 55" is) holds 70+ without a problem. Mrs. Moose commented last night that she didn't want to move south anymore, so it was worth all the time and trouble. Goodwill might get a stack of sweatshirts soon.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

Tapentadol is one I haven't seen before. Looks spendy, although Wikipedia says there's a savings plan card for it. They also say that starting this month it might require preapproval, so you should check with your insurance company.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Jdublu » 2015-Feb-Mon-15-Feb

I had my left hip done back in Feb. of last year. 2.5 days in hospital, went to a 60th birthday party on the way home. Back to work at the two week mark. Rode an Iron Butt Butt Burner ride at 8 weeks (1272 miles in 22 hours). Hips are easy, now knees, there's the bitch.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Snowbound » 2015-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

It was elective. I gave up skiing a couple of years ago and hockey last winter, the pain just got to be too much. I went to my family doctor 2 1/2 years ago and he diagnosed osteoarthritis. He said to give it about 10 years then I'd have to have them replaced. I gave it a year then went back and got a referral. I'm mid fifties and didn't want to spend the next 10 years on the couch. The surgeon said I could do them one at a time about six months apart. The recovery is easier, but you have to go through it twice doubling the recovery time. My biggest problem with the bilateral is I'm stuck sleeping on my back as I don't have a good side to sleep on.

I wasn't familiar with Tapentadol. I'm on a drug plan so the cost doesn't really matter. There was also a drug for nerve pain. I forget what it was called, I only took it for 3 days.

That sounds like a long ride so soon after the surgery. My plan is to be back on the ice next fall.

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

Is an Iron Butt Butt Burner anything close to a metal hotbed butt?

@jdublu: I was thinking gee, you're old. Then I realized that's younger than me :(

Trying green t-glase on gluestick/glass/silicone pastry mat. It's about 0.03mm higher in the center than the edges (was 0.00 with binder clips), but it looks like it's printing the first layer without any problems. Mrs. Moose wants a coaster for her nightstand, trying a Maayan coaster that I think came off TV (dang'; there's a lot of coasters there now) a couple years ago, but it's no longer there. It's a bit tricky to print with some small segments, so a good test. First print with slic3r 1.2.6 (1.2.5 crashed everytime I tried it), so a double test.

Stoked up the boiler, turned the aquastat down from 180 to 170F, still nice and warm in here.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-16-Feb

Mine was osteoarthritis, too. The other knee is good, so they think it was an injury, but all I can remember was wrenching it on a sharkfishing trip and then commuting on a bicycle for the next two weeks while toughing it out, sometime in the early 80s. Didn't catch anything, either.

Mine got bad enough I was falling everytime I stepped on something irregular; family forced me to go to the Dr. Only a tiny bit of cartilage left on one side. Tried cortisone and artificial joint goo shots, wore a brace for 6 months (took motorcycle safety wearing it; moose on a bike!), then decided I might as well get it over with. If they'd just let me continue to tough it out...

Can't see any shifting with the silicone pastry mat at layer 14. It was shaking pretty good with the hex infill, so this mat thing might be winner. Thanks, Tim!

KIrk

Edit: quite a lot of Y shifting higher up. Works OK for this print, but otherwise the mat didn't work. Acceleration must be too high for it.

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-19-Feb

Mooselake wrote:Mine was osteoarthritis, too. The other knee is good, so they think it was an injury, but all I can remember was wrenching it on a sharkfishing trip and then commuting on a bicycle for the next two weeks while toughing it out, sometime in the early 80s. Didn't catch anything, either.

Mine got bad enough I was falling everytime I stepped on something irregular; family forced me to go to the Dr. Only a tiny bit of cartilage left on one side. Tried cortisone and artificial joint goo shots, wore a brace for 6 months (took motorcycle safety wearing it; moose on a bike!), then decided I might as well get it over with. If they'd just let me continue to tough it out...

Can't see any shifting with the silicone pastry mat at layer 14. It was shaking pretty good with the hex infill, so this mat thing might be winner. Thanks, Tim!

KIrk

Edit: quite a lot of Y shifting higher up. Works OK for this print, but otherwise the mat didn't work. Acceleration must be too high for it.

Maybe the mat plus a couple binder clips? Mine didn't come in yet.

The only issue with the binder clips was that it slowly slides, but with the pastry mat it will take away the slipping while allowing the binder clips to keep everything tight.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-19-Feb

I was hoping to get away from the binder clips. I'll likely still need 4 so the glass doesn't distort, so if that's the case the only advantage is the concentric circles to help with alignment.

This was on top of the PCB; I'll revisit it when I disassemble everything and install the official PB cast aluminum bed and 3rd Kysan motor upgrade, but it's more fun to print than mod lately. The Chinese insert couplers have to go back, got the wrong ones. Ordered another set from another vendor, will see if they can get it right. Until then I'm thinking of printing some (maybe PCTPE?) to get the T8-8 rod update rolling, along with an adapter to use the flanged round brass nuts to go with them.

Kirk

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Mon-19-Feb

orangefurball wrote:
Mooselake wrote:Mine was osteoarthritis, too. The other knee is good, so they think it was an injury, but all I can remember was wrenching it on a sharkfishing trip and then commuting on a bicycle for the next two weeks while toughing it out, sometime in the early 80s. Didn't catch anything, either.

KIrk

Maybe the mat plus a couple binder clips? Mine didn't come in yet.

The only issue with the binder clips was that it slowly slides, but with the pastry mat it will take away the slipping while allowing the binder clips to keep everything tight.

There are two sides to the mat, one side is verý smooth, the other side is matt. I found that if you put the matt side down, and stretch the rubber length wise so that it wraps around the edge of the bed, and can be fixed by traping with the bed mount screws, then the exposed shiny side is very effective.

You also need to keep it very clean, dust etc will make the adhesion fail.

I tried fixing down the matt side with 468mp tape, which works well too, but slowly looses adhesion after about 2 weeks. I suspect folks sticking down their PEI will have the same problem.

One last thing i am trying this weekend is to use a very thin layer of silicone rubber RTV gasket sealant, to stick the matt side down to the bed, if that works it will simulate having two shiny sides, and im hoping the sealant will stick well to the bed.

If i can improve the adhesion of the matt side to the bed then the shiny side will stick like glue to the glass.

That was one issue i had, was that sometimes i had real problems lifting the bed off, as the adhesion was too good, which probaly did the 486mp tape fix no good as i was appling verticle stress to the joint. I eventualy discovered you have to slide a thin metal layer like a spatular knife between the glass and the rubber matt to break the air seal, its very simple then, just slide that across the bed under the glass and it will come away easily with no force needed.

My aluminium bed is quite rough which may explain the different experience, giving the matt side somthing to grip against. I also dont print at high speeds, 60mm/s with faily modest acceleration.

I put some edge profiles on my bed too to guide placement of the bed, after i had one case where i was not watching carefully and managed to put the glass down without checking its position and crucialy ended up effectivly shortening my bed by 20mm. The edge profiles dont grip the glass, they just create an easy to feel recess To make sure its roughly in position.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Mon-20-Feb

The RTV gasket glue seems to work, the matt side seems to stick very well to the aluminum.

I was able to hold a 6x9 inch peice of glass up at 60 degrees tilt, with just that little sample. I have a high temp version of the RTV sealant, which i will try next, and it probaly could do with curing a bit longer.

The full high temp trial will have to wait until this week end.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-22-Feb

thawkins wrote:The RTV gasket glue seems to work, the matt side seems to stick very well to the aluminum.

I was able to hold a 6x9 inch peice of glass up at 60 degrees tilt, with just that little sample. I have a high temp version of the RTV sealant, which i will try next, and it probaly could do with curing a bit longer.

So by gluing this directly to the PCB heatbed the glass will just grip right to it?

This seems very interesting, a more permanent solution is better to me.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Mon-22-Feb

orangefurball wrote:
thawkins wrote:The RTV gasket glue seems to work, the matt side seems to stick very well to the aluminum.

I was able to hold a 6x9 inch piece of glass up at 60 degrees tilt, with just that little sample. I have a high temp version of the RTV sealant, which i will try next, and it probably could do with curing a bit longer.

So by gluing this directly to the PCB heat-bed the glass will just grip right to it?

That would probably work well too, i'm going to test it this week end using the high-temp RTV gasket seal, designed for engine block gaskets etc, which should not have any problems with 150c heat-beds.

my one big concern is bubbling of the gasket-seal as it cures under the rubber, and making it go on nice and flat. If that proves to be a problem, i will try The Silicone Rubber RTV generates acetic acid gas whilst it is curing, IE it stinks of vinegar.

you could cut a small hole in the mat about where the thermistor is, so it is pressed up against the glass, and is effectively embedded in the silicon rubber mat.

a) a ink roller to get it initially flat, and then curing it under pressure, IE put the glass on, and then put a pile of books on-top of it, leave it for 24 hours
b) cut it into 1 inch strips, and glue those down with a 1/16th gap between each. that would give the gas generated by curing etc somewhere to exit. And would make remedial work on an individual strip easier.

Fortunately the mats are so big there is plenty of material to experiment.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-23-Feb

thawkins wrote:
orangefurball wrote:

I was able to hold a 6x9 inch piece of glass up at 60 degrees tilt, with just that little sample. I have a high temp version of the RTV sealant, which i will try next, and it probably could do with curing a bit longer.

So by gluing this directly to the PCB heat-bed the glass will just grip right to it?

That would probably work well too, i'm going to test it this week end using the high-temp RTV gasket seal, designed for engine block gaskets etc, which should not have any problems with 150c heat-beds.

my one big concern is bubbling of the gasket-seal as it cures under the rubber, and making it go on nice and flat. If that proves to be a problem, i will try The Silicone Rubber RTV generates acetic acid gas whilst it is curing, IE it stinks of vinegar.

you could cut a small hole in the mat about where the thermistor is, so it is pressed up against the glass, and is effectively embedded in the silicon rubber mat.

a) a ink roller to get it initially flat, and then curing it under pressure, IE put the glass on, and then put a pile of books on-top of it, leave it for 24 hours
b) cut it into 1 inch strips, and glue those down with a 1/16th gap between each. that would give the gas generated by curing etc somewhere to exit. And would make remedial work on an individual strip easier.

Fortunately the mats are so big there is plenty of material to experiment.

Here's a thought, if that RTV adhesive is silicone, wouldn't a thin layer of that work for holding the glass to the surface? If not I think option 2 is better, seems like the easier method.

As for cutting a hole in the silicone, my head bed doesn't have a hole in the middle, I have one with a hole in the middle but the one without is made of aluminum while the other is just a PCB. The aluminum one is a bit more rigid, although having to keep the thermistor under the pad between my foam insulation the heatbed itself makes the glass temperature about 10C cooler than the thermistor reading. Something I plan to tackle another day, I may just throw the PCB heatbed on top of the aluminum one. Maybe even hook them both up to my 30A relay (if that's safe!) To make heating even faster.

Thingybot Delta Printer

orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Tue-08-Feb

Good thing I got 3. I wonder if a good cleaning might help the matte side, or maybe blue tape to hold it on, use some of the leftover tape.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Tue-10-Feb

orangefurball wrote:
Here's a thought, if that RTV adhesive is silicone, wouldn't a thin layer of that work for holding the glass to the surface? If not I think option 2 is better, seems like the easier method.

As for cutting a hole in the silicone, my head bed doesn't have a hole in the middle, I have one with a hole in the middle but the one without is made of aluminum while the other is just a PCB. The aluminum one is a bit more rigid, although having to keep the thermistor under the pad between my foam insulation the heat-bed itself makes the glass temperature about 10C cooler than the thermistor reading. Something I plan to tackle another day, I may just throw the PCB heat-bed on top of the aluminum one. Maybe even hook them both up to my 30A relay (if that's safe!) To make heating even faster.

I'm using the mat so that I get a removable but firmly gripped surface, but you may be right, perhaps just gluing the glass on and then when it has cured pulling away the glass to leave a perfectly smooth bonded layer of rubber on the top of the aluminium.If you put a deep crisscross score pattern on the aluminium first I bet you will get a really good bond. The only remaining question is will the bonding survive repeated heat cycling and pulling away of the glass.

I'm going to build one with the bonded mat strips anyway so I will see.

http://www.youtube.com/v/D6pqv26H0IA

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Fri-18-Feb

Been pretty chilly in Mooseville lately; the night time low has been below 0F since the 9th of this month. At -10F, even when it's calm any exposed skin feels like it's burning, best to stoke up the outdoor boiler quick and not stay outside too long. Or wear a scarf.

2015Feb-Temps.png

Lest all you Floridians gloat, my sister's rented a place near Orlando for a month and it's gotten below freezing. It's 73F in the Moosecave right now, and with the sun out got over 80 in our sunroom. We're prepared when it gets a bit chilly.

Almost have the old 17" Everex notebook that runs the Printrbot back working, after trying to clone the failing disk directly to the new drive (IO timeouts) and an image save across the network (died, reporting a lost wireless connection 3 1/2 hours into it) with multiple cloning programs (along with chkdsk /r's, deleted files, shrinking partitions, etc.) , finally did a used cluster only image backup to it's previous drive in a USB case. Worked, as did the restore. A bit of cleanup and drive shuffling (the XT5000's got two drive bays) and it should be back to work. Only took 3 days... Funny thing was all of the errors were in the drive's free space, other than a couple old unneeded downloads that were promptly deleted. Guess that 6 year old 200GB Toshiba had had enough. The SanDisk ReadyCache drive removed from the Moosecave's desktop (which just got a new case and 620W Seasonic power supply last week) for a full sized SSD upgrade's going in it next. Should have run the S.M.A.R.T extended test sooner, not when I started wondering why it had been running slow for a while...

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Wed-13-May

This should be a lesson to all of you with kids at home. Sure, they'll take care of them and do all the work now (if you're lucky), but then they leave and don't take their pets with them.

HorsePonyYard.jpg

Sparkie the pony is somewhere around 30, we got him when he was around 4 or 5 and very feisty. Now he's a ploddy pony, but still a troublemaker. Notice they're in the yard, not the field? Notice he's still scruffy, despite a serious session with the shedding blade. See the removed hair (yes, I raked it up...). Sparkie's the escape ringleader, although these days we don't need to fetch them from a couple miles away. He's the middle girls, wouldn't fit in the apartment in Boston, or on the plane to New Zealand, so he's still here.

Josie's comparatively young, guess somewhere around 10 or 12 without digging out the records. The youngest traded a couple of her lambs and some fair money for her when a junior in high school. A summer later Carrie went to Turkey, and then U of Michigan, and Josie stayed behind. Still here. Not allowed in her apartment in Baltimore.

We'd still have Beau, our blind large pony (apparently a large pony is not a small horse), but he died before the oldest girl left. He was a charity case, supposedly wouldn't live another 6 months (came with a promise to pay for the backhoe). I think he lasted another 10 years... He'd been starved and his retina's detached (no response to light at all), we got him for practice and because the rescuer's other horses were picking on him. I walked many miles leading him with a flock of small girls on his back, and no matter how the kids climbed all over him he always knew where they were and never had any problem with it. Could hit his feed dish from anywhere on the property, no problem. Had a couple more that passed on since then, just the two left.

They're just lawn (back in the field, will see how long that lasts) ornaments and expensive feed to cheap fertilizer converters. Sparkie's within my riding skills (need to bend my knees so they don't drag; shetlands, even old ones, can carry an amazing amount of weight). His preferred pace is dead stop, and can sometimes be coaxed up to very slow walk. The only time I've seen him trot in the last few years is towards dinner, these days he's close to deaf. Josie's good natured but wasn't trained very well (she grew up in a junkyard, another story) and spooks easy. The expert riders that have come and ridden her think she's great and just "needs a few more miles"; this moose had a few lessons back around 1977 and with the knee and fish like gutting recent abdominal surgery may have entered the post-riding era...

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby WayTooManyHobbies » 2017-May-Thu-05-May

Look! Look! You have a Fiero!

WayTooManyHobbies
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Thu-09-May

Three, none currently running <sigh>. 84 2M4, 85SE 5 speed, and an 87 auto parts car, all iron dukes. Wife won't let me buy one of the two well cared for formulas for sale locally. Too many hobbies here, too

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Off topic talk