How In The World Do I Print This?

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby Radioman1017 » 2015-Mar-Wed-11-Mar

hello gang,

Since I got my 3D printer, I have been working my up to this. I'm a cosplayer and I enjoy making pieces and props for other cosplayers. I currently have a Printrbot Simple Metal (I just put that in my sig, no?) and I'm on the cusp of ordering the larger Metal 10x10x10. Because, I want to be able to do helmets and larger armor pieces. Namely, stuff like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:717766

How in the world do I print something this big and with so few flat edges? Obviously, it will require support but if you all have ANY tips (as my ordering a new printer will depend upon whether or not I can successfully do this) would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Radioman1017
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How In The World Do I Print This?

Postby dsegel » 2015-Mar-Wed-11-Mar

Turn it upside down and print it as if it were a bowl. Use a raft to improve adhesion for the small contact point, and if you can some manually added support near the contact point. You'll have to sand it a little to smooth the surface when it's done. Use 3 or 4 perimeters so it's stronger.

dsegel

Postby Radioman1017 » 2015-Mar-Wed-11-Mar

Pretty much what I figured, but I'm not sure what a raft is. I'll all about the sanding and finishing. This would be mostly used as a solid for a slush cast mold so there's a little leeway there.

Mark

Radioman1017

Postby PxT » 2015-Mar-Wed-12-Mar

Basically a raft is a large flat area that is placed down first to give your print a solid base. Usually you only need to use it when you have a large piece with a very small contact point on the bed (such as an upside down helmet, for example).

You may not even need a raft if you use support, but it might help also. Notice on that thingiverse link that there are no real photos, just renders so it's likely that nobody has actually printed this yet. If it were me I would do a test run at small scale, say 25% or less. You can do that on your Simple. Once you find settings that work you should be able to just transfer those right over to the full size model.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby ThereWillBprints2 » 2015-Apr-Sun-02-Apr

A bowl will work that way but a helmet will not. Not unless you have an 8" tall head. Cut it into pieces and print it thin. Not thicker than .5mm because you are going to heat it up with a heat gun to seal all edges and then again to form it to your head. The key is that you want it to bend but be sturdy.

Or

Print the helmet as strips. Heat form to head, use an old hat as a template. Than you add onto it with foam spray. If you lined it with foil then you can print 8" models as long as you manually enlarge it and throw away the print. Again not many people have that circumference.

Now on going larger, you can, but is your head and larger armor parts only 10" cubed? If yes, than cheat and make the design smaller but repeating and interlocked. Then attach the links, like regular armor to make bigger pieces.

Hope it helps!

**edit***
Any hat store like Lidz, Tops, Mens Fashion, etc will tell you exactly your size for free!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ThereWillBprints2
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Things talk