Printer case

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Printer case

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Tue-14-Oct

Hi,

Within the next few weeks I will be receiving my printrbot simple metal. My plan with it is to print with ABS and other filament types (up till now I have only been printing with PLA). Since I am always printing in my room - I thought it was a good enough reason to start this project. Basically its a airtight enclosed housing for my simple metal that will filter the fumes that ABS produces. Below is the specs

BOM

Electronics
Printrboard Rev F
RaspberryPi B+
Arduino UNO
uLCD32PTU

ATXRaspi
LED Push Button
2 Channel 5V Relay
1m 60 LED NeoPixel
171mm 150 CFM 220VAC Fan
Powered USB Hub
450W ATX PSU

Perspex
2 x (583mm x 435mm x 5mm)
1 x (600mm x 435mm x 5mm)

Aluminium
38mm x 38mm x 2mm angle bar
12.7mm x 2mm flat bar

Wood
Superwood:
Top : 605mm x 614mm x 18mm
Back : 603mm x 610mm x 18mm
Base Top & Bottom : 565mm x 610mm x 18mm
Front : 610mm x 168mm x 18mm
Interior Panels (Base) Sides : 316mm x 132mm x 18mm
Interior Panels (Base) Back : 384mm x 132mm x 18mm

Masonite:
Left Doors (x2) : 284mm x 141mm x 3.2mm
Right Door: 234mm x 141mm x 3.2mm

Misc
Rubber seals? (or even refrigerator door gaskets)
Silicone
various nuts and bolts
Carbon filters

Dimensions (Catering for Volume upgrade from Matrix Precision)
607mm x 618mm x 615mm (L x W x H) - Outer
557mm x 568mm x 435mm (L x W x H) - Effective Inner dimensions usable by printer

Control Hardware + Software
Raspberry Pi running OctoPi (For Cloud control and Timelapse capture)
uLCD-32-PTU Touchscreen from 4D Systems (interfacing with OctoPrint's events via a custom listener app that I will be writing) for direct manual control

Filtration system
171mm 220VAC fan (150 CFM)
3 - 4 layers of activated carbon filters

Filament Feed (not sure about this yet)
Spool coaster mounted on top of case - PTFE tubing running into case to guide filament (similar to Bowden extruders - but without the motor pushing the filament)

This is what the design looks like so far (I am planning on painting the aluminium bars black as well)

I have also attached the Sketchup file should anyone like to take a look
Printing Box v2.skp

I am also playing with some ideas to control the ambient temperature inside the case as well (using temp probes and an arduino)

I got some models from thingiverse and 3d warehouse to get an idea of what the end result might look like (everything is as close to scale as I could get them)

Any suggestions/ changes are welcome (Especially on the filament feed side/filtration system)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by midget214 on 2014-Oct-Tue-12-Oct, edited 5 times in total.
midget214
Levelling print bed...

Printer case

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printer case

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

Project Update:

Build Materials are ordered and on the way. I have received my 4D Display today and I am busy working on the UI. (My programming cable seems to be faulty so I need to get a replacement). Below is the work in progress for the LCD layout.
(The screen will show 2 pages. The first is manual control for jogging the axis, homing and setting temps manually. The second page will activate once a print starts. My plan is to show print % done and realtime temp graph).

I have included modifed versions of the Printrbot and OctoPrint logos as well

3D printer UI.png

I uploaded this same image directly to the 32PTU - and it looks badass already XD Once UI is settled I need to export the various images as button state images and import them into 4DS Workshop. Gonna be fun

As I continue on this build- I will post more updates as I go along

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by midget214 on 2014-Dec-Tue-14-Dec, edited 1 time in total.
midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Mon-14-Oct

I have started building the UI in Workshop. I decided to use a Visi Project since it gives you the UI gen as well as the ability to write custom code. (I wish there was a way to convert between Visi Genie and Visi). The manual control interface is basically done. I think I need to add "Off" buttons for the Heatbed and Hotend still. I haven't decided if I want to add extrude/reverse yet - the UI is a bit pressed for space as it is (you need to be able to use this with your finger - and not just a stylus/pen without accidentally pressing something else)

3D printer UI.png

Im still waiting for my custom cut Perspex panels - hopefully they will arrive this week. I should be able to finish off the UI code by end of this week, I then need to move over to Marlin and write my own LCD code since the current menu implementation won't work for my custom UI.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby killbox » 2014-Oct-Mon-15-Oct

I like where this is going. ive been planning and re-planning a case for my heavily modded Simple. if you could give me more info on how you are controlling the bot and the wire diagrams that would be great.

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Mon-23-Oct

I will be using a Raspberry Pi B+ to control my bot (Running OctoPrint). The LCD will connect over COM0 to the Pi - and COM1 to the printrboard. Since all values you set on printrboard will be overwritten by the control software - it only makes sense to send commands to the pi rather than the Printrboard. Reading values (Like temperatures etc) will be more accurate from the printrboard. Below is a very rough wiring diagram of this. (The PI will be connected to the LCD using the 4D systems PI breakout shield (http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/4D_ ... i_Adaptor/)

Basic Wiring.png

Comms will work as follow

Custom app running on Pi will listen for serial commands from the LCD. This will be passed on to the Printrboard using OctoPrint's REST API. Changes will be made to Marlin to post temp readings, X, Y and Z changes and will be displayed on the LCD.

Let me know if you need more info

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Fri-13-Oct

Ok- here is a better version of the setup. (previous attempt was terrible :p )

Complete Setup
Raspberry Pi B+
Powered USB Hub
Arduino UNO R3
4D uLCD-32PTU
Printrboard Rev-F
ATXRaspi R2

Extras
5V Relay - to turn on/off 220VAC extractor fan
Neopixel LED Strip - Arduino will use PWM to set LED colors (this is purely for some flair - gotta make it look nice yes?)
Blue LED Push Button - again - more flair to turn printer on and off safely. Just cutting the power will cause the Pi not shutdown properly - which is why I included the ATXRaspi controller

Connection Setup
ATX PSU -> ATXRaspi (Straightforward)
ATX PSU -> Powered USB Hub
ATX PSU -> Arduino

ATXRaspi -> Raspberry PI via modified micro USB cable and wires for signals (see ATXRaspi website for details)
ATXRaspi -> LCD display using wires (connected to Pins 13 & 14) for power only

RPi -> LCD (Connecting COM0 to RPi) - COM0 will mainly issue commands to the Pi. Pi will parse commands and pass it on to Octoprint via REST api

RPi -> Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub -> Printrboard

Printrboard -> LCD (Connecting COM1 to Printrboard) - COM1 will mainly receive commands from Printrboard. Will be used to get accurate Temp readings and display it on the screen

Arduino -> LCD (Connecting I2C) - LCD will be I2C master. Arduino will simply receive ON/OFF commands from LCD for the LEDS/Extractor fan

Below is a diagram of this setup.

Not shown:
Power to the Printrboard and Arduino
Connections to the extractor fan and the LEDs
USB cable from Pi -> Powered USB Hub -> Printrboard

schemeit-project (1).png

As a bonus - here is the current status of the UI. This is a screenshot directly from the Workshop IDE. All the buttons are working - as well as the sliders. What I now need to do is add labels to the sliders to show the temp - and create the realtime temp graph screen.
UI WIP.PNG

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Sat-13-Oct

Construction - Day 1

Collected my Perspex today. They did not have time to drill the holes for me so I had to do it myself. After trying out some settings on a scrap piece I found the following to work very well with my Dremel 4000

Drill bits I used (5mm)
Speed set to +- 11 000 RPM

It took a while to drill all the holes (You cannot go too fast) - but the result is great)

While at the perspex place I found some perspex hinges. Looks like they will work nicely for the door. (They are 100mm x 40mm)

I also managed to cut all the angle bars to size. Tomorrow I will drill the holes, cut the wood panels and start the base assembly

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Sun-14-Oct

Construction Day 2

Being a Sunday you cannot make too much noise. I got the wood cut to size - but then stopped from doing anything else that would make too much noise.

Last edited by midget214 on 2014-Oct-Tue-13-Oct, edited 1 time in total.
midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Tue-13-Oct

Construction Day 3
I work full hours during the day - so I cannot do too much when I get home during the week. I managed to route the grooves for the sliding doors before it got too dark to work

Construction Day 4

The 4 main support angle bars have been drilled and painted - and I cannot be happier with the result

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Fri-15-Oct

Construction Day 5 + UI updates

LED Push button finally arrived

Started working on the front plate of the case. I also found some cap nuts and decided to paint them with the same paint as the angle bars

Finally, the lastest version of the UI, I added another screen that will control the extraction fan and the color of the NeoPixels (via the Arduino)

Below is a quick demo of the UI in it's current state (Connected to an Arduino - I switched out the relay for a simple LED )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJt5I2j ... e=youtu.be

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Oct-Wed-13-Oct

My Neopixels arrived today. Finally got to test the full arduino app to make sure the LED logic works as intended. Check the result below (Excuse the crappy camera work - I can't really work with my left hand XD )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gtIps ... e=youtu.be

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby jolars » 2014-Oct-Thu-10-Oct

Looking really good! A lot of custom work there.

jolars
I'm an end stop.

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Sun-13-Nov

Extraction fan finally got delivered - what a little beast - much bigger than I had expected. The filter holder and guard is quite nice - the included filter won't be of much use. Will need to find some activated carbon sheets and replace it

Construction - Day 6 - 8
Finally managed to cut out the roof for the extraction fan - and route the back for the wires that will power the fan and NeoPixels. Result is not too bad. Ideally I would have liked the wire cover to be more hidden and more flush with the rest of the board. Oh well.

Finally - all the pieces painted and ready to be assembled. If all goes well - it should be put together by the end of next weekend. During the week I will finalize the electronics - and the RaspberryPi App.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Tue-11-Nov

Quick Dry assembly

I added the front perspex panel as well to show clearance (it still has its protective plastic on it though)

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Thu-13-Nov

Small update. Rather than sticking my Arduino in the printer case making it useless for any other projects - I decided to create my own little "hacked" arduino - and place it inside a ABS enclosure to protect it. Below is what I came up with (The disconnected wires is for the relay that controls the AC fan)

Also - my wrapped sliding doors finally arrived.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Mon-13-Nov

Final assembly

I still need to hook up all the electronics - and complete the filtering system (planning to do it this weekend). After all electronics are installed - I will properly clean the perspex. Its crazy how easily perspex attracts dust once you try to wipe it down - damn static

In the end - I had to ditch my wrapped Masonite doors :( - turned out that they will wear out way too fast if opened regularly. So I opted for perspex doors. The magnet strips worked out really well

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Sun-08-Nov

Air filter done

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Nov-Sun-09-Nov

Very cool project!

Does the air filtration recirculate the air inside the unit? Or replace and filter the outflow? Recirculating it might give you the possibility of controlling the overall temperature in the chamber, no?

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

http://ei8htohms.tinyparts.net
ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby killbox » 2014-Nov-Sun-12-Nov

it looks like recirc, but you'd have to be very careful things could get hot. and spools don't like getting hot. where are you mounting the spool?

Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Sun-13-Nov

killbox wrote:it looks like recirc, but you'd have to be very careful things could get hot. and spools don't like getting hot. where are you mounting the spool?

Yeah - the air is cycled back into the case - so even if some fumes remain - it will simply be fed back. I made it easy to modify the airflow should I need to cool down the air before feeding it back into the case - but I don't think it will be required.

The filament spool will be mounted outside the case (on the lid). I'm going to use Teflon tubing to feed/guide the filament into the case.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby killbox » 2014-Nov-Sun-15-Nov

how will the tube move back and forth? with the y head? this is the thing keeping me from building my own case

Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Sun-23-Nov

For now - it will simply be stationary. There should be enough distance between the lid and the printer for the filament to move without snapping. If you have a look at most other cases (like Makerbots etc) - the filament is mounted on the back - then loops at the top and goes downward toward the extruder. mine works in a similar way - except the filament does not need to make that 180 turn downward

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Nov-Thu-15-Nov

No big update. I finally created the Print status screen. I dropped the idea for a Temp graph - does not really make any sense to have one - as your temp will be more or less the same throughout the print. Here is what I came up with

The button at the bottom is used to pause and resume a print. I made the time remaining nice and big so that its easy to see from a distance. To me thats the only real info I need at a glance (Maybe I will add % done as well)

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Dec-Sat-16-Dec

The fan adapter is finally done. I had to print 3 sizing protoypes to get the final sizing right - but its is finally done. I initally thought I would glue the 4 pieces together, but there is no need. Once the exhaust is connected to the top its so tight its quite a mission to get off - which is perfect. There is still a very slight air leak on the left hand side - but I am not going to worry about it too much for now.

Sizing prototype

Final Pieces

Installed

For reference - this is what it looked like without the adapter

I now need to print the screen holder and the activated carbon filter holder. Before I start with those though I will calibrate my steps per mm for the X and Y axis. My 10mm box prints at 10.25 and 10.33mm - which is fine for most prints where absolute precision is no required - but my filter needs to be 100% perfect. Hopefully I can get the calbration sorted tomorrow early and get the filter done by the end of the weekend. I sliced the filter in the mean time, and estimated print time is 8 hours :?

Filter Holder

The filter holder has 2 parts. The main piece has a slight lip to keep it in place (stop the fan from sucking it in). Once printed I will glue in a very fine mesh to keep the activated carbon in place. This filter should allow me to easily swap out the activated carbon every few weeks.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Dec-Tue-14-Dec

Filter Update
The main piece is done printing - very happy with the result.

Screen mounting
The metal pins that came with the screen bezel were way too short to reach the back of my superwood faceplate - so I had to create my own. A simple design - but it works. 2 goals came to mind.

1. The screen must be easy to remove. Ideally no screws.
2. The screen should fit snug. It is a touch screen after all.

Here is what I made

I still need to design and print the fasteners - but they are straight forward. They will simply hook into the bracket to keep it against the wooden panel. If you want to remove the screen (to apply code changes or what ever) you simply slide off the fasteners and take the screen out.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Dec-Fri-00-Dec

Electronics installation

Finally started to wire the case. Project is getting close to completion

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Dec-Sun-11-Dec

Printer in case
The printer has finally moved to its new home. Did a quick print to check how the filament feeds and noise levels. The filament moves ok - but I think I will need to install some teflon tubing. The printer is a lot quieter now. The case does a good job of absorbing the noise.

The next step is to check how stable the temperature stays inside the case on long prints. I think it will be ok - but I can easily install another fan to get some fresh air inside the case if need be.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Dec-Sun-12-Dec

Very cool! I mean nice. Probably a little warm actually. B-)

Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby ElmoC » 2014-Dec-Thu-22-Dec

Looking really nice. I have plans in the back of my mind to build something similar. I was wondering though, why all the effort into the color LEDs for lighting? I would think a couple simple puck lights would work fine.

ElmoC
Loading filament...

Postby midget214 » 2014-Dec-Fri-12-Dec

I went with the LED lights for 2 reasons. First - I wanted to play with NeoPixels - see how they work etc. Also - I'm a case modding freak when building gaming PC's - so naturally my Printer case had to have some useless flair as well :p

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Dec-Sun-05-Dec

If you're a case modder with a 3d printer then you should definitely check our RepRapSquad's latest adventure:

http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/3d-printing-hits-case-modding/

Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby midget214 » 2014-Dec-Mon-17-Dec

Cool - will check it out. I posted a quick walk around of my case. Feel free to check it out in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFhOhL ... e=youtu.be

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Dec-Mon-20-Dec

Great stuff. It's been a little while since I've been on the forums. Great work with the enclosure. I can tell that you like case modding as I see a little bit of that flavor in this build. Keep up the good work and if you ever want to see my case build I'm doing with 3D printed parts from my Printrbot plus just check out Dark Side Case mod. It's posted on OverClock.net

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Dec-Mon-23-Dec

That is a seriously awesome piece of kit. Congrats!

Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Dec-Tue-17-Dec

ei8htohms wrote:That is a seriously awesome piece of kit. Congrats!

Are you referring to the darks side case or the enclosure?

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Dec-Wed-00-Dec

Lol, sorry. I posted that in response to the video walk-around of the printer case. But yes, the Dark Side pc case qualifies as an awesome piece of kit as well. ;-)

Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
Twin 30mm fans

ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby midget214 » 2015-May-Thu-14-May

Just to give an update. I finally started printing with ABS. The activated carbon filter helps alot. I can't smell any fumes in my room. Looks like the filter is working as intended.

midget214
Levelling print bed...

Return to Things talk