[HOW-TO] - Printing Multi Color with One Extruder

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby magikh0e » 2014-Feb-Sat-16-Feb

Hi All,

Did not see this posted on here anywhere, so I thought I would share.

1. Using repetier and slic3r, slice your part up and let the gcode be generated, once it has been generated. Select the Visualization tab below, and check the Show Single Layer option.

Note: If you do not see a visualization tab, most likely your window boxes/alignment needs dragged around. Mine was hidden initially.

2. Now use the arrows or sliders and go through each layer to find the exact layer you wish to change colors on. Once you have found the layer, click on the Last Layer button.
Now in the gcode editor area, you should see a line similar to the following:

The G92 E0 is usually at the end of a layer and it will reset the extrusion distance, then the G1 Z#.### F#####.##### would be setting up for the next layer.

BEFORE
Code: Select all
G92 E0
G1 Z#.#### F####.#####

Placing the @pause gcode instruction after the G92 E0 will cause repetier to pause the printer before starting the next layer. Thus allowing Z to be lifted and the filament changed.

AFTER
G92 E0
@pause
G1 Z##### F#####.#####

Note: Manual control does not work while the print has been paused, repetier provides other functionality which allows this to happen. Repetier has the ability to run code during different states of printing like during a pause or when a kill command haas been sent. You will need to use the Run on Pause option

3. In the above menu bar on the G-Code Editor tab, select the drop down option that currently says G-Code, and select the Run on Pause option.
4. Inside the new blank area, add the following command.

G1 Z100.0

This will move the extruder/Z up to 100, away from the print, allowing you to flush out the old filament and make sure the new is working properly. Upon clicking the continue printing button, the printer will continue back to where it left off using the new color. Keep in mind though, you may have to make the 100 higher or lower, depending on what you are printing, just make sure you have enough clearance to flush out the old filament first.

Heres an example of mine doing a 2 color print, looks awesome!

2014-01-29 05.49.14.jpg

Hope this helps someone else trying to find a way to cleanly print multi color with one extruder do this, good luck and happy printing!

Note: For best results, only change colors once another layer has ended.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hacker's do it with all sorts of characters...
magikh0e
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: [HOW-TO] - Printing Multi Color with One Extruder

Postby wd5gnr » 2014-Feb-Wed-00-Feb

Based on the How To, I tried this. The surface is a bit rough because one edge warped up and the head drug through it. But proof of concept it works!

Black and red ABS.

IMG_20140204_233205~2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby slicedveggie » 2014-Mar-Sat-11-Mar

Thats awesome. Super slick!

slicedveggie
I'm an end stop.

Postby neo2478 » 2014-Aug-Thu-05-Aug

Thanks a lot for the clear guide! Can't wait to try it!!

neo2478
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby MrFluffy » 2014-Oct-Sat-10-Oct

Awesome tip, works great.
I think I have my toolchain set up differently and didnt see your gcodes, but the layers are deliminated by the following :-
;LAYER:x where x = the layer. So to put the sleep at layer 5 I'd just /LAYER\:5 and insert it after (vi, I'm running repetier host under gentoo linux).
Knocked these up in cad, sliced them with curaengine set up to use slic3r, then hand edited the sleep in.
keyrings_for_kids.jpg

MrFluffy
I'm an end stop.

Return to Things talk