Please give some suggestions to improve my DNA print

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby tonychan1488 » 2015-Oct-Mon-11-Oct

Hi everyone in printrbot forum,

I have recently made a small section of a DNA section and I need you guys' help to take a look and suggest how I can do to improve them. The three picture showed below are different side of the print (front,back and side view). I'm using my simple metal with heated bed with PLA in 200C and 210C for comparison. Here's my configuration with Cura when I print them:

Settings:
Layer Height: 0.1mm
Bottom/Top thickness: 0.6mm
Print speed: 20mm/s
Heated bed temperature: 60 C
Without support
Retraction speed: 35mm/s
Travel speed: 180mm/s
Fill Density: 50%

I'm happy with the overall shape but if you look closely you can see there's small strings of plastic coming off the edges of the print. Is it because my printing teperature is too high? I've been using 205 ~ 215 C so far and they're giving the best result to me. The front is alright but the back seems to be a bit worse as the surface is a bit rougher compared to the front.

Can everyone give me their honest opinions about the prints and points that I can improve it? I like my print but I hope the print can be a bit smoother. Thank You

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tonychan1488
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Please give some suggestions to improve my DNA print

Postby killbox » 2015-Oct-Mon-12-Oct

over-extrusion and retraction settings need a bit of tweaking

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Mon-13-Oct

The "back" isn't so much the back as the bottom. The unevenness there is caused by the overhang.

I assume you have a fan cooling the deposited filament?

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby sarahspins » 2015-Oct-Mon-13-Oct

killbox wrote:over-extrusion and retraction settings need a bit of tweaking

I agree with this, double check your extrusion calibration, as well as your filament diameter, to make sure something isn't happening to cause you to be pushing out more filament than you need - overextrusion is something that tends to be more visible on prints with lots of individual columns like this, while it can kind of go unnoticed in larger volume prints with the exception of solid infill. Also, what is your retraction amount (not just speed and not z lift).

Lowering your temperature a bit may also help with the oozing as well as overhang issues.

sarahspins
I'm an end stop.

Postby tonychan1488 » 2015-Oct-Tue-00-Oct

sarahspins wrote:
killbox wrote:over-extrusion and retraction settings need a bit of tweaking

I agree with this, double check your extrusion calibration, as well as your filament diameter, to make sure something isn't happening to cause you to be pushing out more filament than you need - overextrusion is something that tends to be more visible on prints with lots of individual columns like this, while it can kind of go unnoticed in larger volume prints with the exception of solid infill. Also, what is your retraction amount (not just speed and not z lift).

Lowering your temperature a bit may also help with the oozing as well as overhang issues.

I've tried to print with ~190C but the base was with lots of gaps (supposed to be filled 100% but it isn't) so I stopped in the middle. For the extrusion calibration, I only know how to tweak retraction speed and distance so far...can you explain what retraction amount is and give me some tip for the extrusion calibration?

tonychan1488
Levelling print bed...

Postby tonychan1488 » 2015-Oct-Tue-00-Oct

frankv wrote:The "back" isn't so much the back as the bottom. The unevenness there is caused by the overhang.

Yes I have a fan cooling at 100% after first 5 layers

tonychan1488
Levelling print bed...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Oct-Tue-01-Oct

tonychan1488 wrote:
frankv wrote:The "back" isn't so much the back as the bottom. The unevenness there is caused by the overhang.

1. cut it straight down the middle

2. lay two parts flat on the bed and print

3. glue together after print.

That will eliminate most of your overhangs, and make the cross links vertical columns IE no elongated bridging, with Cura you can cut an object by pushing into the bed so only half of it is above the bed.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby tonychan1488 » 2015-Oct-Tue-03-Oct

thawkins wrote:
tonychan1488 wrote:

1. cut it straight down the middle

2. lay two parts flat on the bed and print

3. glue together after print.

That will eliminate most of your overhangs, and make the cross links vertical columns IE no elongated bridging, with Cura you can cut an object by pushing into the bed so only half of it is above the bed.

Sorry I don't get how you can cut it in half with Cura. I've tried with "split the object into parts" but nothing happened :( Should I just split it with SolidWorks and print them separately instead?

tonychan1488
Levelling print bed...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Oct-Tue-03-Oct

tonychan1488 wrote:
Sorry I don't get how you can cut it in half with Cura. I've tried with "split the object into parts" but nothing happened :(

you will need to rotate it first so the strand is parallel to the bed, and then set the "cut off object bottom" in the advanced settings, that will remove the bottom part of the object, the setting works in layers, so find out how many layers in the rotated object and set it to half that. Make sure your rotation is right so that it is effectily cut through both the strand and the support.

You should be able to do it twice on the same plate with the second copy rotated along x by 180, then cut it again, that should give you the two halves lying flat on the bed.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby tonychan1488 » 2015-Oct-Tue-04-Oct

thawkins wrote:
tonychan1488 wrote:
Sorry I don't get how you can cut it in half with Cura. I've tried with "split the object into parts" but nothing happened :(

you will need to rotate it first so the strand is parallel to the bed, and then set the "cut off object bottom" in the advanced settings, that will remove the bottom part of the object, the setting works in layers, so find out how many layers in the rotated object and set it to half that. Make sure your rotation is right so that it is effectily cut through both the strand and the support.

You should be able to do it twice on the same plate with the second copy rotated along x by 180, then cut it again, that should give you the two halves lying flat on the bed.

Sorry I'm using Cura 15.04 now on Windows and I couldn't find any "advacned settings" and "cut off object bottom" options......I hope I'm getting the right software

tonychan1488
Levelling print bed...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Oct-Fri-23-Oct

tonychan1488 wrote:Sorry I'm using Cura 15.04 now on Windows and I couldn't find any "advacned settings" and "cut off object bottom" options......I hope I'm getting the right software

If you don't have the 4 tabs with all the different settings you can change: Go to the "Expert" menu and choose "Switch to full settings".

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby tonychan1488 » 2015-Nov-Sun-03-Nov

MartyS wrote:
tonychan1488 wrote:Sorry I'm using Cura 15.04 now on Windows and I couldn't find any "advacned settings" and "cut off object bottom" options......I hope I'm getting the right software

If you don't have the 4 tabs with all the different settings you can change: Go to the "Expert" menu and choose "Switch to full settings".

Hey MartyS, I've already switched to full settings before but i can't find the option to cut off object bottom. The closest option is "split objects into part" but it does nothing after I've select it. It would be nice if you can printscreen the option from Cura. I tried to find it on Cura but it just not there :(

tonychan1488
Levelling print bed...

Postby bres55 » 2015-Nov-Sun-10-Nov

In Cura, there are four tabs
Basic........Advanced..........Plugins.........Start/End-GCode.
It's in the Advanced tab, under
...................................Quality
3rd line down
Cut off object bottom (mm)
I am using Cura 14.07, but I checked in 15.02.1, it is there too.

bres55
I'm an end stop.

Postby MartyS » 2015-Nov-Mon-21-Nov

That's exactly where it is in 15.04 also.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby New Passion » 2015-Dec-Wed-11-Dec

I think you should calibrate your extruder and measure your filament diameter, as already mentioned, make sure you measure the filament in several places and enter the average into your slicer. If you search online you should be able to find how to calibrate your extruder, once you do this you will be amazed how much your print quality improves. Thawkins idea is a great one, if you are still having trouble printing half of the model with Cura, then Download Netfabb Basic it is easy to learn, just load the model in, select a view like top view or front view and cut your model in half then export the two separate models. Good luck with your print.

New Passion
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to Things talk