What should i use till fill small gaps between print parts?

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby h4344 » 2015-Aug-Fri-01-Aug

So i recently printed a mask for a convention that's coming up and i want to spray paint it to finish the job. First though i want to fill all the cracks in the mask since i had to do it in sections as it was too big to do at once. I heard bondo was an option but im just wondering if there was anything simpler that would be a quick apply and finish job as i dont need to fill that much.

Another quick question i thought i would throw in, if i want to paint my print say silver would i need to use primer first if its white PLA filament?

Thanks for any advice :)

h4344
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What should i use till fill small gaps between print par

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Fri-10-Aug

Both Krylon and Rust-Oleum have spray paint the claims it bonds to plastic without sanding or priming.

For the gaps you could try automotive spot putty, which is basically thick paint. It would be easier to work with than bondo if the gaps aren't too big, although if there's any movement between the pieces it'll break and fall out.

There's an automotive product called primer-surfacer, thick sandable primer, that can be used to give you a finish that's as good as you want to put the effort into (think mirror finish, but you'll be sanding a long time).

If your a bit adventurous there's vapor smoothing (search, google). There's a MEK substitute (search...) that will work for PLA. Real MEK is nasty stuff (used it in the past for thinning and cleaning up epoxy, the rumored genetic mutations might be why my kids are so much smarter and cuter than everybody else's :) ), but the substitute supposedly isn't.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Fri-11-Aug

If you've got a hobby shop in the area putty for plastic models works to fill seams.

I've use Tamyia acrylics directly on printed PLA and after a year they still look fine, no peeling.

If you are going to paint a pattern on the mask you will need to use a filling primer or several base coats of paint, capillary action in the spaces between the layers makes the paint spread out like crazy on printed parts.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby WinterEC » 2015-Dec-Mon-13-Dec

h4344 wrote:So i recently printed a mask for a convention that's coming up and i want to spray paint it to finish the job. First though i want to fill all the cracks in the mask since i had to do it in sections as it was too big to do at once. I heard bondo was an option but im just wondering if there was anything simpler that would be a quick apply and finish job as i dont need to fill that much.

Another quick question i thought i would throw in, if i want to paint my print say silver would i need to use primer first if its white PLA filament?

Thanks for any advice :)

Look into Squadron Putty. It comes in green and white (which I believe are the same except the color). It applies easily and dries pretty quickly. Sands well also, much much easier than sanding CA glue once dried, for instance.

WinterEC
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby PxT » 2015-Dec-Mon-13-Dec

Bondo All Purpose is a good choice. Dries fast (minutes vs. hours for some types of plastic putty such as Tamiya), sands easily, won't shrink (Tamiya putty can shrink over time as the solvent evaporates) and most importantly matches the sheen of PLA when sanded & painted. I found that Tamiya putty had a noticeably different surface finish than the surrounding plastic when painted, even after careful prep.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Dec-Mon-18-Dec

PxT wrote:Bondo All Purpose is a good choice

Plus you can buy it almost everywhere, fix those dings in your car, and you'll find it handy for other things. In another life, when the now Mrs. Moose and I lived in the big city, we used Bondo to hold jigs and templates in place while building our (like most homebuilts) never completed Q2.

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Dec-Tue-11-Dec

I use Krylon Fusion paint for all my PLA parts that need to be painted. As far as filling in your mask why not simply use a soldering iron and some PLA and weld the gaps closed. Then sand-prime-paint.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Things talk