Electrolytic rust removal...

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Aug-Wed-21-Aug

Designed and printed parts for rust removal gizmo: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:971667

image2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldJ
Support material...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Electolytic rust removal...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Wed-21-Aug

DonaldJ wrote:Designed and printed parts for rust removal gizmo: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:971667

image2.JPG

Would this work for removing rust from 8mm rods etc, humidity here in manila means that I get rust all over my metal parts after about a year, despite my efforts of keeping it well greased. I have taken to keeping my spare smooth and threaded rods in an oil bath (big Rubbermaid with 2 quarts of engine oil in it), to stop my stock of printer building parts from rusting away.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Re: Electolytic rust removal...

Postby DonaldJ » 2015-Aug-Thu-06-Aug

thawkins wrote:Would this work for removing rust from 8mm rods etc, humidity here in manila means that I get rust all over my metal parts after about a year, despite my efforts of keeping it well greased. I have taken to keeping my spare smooth and threaded rods in an oil bath (big Rubbermaid with 2 quarts of engine oil in it), to stop my stock of printer building parts from rusting away.

It will remove the rust, but the surface will be pitted, depending on the severity of the rust. Non-rusted steel should be unaffected, but I don't know how the process affects things like surface hardness or temper.

How do the mechanics and workers in machine shops deal with the humidity problem?

DonaldJ
Support material...

Return to Things talk