First baby toy: plastic keys

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby greenfly » 2012-May-Sat-19-May

I'm about to be a father and I've been excited about all the toys I'll be able to print for my son. Unfortunately most of the really cool toys are a choking hazard and will have to wait until he is older, but in the mean time I figured babies seem to like keys, and toy stores have this giant plastic keys for babies so why not just print a few out?

I took the key design from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8925 and scaled it by 200% so it was safe, and printed it out in multiple colors of PLA. I included a regular key (no not my house key) in the picture so you can get a sense of scale:

20120505_001t.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenfly
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First baby toy: plastic keys

Postby PxT » 2012-May-Sat-22-May

Great idea. Print a carabiner-type ring to hook them on to so that they can be rattled together and I bet he will love them!

PxT
Print complete...

Postby loise23 » 2017-Sep-Thu-07-Sep

Hello,

When I was very young, my grandpa made me a toy which consisted of a project enclosure, some buttons, some LEDS, and a couple batteries. The lights lit up when you pressed the switches, and it was my favorite toy ever. Now, I'd like to create a new one for my 1-year-old nephew. I'm looking for ideas for cool little things I can add to it to make it more exciting.

loise23
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby __Vinz__ » 2017-Sep-Mon-00-Sep

Cool toys! I was thinking the same thing when baby was born but I also considered the fact that they like to suck things a lot and I was not sure how safe printed PLA was in that regard, cf discussions about 3D printed cookie cutters, the problem is bacteria sneaking inbetween the layers, without a real solution to properly clean (I don't know about ABS but the issue appears to be the same). I eventually waited and now that he is older, I'm restarting my machine to print toys to play with him, my next one is going to be https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2054125 !

Printrbot Play Kit from Nov 2015 - Rev F5 printrboard
Y axis with heated bed upgrade - installed Oct 2016
Z lead screw 4-start + blower fan upgrade - installed April 2017
__Vinz__
Levelling print bed...

Return to Things talk