Dual Extrusion on Printrbot Simple Metal !!!REV F BOARD!!!

Talk about things - things to make, things you made

Postby marmig0404 » 2017-Jan-Mon-21-Jan

I'm now starting a project I've wished to begin for a long time now.
I am transforming my Printrbot Simple Metal single extruder into a dual extruder with an E3D Chimera hotend.
Things that need to happen:
    • Parts need to arrive in mail
    • Assemble Parts
    • Print 2 material Parts
Only if it were that easy...
Things that need to happen in order for the above to happen:
    • Wait for parts in mail
      ○ E3D Chimera
      ○ 5mm ID Drive Gear
      ○ NEMA17 Stepper Motor
      ○ Bowden Adaptor and Coupling x 2
      ○ PTFE Bowden Tube
      ○ Stepper Driver
      ○ Extruder Block
      ○ Some Resistors and MOSFETs for additional hotend circuitry
    • Create circuit for additional hotend
    • Design and Print an adapter for Printrbot Simple Metal to interface with Chimera Hotend
    • Update marlin firmware settings and try not to brick a second printrboard (including messing with pins.h to allow IC1 or IC2 to interface with new hotend and extruder circuitry)
    • Put everything together and pray it works
    • Print some wicked cool dual material/color prints
I will try to keep this thread updated, posting pictures to keep track of my progress through this project.

marmig0404
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dual Extrusion on Printrbot Simple Metal !!!REV F BOARD!

Postby YellowGTO » 2017-Jan-Sat-00-Jan

Oh wow. This sounds like a super cool project. Keep it posted!

YellowGTO
Printing skirt...

Postby Dr_Radium » 2017-Mar-Sun-16-Mar

marmig0404 wrote:I'm now starting a project I've wished to begin for a long time now.
I am transforming my Printrbot Simple Metal single extruder into a dual extruder with an E3D Chimera hotend.
Things that need to happen:
{snip}

I will try to keep this thread updated, posting pictures to keep track of my progress through this project.

I hope your project has gone well. The Chimera is a great system for dual extrusion for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is the known fixed distance between extruders (18mm) and the ease of getting both extruders at the same height.

I upgraded my early model printrbot simple metal to use the E3D Chimera late last year and wrote up the conversion on Thingiverse. You can find it at www(dot)thingiverse(dot)com/thing:1821862 Sorry for the (dot)s but I'm not reliable enough to use the off board URL and not have the system decide I'm spamming. Since my metalworking skills vastly exceeded my 3D design skills, I made the physical adaptors for the chimera using simple aluminum sheets. I used the original Alu extruder as a near direct drive. Near because I actually treated it like a <1cm long bowden with a groove mount adaptor as the path took a slight jog to allow enough room for a critical screw. The second drive was a Titan extruder bowden system with the drive mounted on top of the Z supports. I used an extrudrboard to run the second extruder which simplified things greatly. Do however note that there are some odd things you need to do to make everything work. Specifically:

"THERM-B on the extruderboard must have either a Ubis thermistor attached, or a 100K ohm resistor across the two terminals. But that's not all! To avoid giant oscillations (>20C) in hot end temp you must take at least one if not two more steps. You need a large wire, 12G or so, connecting one mounting post of the extrudrboard to the printrboard. You may find this is enough. I did not nor did some others using non-Printrbot extrudrboards. To eliminate the oscillations, connect only one side of the 2nd hot end E3D thermistor to directly to one of the THERM-A terminals. Wire the other terminal to a mounting post on the extrudrboard."

It may sound crazy, but it is required to make the system work. I actually discovered a great deal of this on the forum.
If you have any questions or if I can be of any help please drop me a line here or at Thingiverse, or post a reply here and I will do what I can to help.

Dr_Radium

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Mar-Tue-14-Mar

It's your newness, not reliability, the prevents links. Here it is. That much work deserves a link. Hope it's <ducks> reliable.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Dr_Radium » 2017-Mar-Fri-08-Mar

[quote="Mooselake"]It's your newness, not reliability, the prevents links. {snip} That much work deserves a link. Hope it's <ducks> reliable.

LOL. But its my newness that makes me unreliable!
Thanks for the link. It was a lot of work, but I'd still be at it if it were not for some of the solutions I found here. The problem with wild temp fluctuations being exhibit A.

Dr_Radium

Return to Things talk